Tube integrated

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Springtime, Mar 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Springtime

Springtime Member Thread Starter

A question for you Tube enthusiasts, I am seriously considering a Tube integrated amp, but I am a virgin when it comes to these amps, however I do have the Ayon cd10 mk2, and the Ayon Ha3 mk2 headphone amp both tube, but this in no way makes me an expert with tubes, but it has introduced me to some degree an insight to how tubes can sound, the Ha3 has transformed how my Sennheiser hp800s sound. My obvious choice would be the Ayon Spirit V, of course there are many others, Primaluna, icon Audio, Pathos (hybrid) etc, but which if any will cuddle up to my Focal Kanta 2 speakers at 91 dB, of course I can’t rule out SS amps, but before I embark on the demo trail I would like your views. Regards. ( I live in the U.K.)

2. james

james Summon The Queen

3. Springtime

Thanks James regarding the Measurements, regarding which amplifier, it does suggest a 4ohm load, and tilting the speakers back should help, good info. Cheers.

james likes this.
  4. james

james Summon The Queen

I thought I’d include them for someone more knowledgeable than I to look at. With my limited knowledge, I’d be thinking solid state. They look like they measure similarly to my Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, if I recall correctly.

What’s driving the Focals now?

5. Springtime

Naim Supernait 2, and it does a reasonable job, and I could live with it, however since I upgraded my naim cdp for the Ayon cd10 tube player there’s more richness, the bass has improved, the music has opened up, the Ayon seems to be showing me theres more to be had from my amp, which has prompted my interest in a tube integrated, curiosity has got me thinking, of course solid state amps cannot be ignored, it’s just I’ve never heard a quality tube amp, if I am to better the Supernait, I may have to demo both SS & tube before iam sure.

james likes this.
  6. dgcurtis36

dgcurtis36 Well-Known Member

I am not an expert by any means but would recommend taking a look at the Raven Audio Avian series amps. I own a Blackhawk and am constantly amazed at the sound it produces. I originally had it hooked up to a pair of 86db Salk SS8’s which it drove with no trouble at all.

Jvalvano, Springtime and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Those Ravens look awesome.

Primaluna is a great way to get into tubes.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The Raven Audio amps do sound excellent.
    If you need more oomph the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III is a seriously powerful, refined sounding amplifier. Neutral out of the box but can be made much tubier sounding with some small signal tube rolling.

9. Springtime

Very nice amps, there’s nice video on you tube with the boss man of Raven. Cheers dgcurtis36

dgcurtis36 likes this.
  10. Springtime

Oh yes Rogue Audio, the Cronus mag 111 gets mentioned a lot in reviews, in fact HiFi news here in the U.K. gave it a glowing review, has with Raven & Rogue, they are built in house, that I like, also there seems more tube amp manufacturers over your side of the pond (ie Atlantic) not so many here in the U.K. I suppose that’s why I have used SS Amps for 40 years, but I think that’s going to change. Nice one.

11. nht2.9

nht2.9 Forum Resident

I have a VPI 299D. Only 100 hand made and they are perfect. You can get a good deal on them and better than Prima Luna I feel. Very old school look and sounds great. This was a labor of love by the owner of VPI. Do a search for reviews you will see what I mean.

bajaed likes this.
  12. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Vincent Audio

13. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I also wanted to switch to a tube integrated, but I ended up with a hybrid, the Vincent SV700, mainly for practical reasons.

I run the amp frequently during day and switching on the Vincent only takes some 15sec warming up. I can switch it to Class A or A/B, using A for serious listening. With A/B it gets less hot.

The Ayon Spitfire (SET integrated) or Spark are beautiful machines, but it takes quite some time to start up and then to get optimally warmed up. Not saying that this is a showstopper, but something to keep in mind for daily use.

I am very happy with the Vincent, specifically after replacing the Chinese tubes. For me it is the optimum combination of ss directness and tube musicality, and it drives many speakers easily.

14. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Since you are in the UK, definitely audition Icon Audio amps. I almost bought a pre power combo by Icon Audio years ago, after lengthy auditions of their product line. Very good amplifiers with a more liquid midrange than what you have now (Naim), and more tube magic than e.g. PrimaLuna. Both Naim and PL may be perceived as offering more control and quicker transients.

The Icon Audio Stereo40 is somewhat of a modern classic.

vudicus and Springtime like this.
  15. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Do you have a budget in mind? Because the Mastersound Evo 845 comes to mind, but it's a big investment. But 55watts of class A single ended tube sound would likely be an excellent match.
    There are more affordable options in their line, but with the Kantas I think it would pair nicely and you wouldn't need any changes for the long haul.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  16. Orbe

Orbe Forum Resident

Hifi Emporium have a Ayon Triton iii for sale 120w should drive the Kansas without a problem. It’s cost is 4.5k though probably in your budget seeing what other gear you have.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  17. Orbe

Orbe Forum Resident

Another option if you want new is the Cayin CS-845 A from Audioemotion. Only 24w class A but a lot of power behind them £5490 I am considered buying one of these.

chipcalzada likes this.
  18. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If you are considering a CMIII, look into options before you make a purchase. They build to order, so adding the options upfront is something you be forward thinking. These things weigh about 50 lbs. So shipping is going to get it upgraded isn't a really good option trans-Atlantic. I would contact them about available options. It's probably a good idea to discuss tube options. I doubt you'll opt to swap out the KT120 power tubes, but the preamp tubes can be custom tailored to fit your gear. You could ask for suggestions. They aren't really in the Tube business, so, I doubt they'd care if swapped out tubes after the purchase. What they care about is you buying their amp, and if helping you with tubes gets you down that path, they will help. Things I'd ask about is mono switches, if you play vinyl records. I think Rogue went back to the aluminum remote with the III. There were a lot of complaints about downgrading to a plastic remote with such a premium device, although you could have requested the upgrade when first purchased.

No Static likes this.
  19. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

20. Springtime

Yes, the Mastersound evo 845 would more than likely be a match for any speaker out there hands down, but it’s just out of my price range, sometimes budgets have to be kept in control, this hobby has a habit of just the opposite, £6000 Stirling is my budget, but his Coronavirus cannot be ignored, we in the U.K. are facing a total lock down soon, but if that’s the case I want to hopefully be locked down with a new amplifier, great suggestion displayname.

displayname likes this.
  21. Springtime

Thanks Orbe, I’ve seen it advertised, I haven’t ruled it out yet keepin an eye on it. London and Edinburgh have Ayon gear, but there’s more dealers in London with a bigger variety of top class tube gear, just got drive hours to demo them.

22. Springtime

Yet another quality amplifier and within budget. Cheers again orbe.

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Check and see if you have an Eastern Electric dealer.

Springtime likes this.
  24. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

You may find different markets have different pricing so when someone is in the UK certain products will make more sense. Most of these Push Pull amplifiers are not really original designs and some of the units made in China - you have to make sure the parts they claim to be using are the actual parts in the machine.

The Ayon from what I can tell is about $4,000 US based on the New Zealand price I found converted directly to USD. Since you already like Ayon I would probably just go with them. Chances are you'll just be splitting hairs. Ayon makes nice sounding amplifiers and they look nice as well.

One feature to try and get is an integrated with direct in (or pre-in) so that it can later be used as a power amp should you decide later to upgrade the preamp. Usually the weak-spot of all integrated amplifiers is the preamp section

I will add the Line Magnetic 150iA to your list. It is Chinese made but probably the best of the Chinese makes. This amp has easy biasing with on board meters and has pre-in. I believe it is more powerful than the Ayon as well. And they're sold in the UK.

[​IMG]

LM-150iA Integrated tube amplifier - Push Pull KT150 - 2x100W

brownmagic and Springtime like this.
  25. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I will second that from my own experience. I had an Integrated-- AudioSpace Ref 300B, the utility of which was extended by several years by the "direct" switch and a standalone preamp. The power section was really much nicer than the built-in pre. Neat feature, and I wish it were more common.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.