Tube Preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeffrey, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1963 McIntosh C-22 tube preamp. The only remaining issue w/ her is the power switch, which generates a loud pop in the speakers when turned off. Is there any harm to the unit (or any of my system) if i use my Monster Power 2500 power conditioner to turn the tube preamp on and off just like i use it to turn my McIntosh 240 on and off??? In other words, leave the C-22's power switch permanently switched to the on position and let the Monster Power 2500 turn the unit on and off.

Howsabout it?,
    Jeffrey :)

2. seasideboy

seasideboy Senior Member

I'm certainly not an authority on the topic, but in my home recording studio, everything is turned on with my power conditioner except for the pre- and power amps. I daisy-chain everything together so one flick turns on outboard effects, recorder, etc. But the amps I turn on individually. I feel more comfortable that way. Something about having the amp switch on all the time in the setup you describe sounds like a problem waiting to happen. My home stereo setup doesn't use as many pieces of equipment, so I turn them on one at a time.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I do the same thing, Jeffery. I don't have real expensive Macs, but I do use Dynacos, Bottleheads, and the AES-PH1 (Carey) for the Phono.

If I turn either pre OR the Rega turntable, I get a loud pop too. I THINK it has to do with the fact that some of the amps used in the chain share a common ground in each circuit. I'm NOT sure. I do know turning on a SS amp is quick and quiet.

So, I use a Belken Isolator power strip and circuit breaker. It's mounted on the side of the downstairs tubey rack (see my profile) and one switch turns things on.

For the sake that I avoid the 3-4 loud pops every time I would have to shut down everything individually, AND the fact that I wouldn't want to forget to turn an amp off overnight, One switch! I just have to turn and see if the EL34's are glowing. I just hit the rocker switch, and go to bed guiltless.

In my case, there is a reason for the unified switch.

Upstairs, yes, I turn off 4-6 units before going to bed.

4. cwon

cwon Active Member

Jeff,
    Are you turning your preamp off BEFORE you turn off your power amps? This can cause a pop. The turn on sequence is usually power amps on last, off first - then turn on/off transients don't reach your speakers. See if that helps.

Someone told me to just think of power amps like your shoes - put them on last, take them off first.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Very good advice, to anyone with separate components.

6. Jeffrey

Hi,

Yesiree, the preamp is the first thing i'm turning off. I actually have the amp directly connected to the power conditioner b/c the amp does NOT have an on/off switch. I could, of course, daisy chain the amp into the preamp but i "think" the amp is getting a better power source by plugging it directly into the high current outlet of the power conditioner. I have the pre plugged into the other high current outlet of the power conditioner and both high current outlets are switched. All of my sources are plugged into unswitched outlets on the power conditioner so if i ALWAYS leave the preamp's power switch in the on position and turn off the power conditioner first, then the pre and amp will turn-off first (at the same time) and turn-on last. Does that sound like the best approach?

Geez... i hope that makes sense. :)

-Jeffrey

7. Jeffrey

Hi Sckott,

That sounds like a VERY NICE setup, to me! :thumbsup: I've always wanted to hear one of those AES-PH1's in my setup.

Did i understand you correctly, all of your downstairs gear is always left in its' power on position and you only switch them w/ your power strip?

-Jeffrey

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

That's how the monster conditioners work, as long as you plug your components correctly.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes. I have NO problems with popping in this case. Heck, everything takes 25 seconds to heat before it starts playing music. Turning it off, no pops. Just a very slight pip, then very slight crackling as it dies off. Just.....zz..z.. z.z.... z................then silence.

One simple rocker switch, and the Isolator's done very well. I love the Ph1. I just woulnd't recommend it as your 1st kit you'd ever built :eek: I almost lost my head trying to build it.

10. Jeffrey

Hi Ron,

Maybe ya missed the point of my question. :) Yes, that is the way the Monster power conditioner will work IF you leave all of your components permanently left in the power ON position. I've got the components plugged into the Monster power conditioner correctly BUT i want to make sure it is OK to leave my preamp ALWAYS left in the power on position and use the Monster conditioner to turn it on and off. Make sense?

-Jeffrey

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's not good. As others have said, the preamp should not be turned off while the power amps are running.

OK. so you want to use the power conditioner to control the amp since it does not have a on-off switch.

The amps will get better power plugged into the wall. But unless you have switched outlets you have to turn the amps off by pulling the plug. So it appears that plugging the amps into the conditioner makes some sense.

And the reason for this is?

Let's see, I'd plug the preamp into the wall and leave the wall switch turned on at all times. I'd plug the sources into the unswitched conditioner outlets, and I'd never turn the conditioner off, and I'd never turn the sources off. I'd plug the power amps into the switched outlet of the conditioner.

To fire up the system I'd turn on the preamp using its switch, wait a bit, and then mute the output. Then I'd turn on the switched outlet of the conditioner to fire up the power amps.

After listening, mute the preamp, turn the power amps off at the conditioner, turn the preamp off at the preamp, leave the sources running.

("Never" means "never under usual conditions". If you see a storm coming, unplug everything!)

PS. As you can guess, I hate conditioners with amps.

Regards,
    Geoff

12. Jeffrey

Hi Geoff!

THANKS for the reply! I understand and like your idea but my room has one problem, there is only one dual wall plug w/ one plug being used on the forementioned audio power conditioner and the other used on a seperate video power conditioner running 3 VHS, 2 DVD, 1 SACD, 1 TV, etc. With this additional (sorry, i never thought to mention this! ), what do you recommend?

Thanks again,

13. cwon

cwon Active Member

It sounds like the Monster power conditioner will deliver power to the correct plugs in the proper sequence. I'm not familiar with the Monster conditioner, but if it does that, it should be safe to leave your preamp in the ON position all the time and use the conditioner as the master switch.

We use a Furman power sequencer in our school chapel to make PA activation "foolproof" and we leave everything plugged into it in the on position - one master switch - no turn on/turn off thumps. Great for peace of mind.

FYI, the Furman we use is their model PS8.

14. Metralla

I recommend you down size!

Man, you sure have some gear. So when you meantioned the other conditioner and its sources, that doesn't include the SACD player. What sources are they - don't tell me! Tuner, CD, cassette, turntable?

I am shocked to hear there is only one duplexed outlet in the whole room. I'm in a thirty year old apartment and there are 6 duplex outlets in the lounge room!

What about this: the preamp from an unswitched outlet on the conditioner, the power amp from a switched, the sources from an unswitched.

Then mute the preamp, turn off the switched outlet to stop the power amp, then wait 30 secs and turn off the preamp at the preamp itself.

This is like a Chinese puzzle. Do you have a picture of this little lot? I'd be amused to see it.

Regards,
    Geoff

15. Jeffrey

Hi cwon,

Yesiree.... your advice worked perfectly! The thump b gone! :thumbsup:

I love the shoe analogy and it will make it easy for me to remember! :) I hadda take the preamp from a high current (switched/timed outlet) to a low current outlet to accomplish the purpose via the Monster power conditioner. I resisted doing that before b/c i thought the preamp sounded better in a high current outlet BUT not a large enough difference to put up w/ the thump!

THANKS!,

16. Jeffrey

Hi Geoff,

As always, your advice is EXCELLENT! :thumbsup:

As far as down sizing goes....... stop talking to my wife and leave me the hell alone! :laugh: :D

Our house is an open floor plan and the center room (main room) where i have my gear only has one duplex outlet on the wall the gear completely lines. I would literally hafta run extension cords the length of the room to get access to other outlets. :shake:

I don't have a wide enuf lens to get everything into the same pic! :D If i can find one i'll post some component pics later.

THANKS,

17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

What kind of amplifier doesn't have a power switch?

Based on what you've described, I would buy a cheap power strip that has an on/off switch, allowing you to turn your amp off first and on last.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Marantz 8B and others, McIntosh 30, 40, 60, 75, 240, 275.

These classic amps were designed to be powered up by the preamp, being plugged into the "switched" plug.

19. Metralla

But it will affect the sound.

When I first got my Arcam Alpha 10 and Alpha 9 combination a couple of years ago I bought one of the more expensive power strips at Fry's - maybe $25. I didn't even think about it, but wanted to plug in more than two components to a duplexed outlet.

After a few months on AA, I was reading about after-market power cords and was thinking that I needed to try those, and then I read that outlets affect the sound.

That struck me as far fetched, but I unplugged the amp and CD player from the power strip and plugged them straight into the wall. Whoa! Significant improvement - but the start of a slippery slope, leading to a whole slew of TG Audio (Bob Crump) power cords and ACME Audio silver-plated outlets.

All good stuff too that made a serious improvement.

Regards,
    Geoff

20. Jeffrey

Hi Geoff,

:agree: :D :agree:

-Jeffrey

21. Jeffrey

I'm trying to post a pic and don't know what i'm doing! :laugh:

22. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist