Tubes 12AU7 vs. 5814A

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clay, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just checked my Mac C20 tubes with my new Heathkit tube tester.

I realized I am running GE 5814A in the 2 x 12AU7 sockets.

All the rest are Dynaco Telefunken 12AX7 and 1 mullard 6x4.

Please advise if I should get some 12AU7 tubes or if the 5814 is the preferred substitute for this amp.

Thanks,

Clay

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

5814 is an industrial equivalent number for 12AU7. In other words, the same tube.

digreyfox, jcmusic, attym and 6 others like this.
  3. Clay

Thank you Steve.
    Would you suggest getting Telefunken 12AU7 to improve the sound over the GE 5814?
    Thanks, Clay

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Hi Clay, steve has said before that the Tele 12AU7's are not that good. Bugleboys,Mullards, and RCAs are the main choices for good 12AU7's.I've been comparing Mullards and Bugleboys in my 240 amp. Changes the sound a bit, the Bugleboys have more high end response, Mullards have more midrange.

BTW, did you just get your tube tester?

5. Clay

Hi Ron,
    I did find a Heathkit tube tester TC3 for $40. It is easy for a non techie guy to operate. It is great to be able to test the tubes myself. One good looking Mullard EL34 tested 0.

I put togheter a quad of mullards for my ST70. sounds much better than the solveck (sp?) and even the Siemens.

I have some old RCA black plate 5814. I will try them on your suggestion in the Mac.

All the Dynaco Tele's 12ax7 tested over 93%.

6. Steve Hoffman

Telefunkin 12AU7's are sssslow and kind of muddy. Good for "dumbing down" bright tube gear; I used them in my old annoying McIntosh 275 before I sold it.

There are many different kinds of 12AU7's from the Golden Age, British Mullards and Dutch Amperex Bugle Boys being the best (but different from each other) and most reliable. PLEASE NOTE: I've found a bunch of GE 12AX7's and 12AU7's that are really Mullards (with the "Made in Gt. Britain" right on them) but re-branded GE. So, for like $3.00 each I got brand new 1960's $50.00 Mullards. Always look carefully at your tubes!

B_a_R, Dafox and fortherecord like this.
  7. Clay

Great information.

Thank you very much.

I will looking forward to hearing the Mullards and Amperex 12AU7s in the C20.

I still need a few more Grover cables and some DIY speaker cables to get the most out of my electronics.

8. MikeP

MikeP Member

Hi Clay,

I use 12AU7's in my preamp and I've done some tube rolling. I liked the Amperex Bugle Boys a lot , but the the best tube I found by far was the Amperex 7316 PQ. Just great from top to bottom. Can't say for sure they'll be the best for you, but most people I know who've tried them have stayed with them. They can be a bit hard to find and can also get pricey, but if you're patient you can occaisionaly find a pair for a reasonable price on ebay (or maybe a local tube dealer).

Cheers,
    Mike

jcmusic likes this.
  9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I use 6198 JANs for 12AU7's. Usually RCA's. Just my preference :)

10. Steve Hoffman

Just a reminder, a 5814A is the same as a 12AU7.... Just a lot cheaper.

B_a_R and wwright like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Bumped by request..

12. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Testing a Amperex 5814A tube in the center slot (preamp) on a Rogue Cronus Magnum II. So far so good, nice detail but not bright.

13. Steve Hoffman

Typed in some info for a 5814 and this very thread came up. I forgot my own info! Same as ECC82/12AU7..

14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

IMO 5814s are the real sleepers in the 12AU7 domain. I have really liked the sound of the 5814s which I have tried.

15. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I’ve had an RCA 5814a triple mica tube in my Cronus as well. It ‘s my favorite of the tubes that I’ve tried so far in the center slot.

wwright likes this.
  16. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I have tried the following 12AU7's in my Jadis mono blocks...RCA Clear tops, Mullards, GE's and Tele's...to my ears the Tele's are the most musical. The RCA's are good but not quite as musical as the Tele's... in my amps.

17. Steve Hoffman

Bumped by request..

18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Although the 5814 replaces the 12AU7 it is a redesigned 12AU7 by RCA to reduce distortion. First 12AU7s were shipped to Collins Radio and Collins reported the tube had too high distortion. It is a fact 12AU7 do have unusually high distortion. But, used as a phase inverter in many amplifiers the high distortion does not show up much vs being used as an amplifier tube. It is not that bad as seen on the plate curves below (top pix), but not near as linear as a stellar 6P5 tube (middle pix). If I had an amp with 12AU7, I would sub a 6CG7 tube. (plate curve lower pix).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    RunningWithScissors likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I had RCA 5814s and they were bright and edgy. Went back to the RCA 5963 black plate, smooth and refined in that particular application, amp phase drivers.

20. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

+1 5963

Otlset and dj_w like this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

5963 appears to be a good 12AU7 swap. I suggested a 6CG7, but it needs the filament wires changed. 5963 is drop-in replacement.

Otlset and Lowrider75 like this.
  22. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

5963 is a very good tube. Your RCA 5814A was not a good fit for your component/system. I've had good luck with that tube over the years.

Otlset, dj_w and jonwoody like this.
  23. fireflames

fireflames Forum Resident

5814a black plates from sylvania are really great, and cheaper than most 12au7s...

24. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm quite fond of the GE 5814s. But I doubt that these are still the bargain that they used to be.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  25. fireflames

fireflames Forum Resident

any old 5814 are really good, like Sylvania Gold Brand 5814, GE 5 stars etc...

TarnishedEars likes this.