Tube Preamp help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by trumpetplayer, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey guys I'm thinking about upgrading to a tube preamp w/phono stage in the $1000 - $1200 range. Are there any good ones in that price range that I should audition? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I think in that price range you would be better off looking for something used from c-j, BAT, VTL or one of the other big name tube palyers.

3. timmikid

timmikid Forum Resident

Haven't heard it, but do a search on the Klipsch forum site and you'l hear only raves!

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/blueberry.html

BTW, sometimes Mark has trade-ins when his customers upgrade to the Xtreme BB (Blueberry), send him a mail, if interested.

4. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

5. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Check out the DJH Signature pre-amp from Audio Electronic Supply (Cary). It's $1200.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Juicy Music looks interesting. The 6Moons reviewer is knowledgeable.

7. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Gotta agree with this. It is difficult to get anything great for that price new, unless you build it yourself. There are some incredible bargains to be had secondhand. I sold a Manley Reference Preamp a couple of years ago for £1000. I had rebuilt the thing with a stepped attenuator, Black Gates, Cerafines, and Silver wire. All up it had cost me £6000.

Of course, the difficulty with buying second hand, is it is hard to audition.

Good Luck

David

8. Rivendell61

Rivendell61 New Member

Geoff,
    Mark Deneen--who is Juicy Music--is also a member here (or was: he has posted).
    I think he kind of hurt himself initially by deciding to screw convention and do the funky color schemes--he had too much confidence that people would look past it to the circuit and quality parts.... Now he is offering black.

As you know he did the Paragon 12 preamps way back--
    My impression from reading his posts at Klipsch is he has implemented a very high quality product in the 'Blueberry' and 'Peach'--selling direct keeps prices good .

I don't own any of his gear but he is a very responsive guy (I've emailed him) who goes way out of his way to help folks.

Another reason his product is worth considering is the 30 day money back guarantee.

Mark

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Check out an Audio Research LS-7. I think those may be in your range. ARC has provided over a decade of quality service to me (15 years actually).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.