Tubed pre without exposed tubes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiorocks, Apr 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Now, those are some serious capaci-taters...nice!

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The "big" tubes will be present on a preamp because those run tube rectifiers vs tube preamps with solid state rectification. Try Googling preamps with tube rectification.

trd and audiorocks like this.
  3. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Most run 12ax7/12au7 tubes. Those are relatively small tubes. Even one with tube rectification would use just one 5U4 or similar. That one is bigger, but still not like those 300B tubes SET amps use.

trd likes this.
  4. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

How about Allnic. Big DHT tubes with individual tube enclosures.

5. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I've been been saving up for the Atma-Sphere MP-1 or MP-3. They are both truly balanced.

6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

If by big tubes you mean DHT's like 300Bs you will generally find them not enclosed for superior heat dissipation. Most preamp tube types, the various 12's, 6DJ8's, 6SN7's can and usually are enclosed.

7. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I'm a lazy butt and no remote is good. Audio Note preamps have a really satisfying volume control. One for each channel. You will want to turn them. Not some flimsy volume control.

If you use a computer as a source you can remote control your volume via your mouse. If you play records or CDs you have to get up to put those on right? So while you are up just set the volume. I don't miss the remote.

The Audio Note M1 Phono is in the $2500 range I believe. It's very good.

jonwoody likes this.
  8. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Not all volume controls are flimsy. And I wouldn’t call having two separate volume knobs as being satisfying. It a nightmare for those with OCD. Also not a fan of the clicks in the step attenuators. Much prefer a smooth volume knob. To each their own.

9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Although I use remote almost exclusively the Volume pot on my soon to be departing Accustic Arts preamp is tactically fabulous. Fantastic weight and velvety smooth feel I almost wish I could use it exclusively. I must be nuts to even think about a volume pot that way.

10. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Both of my preamps are fully enclosed:

Audible Illusions M3b

Rogue Audio RP-1

11. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The ModWright LS-100 has an enclosed rectifier tube and a pair of 6SN7s. This actually creates an issue because my favorite versions of these were too tall for the enclosure. So I had to run it with the top off.

12. Khorn

That’s the preamp I’m waiting for. Which tubes didn’t fit?

13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The Philips 5R4GYS rectifier is too tall for the LS-100. That is a killer tube and hard to believe it makes that much of a difference. Upscale still sells them at a ridiculous price. Philips 5R4GYS Made in Holland

Also my favorite 6SN7 is the Shuguang CV-181 Black Treasure. I can't remember if that one fit or not, but it is also large.

The LS-100 is a great preamp, did you get the phono board?

14. Khorn

Due to physical disability I’m only using streaming as a front end. I’m going to run the stock tubes initially to establish a base line for the sound. If I really like the stock I won’t change but, if I did explore different tubes I wouldn’t be adverse to leaving the top cover off if necessary.

15. Bodhi1

Bodhi1 Active Member

That is too general a question. What is your budget? And what amps are you running?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.