Tubes 12AU7 vs. 5814A

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clay, Jul 6, 2003.

1. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I have some 12au and 12ax that are branded Hammond and are made in GB. Also have several GE and Sylvania made in GB 6bm8. You are right. Pay attention to details!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Correct!

3. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Sylvania JAN 6189 is a fantastic tube for little money. In my DAC, I prefer it over the famous Mullard boxplate M8136 (another 12AU7 equivalent).

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

You’re MC275 was bright sounding? Which iteration was it, the MC 275CE?

5. Steve Hoffman

Mine was from 1966 or so. Sounded nothing like my MC30's, sadly. I thought it would 'cause everyone told me it would. Everyone wuz wrong.. :^)

The guy who bought it wanted it for one reason. I told him the McIntosh 240 had more of that holographic tone but he didn't care. The 275 was bigger. Simple as that.

fortherecord likes this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I never owned a 12AU7 equipped tube amp, but that 5963 plate curves are superior to the 12AU7 unless you run those 12AU7s at maximum current and the 5963 still looks better at medium to maximum current.

7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Om top of the 12at7 preamp tubes I'm using, I didnt know the 6cg7 can actually change the sound too. I found a nice NOS stash in my cabinet.

8. Werwolf

Werwolf Active Member

Here comes that age old question that truly cannot be answered honestly, suggesting 1 over the other Preamp tubes and what is "best". In the 50 years I have been selling servicing building and modifying audio gear, Fact is the same factor of relative sound quality or "tone" from 1 person to another. BUT!
    all human's ears are not the same, So, fact is 1 XXXXX tube in "center slot" may be great for your ear/style/tastes, But It may be totally Wrong for the person you just recommended to change tubes, sadly you can't audibly audition tubes in the store, But I would definitely recommend "road testing" many types of the Industrial dual triodes out there. Prices are great TBH since you guys all made the others $$$$$$.
    The truth is the 5814A tube was designed as an Industrial valve with higher quality construction ( ie) heavier filaments, plates even thicker glass envelopes to meet Military, Industry and had closer adherence to quality. All 4 numeric digit tubes are there for better quality overall. Yes these factors effect "tone" that 4-letter word I've grown to hate. :) Just One man's beer is another's champagne.
    My favorite is the 5814A's in my SVTs front end, and again every tube is different even among brands, (Older RCA's verses new runs etc.)
    I Built a hot swap preamp substitution box that extended the driver tube socket out to a 6-position switch with 6, 9 pin sockets and a separate heater transformer, The sound is easily compared with the twist of a knob. "My guitar player still has it strapped to his Marshall for our Pink Floyd Tribute band, there are 6 different tubes and 6 different sounds, \
    As always Keep on experimenting with things. Try an old worn-out tube with half its life gone, It may be the sweetest thing your amp needed to cure its distorted bite in mellower genres,
    Wolf Out!

AVphile likes this.
  9. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Just found a nos pair of Amperex 7316 in my stash that I’ll have to try.

morinix and lj905 like this.
  10. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

Did you try them?

11. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Perhaps a dumb question:

On a integrated amplifier that uses a pair of 12au7 tubes (or alternatives) on the preamp section (Rogue Sphinx, for example) what is best option:
    a) to have an unmached unbalanced pair of NOS tubes
    b) to have of matched balanced pair of modern tubes
    c) to have balanced 12au7 tubes no matter if they are matching

Once asked JJ why they didn’t offer matched 12au7 type of tubes and the answer was the it is irrelevant for the kind of use they are intended in audio circuitry. Is this right?

My question only makes sense when forced to keep tube-rolling costs down (or tube substitution when the stock ones fail) because the obvious and better choice is matched NOS, like those from Amperex or Mullard.

12. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Timely of this to pop back up, have 12ax7’s in my integrated, designer suggested I try some 12au7’s. Anyone using valvo’s? Have one in my phono stage but wasn’t the easiest to get at the time.

13. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Are the 7316 red tip going to be of the same quality as those marked PQ?

14. B_a_R

B_a_R Forum Resident

I’ve found that if the circuit design using a pair of preamp tubes for input gain (12AU7, 12AX7, etc..) that finding a pair that has decently matching gains on the first triode (if that is how the tube is implemented) is a good way to go. If the tube is in the phase inverter section, balanced triodes are favorable. Amplitrex and some other testers out there can show the gain numbers per triode.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    AVphile and Naka9 like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

16. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I agree with this 100% I have a few pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 7316's and nothing I have tried is better period. I do have some extra's to sell if interested..

morinix likes this.
  17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

AVphile and Lowrider75 like this.
  18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

There’s something to be said about tube rectification as both the MC30s and MC60s were the best sounding tube amps McIntosh ever made. Restored, they still compete with the best amps out there!

19. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

How used are these, what do the strength numbers represent?

20. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The picture makes these look pretty good. But that tell me nothing about their electrical performance.

The strength number 56 which was mentioned is the minimum value which the TV-7 tester manual specifies is still good for a 12AU7. This is just a relative number as the TV-7 lacks scale which is calibrated to read in micro-Mhos.

Dafox likes this.
  21. Those are are rare birds! Great tube!

22. Wow! :yikes: I stumbled upon a little stash of those at a surplus place once. They were Tektronix branded and the numbers were barely visible. Stunningly good 12au7 variants.

jcmusic likes this.
  23. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Maybe, BUT they do not sound as 'musical" according to many who have used them. I actually have a lot of 10 used pulls that test new I bought for 15.00 several years ago. Have not actually tried any myself, but I will someday.