Tube warm up complicating my listening

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

That sound like a smart move. I'm pretty convinced that with stereo, if you want the best sound and you have a limited amount of time for listening, leaving your gear on is the way to go. When I was running solid state stuff, I never turned it off. I know my Carver amp had to have been on for 15 years. I only turned it off if a big storm was coming or I left the house for extended periods.

bhazen, TarnishedEars and Tim 2 like this.
  2. Spin Doctor

My preamp seems to run fairly cool. And since it's been in service since about 1997, I can't say that leaving it on has a detrimental effect and I bought it used, lol. I've only change my preamp tubes twice since I've owned it and then it was only to try something different. None of them have ever failed. Which is a little odd because my preamp has a reputation for eating tubes, but I've never found that to be the case.

[​IMG]

3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I hear ya. I used to do the exact same thing. If burning through the tubes faster doesn't bother you, then this is a decent option.

However, make sure that your preamp has a good working fuse. I had one almost burn my house down once when its power transformer overheated and shorted-out.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  4. TarnishedEars

You must have some really high-quality tubes in there to last that long, because they do indeed eat tubes. You might be shocked at how much better your modulus would sound if you put some fresh tubes in though.

5. Spin Doctor

Yeah. With the tubes, I never leave the amp on, but honestly, sometimes with the preamp, I just forget to turn it off. If it hasn't blown up by now, I'm hoping that I'm good in that regard.

6. Spin Doctor

I put in some Gold Lions last time I changed them, which was maybe a year ago. It sounded better, but not all that different. So thinking about it, I changed them 3 times since 1997. I ran Soveteks for a long time, then JJ's and then Gold Lions. I put Gold Lions in the amp also, and they sounded great but two burned out in less than 6 months. So I went back to JJ's, which are less refined, but more robust.

7. TarnishedEars

Occasionally forgetting is fine. I do that too, and when I do, sometimes I'm actually happy about forgetting because it means that I can start listening immediately.

8. TarnishedEars

Glad to hear that the Russian tubes hold-up in that preamp! Many tubes don't.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  9. Spin Doctor

Whenever I change the tubes, I give everything a good look over and the boards looked good. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure the Gold Lions are still in there, but I'd have to look at my notes to say for sure. I keep some half ass records of what gets changed, when and why. I also note any sonic differences, but my system isn't hyper-resolving enough to have a tube make a very huge difference. Some stuff is better with a change and some stuff isn't. But overall it's a really good realistic sounding kit, so I don't have to worry about tube rolling too much.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    TarnishedEars likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Why not just turn your tube rig on a couple hours before you want to listen? I don't see the issue here ...

This. :)

Spin Doctor and George P like this.
  11. Spin Doctor

The guy/shop I bought it from told me that if I put in a set of good NOS tubes, that preamp would get to a new level. I was told the same thing by the gentleman who started Tone Audio magazine. Apparently he was a fan of that pre, back then. But for me, I can't see dropping that kind of dough for something as fragile as a set of tubes.

12. TarnishedEars

They are correct. But if you are satisfied with the GLs, then that's fantastic! Dare not try the good stuff, or its going to cost you dearly...

FWIW: I try my best to find combinations modern tubes which sound good inside of my gear instead of paying ridiculous prices for NOS tubes. But sometimes there is simply no good substitute for a certain NOS tube in certain positions.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  13. SRuddy

SRuddy Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread and no disrespect to the op but this really made me laugh.

showtaper likes this.
  14. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

10 minute warmup then it just gets better.

15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Mine takes at least an hour to sound its best, but is very listenable after a few minutes. If I know I am going to have a listening session in the evening, I will turn it on an hour or so in advance, but if not it's no big deal.

The only time it really matters is if I am doing critical listening for a new component, tweak or album.

16. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Yes here's a tip-o-the-hat to you, Agitater. At some point get over the equipment and just listen to the music. But, probably the difference between audiophile/ hobbyist and musician or music lover.

17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Reason #10,000 I won't own tube stereo gear (I do have a number of tube guitar amps). I always turn of my solid state audio systems as I hear no difference for the first minute of listening to the last. I gave up on tube stereo systems back in the late 60's. PITA. I interested in music, not tube rolling, long warmups, or all the other issues with tube based stereo. I don't like the so-called 'warm' sound of tubes in this usage, it's just mild distortion IMO.

18. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I agree with the 45 minutes for tubes to sound their best. That's about when I've finished my first Old Fashioned! :righton:

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Mine sounds great within 15 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.