Tube Cube 7 is Toast

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paratus, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Paratus

Paratus Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a very modest 2-speaker set up in my office built around the Tube Cube 7. It's small form factor, tube-looks, and integrated amp/pre-amp was perfect for my office needs. The speakers are the very small Pure Acoustics that came with the amp as a kit. Everything worked great and then all the sudden the sound just reduce from "normal" to barely audible and then only out of one channel (left). The right is completely silent. I rechecked all connections and cannot locate the issue, so I can only assume my little Tube Cube is toast. I only had it a few months, so really disappointed. I need something to replace it with, but do not want to spend a ton of money as this is only for low-listening music in my office. Any ideas on a small form factor integrated amp for this purpose that's under $500?

2. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Did you try swapping tubes in each channel to verify it's not a bad tube?

jonwoody likes this.
  3. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Cheap and tubes can go along together but not for good and not for long. Old Chinese wisdom.

timind, gakerty, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  4. Paratus

no, but i suppose that's a good idea. i bought all new tubes and will replace them all when they arrive in a few days...if that doesn't work I'm chucking everything in the trash.

5. Paratus

Update and Final Resolution: Changed the tubes and that did not work. As promised, I chucked the whole thing in the trash. Buyer beware for anyone considering the Tube Cube 7...total garbage! I replaced it with the $239.99 OSD Audio Nero Stream XD...amp, preamp, DAC, and streamer all-in-one that is roughly the same form factor, plays perfectly with Roon, and sounds great (better than the Tube Cube did)! Listening to Alan Parsons Project right now and couldn't be happier. Problem solved.

timind and jonwoody like this.
  6. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

You really just trashed it? Sheesh. At least give to thrift shop or take for e-recycling. There's things in there that can be re-used. Transformers and box are probably fine and would make for a nice project, if you rip out the guts.

7. Paratus

Yes, recycle...to me that's the same as trash, but I should have been more clear. It's not in my house anymore...good riddance!

DyersEve726 likes this.