Tube rolling in Line Magnetic 518ia

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Am very much loving the 845-B power tubes. This amp is insanely good.

wwright and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Change to some high-quality proven NOS tubes and you'll be way more amazed at what your amp can do.

3. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Hi, new owner of a LM518IA here.

Concur with changing the 0.33uf decoupling cap that goes from the 6P3P to the 845. I used Mundorf Supreme SilverGold 1000V. That made more a difference to my ears than changing the tubes to NOS (Mullard 6L6 and Tele 12AX7).

The original 0.33uF cap is a 1000V. I have a feeling the 845 is fixed biased so while 1000V should be plenty, it might be a bit tight for the 600V/630V caps. We'll have to do the calculation for it. In either case, a bit of a headroom is always a good thing so I went with the 1000V cap.

I have yet to change the other 2 caps. the 0.022uF that goes from the 1st stage to the 2nd stage 12AX7, and the 0.1uF goes from the 2nd stage 12AX7 to the 6P3P. These 2 decoupling caps should be as important as the 0.33uF if not even more. I have ordered Jupiter Copper for them. The space is a bit tight but someone else I saw managed to fit a rather large V-CAP in that space so it should be ok.

BAY, Echoes Myron and timind like this.
  4. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

any rectifier recommendations other than the Philips 5R4GYS? those are rather hard to find and upscale are only selling them to existing customers.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Mani Sundaram

Mani Sundaram Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late entry, but I am running Elrog 845s, RCA NOS 5ar4, Ken Rad 6v6, and Amperex 12ax7 tubes. Phenomenal combination. The Elrogs are expensive, but the difference in sound is considerable.

wwright, Echoes Myron and jmpsmash like this.
  6. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Can you describe the difference in sound quality between the Elrog 845s and the stock tubes?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. BAY

BAY New Member

Hi, any update on Jupiter Copper upgrade? any impact on sound?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.