Tube Amp Under $1,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I should clarify that I'm not actually reccomending the 2wpc Decware Zen be paired with the speakers you mention. Maybe some of the other suggestions here would work with them, but the Zen needs at least 96db sensitive speakers in my opinion.

Good luck and have fun.

2. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Regarding Decware...

I have had nothing but positive interaction with Steve and Decware. I'm not sure what issue you are referring to, but as an individual and a company, they are very reputable (IMHO).

3. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

I dunno. The TubeCube at 9:00 volume will blow you out of my small room (10x10). It's rated 3.5 watts. I use it around 7:00-8:00 most of the time. Just 2 watts of tubes may allow me to increase power of amp a bit to get to same volume, which always help enhance the music.

This thread has been mostly helpful. It's seems it's either the Zen, something used, or something non-valve that still improves sound from the little TubeCube7.

Thanks!!!

4. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks!!!

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Now you're opening things up ... <$1000 on any integrated amp or separates to improve upon the TubeCube7? Hopefully that can be done! Not that the TC7 isn't a screaming bargain (I haven't heard it).

To interface well with your current speakers ... in a small room you won't need tons of power of course. Maybe a Class A SS amp that's voiced a little on the warm side (if that's your preference)?

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Decware customer service is pretty amazing, actually. You can talk directly to the owner/engineer on the phone to ask questions before you buy. Front desk (Sarah) is available by phone or email during the build time, and is incredibly easy-going about tweaking your purchase and/or custom options if possible before or maybe even after the build begins. There is an updated spreadsheet you can check online every day if you like to see where your order is in the queue. You also get an email every step of the way while your build is happening ("parts pulled," "testing," "quality control," etc.). Once your order arrives, you get an email from Steve Deckert actually encouraging you to email him directly with any questions you may have about your new toy.

Yeah, it may take a day or two to get an email back once in a while, but remember that these people are actually building these amps themselves. With that in mind, the actual customer experience is pretty top-notch. Not to mention that Decware hardware sounds like god.

Shawn, beowulf, rischa and 1 other person like this.
  7. CB63

CB63 Well-Known Member

I’d urge you to check out the Elekit 8200DX. A DIY kit from Japan. $775. I absolutely love mine. Check out the review in Wall of Sound:
    Elekit TU-8200-DX integrated amplifier/headphone amplifier kit

8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

For $1095 I would recommend the KingKo KA 101 that I reviewed and own.

It now has a US distributor/dealer Kingko Audio KA101 Pro Headphone/Speaker Vacuum Tube Amplifier | Big Ear

I replaced my Line Magnetic 219IA ($7,500) with it. So don't let the small price fool you. I ultimately give the edge in sound to the 219iA but it's very close and very close for this price is remarkable.

Now the LM has more power and beefier output transformers - so the Kingko can't handle the impedance swings that the 219IA can handle. The Kingko needs a flat impedance higher impedance speaker - so while it says 12 watts - I would treat as a 4 watt amp to be on the safe side. Has no trouble with my AN E but doesn't like the KEF LS-50.

The big advantages of the amp - EL 84 which sound great, last long, cheap to buy. Auto-bias - in fact King tells me you can put mismatched tubes in and it will automatically match them - neat trick. Now has a light to turn off the meters. It is a true tube headphone amplifier and the Pro version has been upgraded to reduce the noise level. Plus you can use it as a power amp.

The downside for your initial post is that it is designed by a King from Hong Kong and manufactured by his engineer friend in China.

Plus it's nice and small but hefty at 25lbs.

[​IMG]

Ezd, rocnred, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  9. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

That looks insane value!

10. AmadeusMozart

AmadeusMozart Forum Resident

From 1998 to 2011 I have on a number of occasions bought a Chinese tube amplifier only to have them going out the door shortly afterwards. (Lived in Hong Kong from 1998 to 2000).

From necessity I now roll my own again. It helps that I was in the last class that studied valve technology at varsity and that I worked for Philips afterwards.

From the high power 4 x KT mono blocks to the ECL82 SE I like a 6BQ5 (EL84) SE in 20% UL the best. Am using a 5670 / 2C51 as driver with not too much NFB.

11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I love this review, because it mentions an amp I own - Coincident Dynamo SE, as comparison to the Elekit (a better one), and it states the same thing I've been saying all along my ownership of the Coincident - these low-power tube amps are mostly good with simple acoustic music. Not good, actually, but exceptional. And, to sound their best, they need high-efficiency, high-impedance speakers (full-range single driver or horn). Yet with more dynamic music they lose steam pretty quickly. So, anybody considering these amps should keep it in mind and know what kinds of music they intend to play with it, to avoid disappointment.

A few direct quotes from the review:

"The Elekit is a jazz trio’s dream come true."

"With most simple jazz and classical music, the Elekit had no trouble getting my Harbeth Compact 7s to loud volumes in my small to mid-sized listening room, and the amp coaxed all the sweet tone from Joe Pass’ solo guitar I could hope for, but with more demanding orchestral music the Elekit ran out of steam when I turned the dial to 12 and bass was somewhat too smooth—not flabby or wobbly but simply not dry enough for my liking no matter the volume. All that changed with my Tekton M-Lores which at 95dB and 8 Ohms are more sensitive and a better match for this amplifier."

"The one area in which the Elekit clearly loses out to my Coincident is in the bass grunt–there is ample bass (for me, but YMMV) but this amp is obviously not a perfect match for complex orchestral music or hard rock."

This is 100% in line with my own impressions/observations from owning a pairing of the Coincident Dynamo SE/Zu Omen Dirty Weekend II. So - I'm not crazy, after all.

I will add that even though the reviewer found my Coincident Dynamo SE to be a better unit (albeit more expensive), it pretty much still confirms everything outlined above. I call it my "Jazz amplifier". I played Pavarotti with it yesterday, and the sound was to die for - as though the tenor was singing in my room. But then I put an LP by a Brazilian electric guitarist Helio Delmiro on, with electric bass, serious drums, and electric keyboards - and the sound was laughably bad. I immediately switched to my other system, with a DD TT, SS amp, and 3-way cone speakers - and the improvement was indescribable - from shyte to gold.

If the OP is looking for a tube amp that will be universal in its ability to play pretty much any kind of music, I strongly suggest for a used push-pull unit with at least 25, but better 30-40 WPC of power, one that can push regular cone speakers with authority. I bought a PrimaLuna Four from Upscale Audio brand new for about $900 (IIRC) a couple of years ago, and with 35 WPC it has no trouble driving my Wharfedale and PSB towers. If you can get past the "not made in China" part, a used PrimaLuna or Mystere (a sister brand) should be your ticket.

So, caveat emptor (buyer beware).

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    bever70 likes this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I had terrible customer service from Decware, but, since as it seems, this is the exception to the rule, let's just forget about it.

About amps. OP, I really think that you are making a mistake by limiting your choices to US made amps only.
    There are some amazing Chinese made amps that offer better value and quality than a lot of American made equipment.
    Cayin, Line Magnetic, Melody, Meixing, the Kingo that @Richard Austen mentioned above, even the little Reisong A10 that was reviewed very positively recently by Steve Guttenberg offer great sound quality at reasonable prices.
    And that does not include the Primaluna, Icon Audio, etc. that are also made in China.

There are good American tube amps out there but they will cost you and there is no guarantee that they will sound better that the equivalent Chinese.

rocnred likes this.
  13. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks - this just about sums up the advice offered on this thread. Maybe I'll look for a good Chinese/ Asian valve with a US Distributor. I just want some support after purchase and a warranty with someone in US.

I am now also looking at SS Class AB amps. If I can get a really good one for under $1k from one of major manufacturers, that may be way to go.

5-String likes this.
  14. Rattlin' Bones

Great advice. I am now settled in on Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. Sounds like spending $1000+ on a low watt valve amp no matter where it's made would not make much of a difference with those speakers. With the TubeCube (3.5 watts) I notice the same thing Benzion mentioned. My treasured Kind of Blue CD (a really good one) sounds awesome. But put on a Beethoven symphony and the dynamics sound askew. The mix is rather mushy. It loses the preciseness of small ensemble. I thought going to an even lower watt amp like the least expensive Zen at 2 watts would allow me to turn dial up a bit to get same volume and thus help energize speakers, but that doesn't seem likely. So maybe a good quality Chinese 25+ watt valve. As in a previous post, I'm also looking at good SS Class A/B amps now. Less hassle, but will it sound as good?

15. Benzion

I just bought a NuForce STA200 - a licensed copy of a Swiss Goldmund design. 80 WPC in Class A/B. $499.00 liquidation price on AudioAdvisor, while supplies last, original MSRP $1,299.00. This will be my "summer amp" - a stand-in for tubed PrimaLuna, which heats the room while the A/C attempts to cool it down, and puts a strain on my old electrical wiring.

NuForce STA200 Power Amplifier-Audio Advisor

I also own a Parasound NewClassic 2250 V.2 - 250 WPC in Class A/B, doing a wonderful job in my main system, $999 at AudioAdvisor.

Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2 Two Channel Power Amplifier-Audio Advisor

They also sell the 2125 model, with about 150 WPC, for $599.

Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 Two Channel Power Amplifier-Audio Advisor

16. Rattlin' Bones

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The only SS amp that can compete with a quality tube amp is First Watt IMO. Anything else and you will not have great sound. First Watt would have to be used in the $1K cost limit.

RH67 likes this.
  18. Benzion

I don't think he is looking for either/or, but rather for both.

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

On Audiogon there is an Assemblage 300B amp for $1500, but has been there for three weeks unsold. The amp comes with lots of extra tubes, just state all you want is the EH 300B and one set of preamp tubes for savings. Make an offer.

The average used tube amp cost is about $5K. What you want is like saying I want an audiophile quality used TT for $100.

20. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Or that those amplifiers don't use Chinese parts. Pretty sure the American tube amp manufacturer has this thing called "fixed costs" which include things like the building and computers and their sales team have these things called smartphones and sit at desks with chairs. I'm willing to bet that some of those items are made in China - so China is in some form or other "part of" what makes that amplifier.

5-String likes this.
  21. Rattlin' Bones

Good point!

22. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

How about the Schitt Aegir for $799 (class A up to 20watts), and Schitt Sys preamplifier for $49? And when budget alllows, you can pair the Aegir with a better tube preamp for the best of both worlds. Made in U.S. taboot.

bever70 likes this.
  23. Rattlin' Bones

Yes I was looking at that. I have 2 Schitts now: Modi and Vali. I could use Vali as a pre-amp.

rischa likes this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

A Dared VP-845 is listed at US Audiomart for $1500. This is a great amplifier. Comes with extra tubes, ask seller only sell the amp with one set of tubes and make offer.

25. Rattlin' Bones

Any comments on pairing the Schiit Audio Aegir with Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers? The Wharfedale's are not all that sensitive. The Aegir is only 20 watts. But it's 20 watts of Class A. Would that be similar to 20 watts of valve power? Or Schiit Vidar be better choice, which is AB but 100 watts?

bever70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.