Tube Rolling - Yaqin MS-30L

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

New to tubes, and tube rolling.

I would like to upgrade power tubes in Yaqin MS-30L. Originally it came with EL34B by a Chinese company named Electra Tube.

What do you think about these potential upgrades?

6CA7 Electro Harmonix
    EL34 Electro Harmonix
    EL34 Mullard
    EL34B Tung-Sol
    KT77 Genalex Gold Lion

Thank you!

2. It depends on what would you like to achieve by tube rolling.
    Tung Sol's are the closest of what you already have, maybe a little better quality and more reliability but that should be it.
    6CA7 would give you more bass, KT77 would give you more top end, low end, and very small mids, and El34 EH or Mullards are the closest to a real EL34 sound, with more mids (as much as new production tubes can achieve).

DoF likes this.
  3. DoF

I would you like to achieve more details, and a bit more trebles.

KT77? El34 EH or Mullards?

Thanks!

PS. Just changed the whole preamp tubes set to 6Ż1P-EW NOS.

4. You're welcome!
    Then if that's what you want, KT77's are the way to go, at least they are the ones that have more of that than your EL34B. With any other choice of that list you will have less trebles.

Personally I'm not a big fan of KT77's, I prefer normal EL34 sound, but that's because I prefer mids and I find EL34's more musical, but if I wanted to achieve what you want, I'd go for the GL KT77's. It might be too harsh in ultralinear mode though if you have bright speakers. But those are the tubes to go to get the sound you want.

DoF likes this.
  5. Also you'd probably get that by rolling the small signal tubes, but I'm not familiar with 6Ż1P-EW tubes, sorry...
    Usually small signal tubes do have a major impact in sound than rolling power tubes, particularly if they are from the same family.

6. DoF

What would you get for yourself from the list I posted? Would you change antyhing, or leave it the way it is?

7. From that list I'd go for the Mullards or the EH EL34. I will always pick the EL34 that doesn't add any letter after, like B, L, II, etc...

8. DoF

Can you please name the main sound difference between the ones I have and El34 EH or Mullards? Thank you!

9. Sure, by swapping Mullards or EH's you will get more mids, and less top end and low end. You will get more realism in mids, guitars and voices, but you will lose some detail that is what you are looking for.
    Keep in mind that the difference is quite subtle, it's not gonna be night and day. But basically that's how your system will respond to that tube rolling.

DoF likes this.
  10. DoF

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it :)

Stonegarden71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.