Tube dampers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oktapod, Sep 14, 2020.

1. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve been using red silicon damping rings on the smaller (signal) tubes on my amp. I can see that there are a few alternatives, such as the HAL dampers, at higher prices. Has anyone compared these fancier dampers to silicon rings (either single or multiple)? How’d that go? Worth the extra?

2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

I use Herbies tube dampers in my hybrid integrated amplifier and was so impressed with the uplift in sound that my phono stage now sports them.

Silicon rings could not hold a candle to the Herbies. ( in my system etc.):edthumbs:

3. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I like the Herbies, and use them on the driver tubes in my amps. My fav is from Brent Jessie, the brass rings are great if room is tight. If you have tubes that are spaced the big copper dampers are the best.
    Vacuum Tube Dampers / Vacuum Tube Coolers For Sale

4. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Had some luck with the military dampers further down on the webpage.

sturgus likes this.
  5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I tried sorbothane rings years ago. But they were messy since they tend welt themselves to hot tubes. But they did work. I have used cheap rubber O rings since them. They help a little, but its not a huge improvement. But they don't melt.

I've long planned on trying some of Herbies rings, but I've never gotten around to it.

chipcalzada likes this.
  6. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

What can one expect with using tube dampers? How does it affect SQ?

7. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

My experience is that it enhances clarity by reducing background noise.

Andy Saunders and chipcalzada like this.
  8. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

My experience has been exactly the same. I didn't find silicone rings to be of any use whatsoever. But the Herbie discernibly knocked down microphonicy liveliness on tubes for me across all kinds of different applications from hifi to guitar electronics (though I suspect some people like that added liveliness).

hi_watt likes this.
  10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Tighter more focused imaging, less artificial liveliness, better low level detail.

hi_watt and chipcalzada like this.
  11. chipcalzada

Interesting. Where is it more effectively applied? Preamp or Power Tubes?

12. Andy Saunders

I do not have power valves so pre-amp tubes here.

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The earlier a tube comes in the gain-chain, the more a lack of microphonics matters.

Therefore: Phono Preamp tubes > Line Level Preamp tubes > Power Amp gain-stage tubes > Power amp Driver tubes > Power amp output tubes.

14. chipcalzada

Thanks! @TarnishedEars, I'm glad that power output tubes are least important to dampen as my amp uses 8 KT88's.

15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I use Brent Jessee's brass rings on small preamp tubes, and silicone rings on the EL-34s. Other than a new smell in the bedroom from the silicone rings, I cannot say I can hear any difference. Not that there isn't, I just can't hear it...

mkane likes this.
  16. I own similar tube coolers/dampers made for the UK military but I don't use them on my Phono preamp but I keep them as I own some NOS tubes that are microphonic (that I'll most likely never use as I'm set for life of the tubes I like) and with these I've tried turning the volume all the way up and with these microphony is 100% gone.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  17. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio Forum Resident

My preamp has shields on each tube. Guess HK had it wrong

18. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The cheapest level of Herbie's tube dampers worked wonderfully when added to all the tubes in my phono preamp. I agree with Tarnished Ears, the earlier in the chain you use them, the more opportunity they have to squash extraneous noise before it gets amplified. I intend to eventually add them to my DAC tubes and my preamp tubes. The Herbie's site also says something about adding them to rectifier tubes and hearing the benefits for every tube that follows in the chain. Food for thought.

19. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

If I were to get dampers from Herbies, which ones are recommended to get? There is quite a price difference between the cheapest and the most expensive. It would be for a phono stage in my case

Andy Saunders likes this.
  20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

If this is for small signal tubes, then I recommend the cheapest level. I think it is the model 9 that works for all 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6DJ8, etc. sized tubes. The more expensive models become important when you are buying for very hot tubes, like output tubes, and some rectifiers.

ogdens_sliced likes this.
  21. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

Great, thanks!

IanL likes this.
  22. Scott222C

After reading this thread, I was curious and ordered 4 x Herbies Model 9 tube rings for one of my Scott 222C amps - to be honest, my audiophile phase is loong gone now and I was not really expecting anything out of these, but not a lot of money, so why not try something ............................... yesterday I got them and put them on the 4 12AX7 tubes ..............................

Well I was wrong I could clearly hear a marked improvement from the start, playing Weather Reports' first album, which I had played a day before repeatedly, there is now better separation, a bit more punch to the percussion instruments and so on - there was a little less overall volume too, so I had to increase the volume a bit, but I am really "shocked" how well those Herbies work in my setup :shrug:

23. chipcalzada

@Scott222C Glad to know it worked for you, I'm waiting for mine to arrive any day now. Will post my findings as well.

Scott222C likes this.
  24. Scott222C

Can't wait to read it :wave:

25. Andy Saunders

After speaking to Herbie's they recommended the Ultrasonic RX model for all small signal valves.:edthumbs:

Dischord likes this.