Tulsa King

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

This 'dramady' starring Sylvester Stallone is a lot of fun! It has a cookie-cutter of a plot, a NY wiseguy gets sent to Tulsa, but believe it or not, Sly's charm is the big winner here. Honestly, I haven't seen any of Stallone's work in over a decade, I have no interest in another version of Rocky, Rambo, or the Expendables so this series is a pleasant surprise. I read something today that was illuminating. Stallone sez a weekly series is SO much harder than making a movie. He's practically saying he's not going to do it again so this season will be a one and done! Taylor Sheridan's run is still going strong, the dude has yet to make a bad project. The sequel to 1883, 1932, starring Harrison Ford, Helen Merrill, and Timothy Dalton is coming out this month. I'm in!;)

dlemaudit, ex_mixer, 905 and 5 others like this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've been watching this and really liking it. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Kind of reminds me of Lillyhamer in its premise.

Shawn, jeroemba, fitzysbuna and 3 others like this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Or maybe a reverse McCloud?

RSteven and mmars982 like this.
  4. I like it. It's a fun show.

ex_mixer, 905 and RSteven like this.
  5. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

It's one of the best things on television right now--no small feat considering how high quality TV is in 2022. Sly's legend is cemented, but He's got the opportunity to do some of His best work with this series--He certainly looks the part, especially with the beard and the salt 'n pepper hair. Dwight "The General" Manfredi has followed the tenets of "Omerta," and despite that, it hasn't turned Him into an insane lunatic--I like that the character read copious amounts of literature while in the klink, and while He can be menacing when needs be, He exudes a "Renaissance Man" vibe, though I suspect that's a bit of Sly Himself shining through ("charm," as per the O.P.'s post).

"What's happened to the world in twenty five years? GM's gone electric, a phone is a camera, a cup of coffee costs FIVE dollars, and The Stones--bless Their Hearts--are still on Tour!"--"The General" ;)

- siyt

dlemaudit and 905 like this.
  6. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Only two episodes in and enjoying it. Some smart scripting.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we are going to watch it, just haven't started it yet.

a hidden stallone gem, if you haven't seen it, is 'cop land'.

8. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Its been a cool show so far. Not too realistic but very enjoyable. I keep seeing the comedian Joey Diaz in Stallone's role and it has me laughing even harder. It would have been the perfect role for Joey.

agaraffa and budwhite like this.
  9. Chazro

Stallone seems to be having the time of his life, this show is getting better with each episode. Great to see some Sopranos royalty showing up, Annabella Sciorra and Max Casella!

905, Humbuster and Bruce Racket like this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

If you hadn't posted this, and I continued to not read credits, I never would've recognized her !

11. Really enjoying this show, Stallone is excellent in the role. The rest of the cast is pretty great too.

Zep Fan, misterbozz and RSteven like this.
  12. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Is this on Netflix?

13. Paramount+

905 likes this.
  14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Boo. I don't have that one.

15. Yeah I understand. I think they usually offer 1 week free ‘deals’ so you could go that route if you want and cancel before any billing starts?

aorecords likes this.
  16. Chazro

Good episode! "It's the fkn Village People out here", LOL! Sly looks like he's having a blast on this show!

905, Dubmart, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  17. Good so far.

RSteven likes this.
  18. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I’m really enjoying this, great cast and the plot is moving along, lotsa fun.

RSteven likes this.
  19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm three episodes into it and like it. Sly seems like he's enjoying himself and it's good to see an aging actor working. It's going to be raining here today so I'll be watching more episodes today.

dlemaudit, 905, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  20. ssmith3046

I believe there's only one more episode left, episode eight, in season one.
    I read there will be a season two.

905 likes this.
  21. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I was so excited to watch this but couldn't get through the first episode. I found it completely unrealistic and couldn't get past it. I'm a late-comer to "Better Call Saul" and am only a season into that, but maybe when I finish with it I'll revisit Tulsa King.

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

Better Call Saul is in a different league.

RSteven, mmars982 and agaraffa like this.
  23. 905

905 Senior Member

I just watched the first two episodes, love it so far.

RSteven likes this.
  24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Annabella Sciorra is almost unrecognizable to me now. Not long ago I was watching a TV show she was in (I forget what it was). I kept waiting to see her, and by the time it was over I could only guess what character she played.

I'm gonna start watching Tulsa King.

Myke likes this.
  25. Chazro

Tulsa King was good but I didn't like the final episode. If Sly isn't coming back, and this is the end of the series, I'll be disappointed. It felt like there was more story to be told so I'm hoping for a season 2!

Mooglander likes this.