Turntable advice 2000$

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dahuky, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

They do seem like a nice table, and the design seems well thought out and executed. I like that there isn't actually a subplatter, it is part of the platter casting, and the springs are adjusted from above. Be fun to try one, though in the US they are kind of priced out of the market, unfortunately ...

[​IMG]

2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

On sale :)
    Thorens TD 1500 Sub-Chassis Turntable with 2M Bronze CartridgeBlack High Gloss

Davey likes this.
  3. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

I would do a Rega or EAT, which ever model is closest to your price range.

4. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Good luck finding one. They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

5. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Says in stock on the 1210GR at B&H, which was the first store I checked. Apparently they don't carry the 1200GR. So maybe not everywhere, but you're right that supply must be low in the US now, may not be that way in Europe, or wherever the OP sources it from :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    TwiceFan likes this.
  6. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

I checked Music Direct and Crutchfield where both the 1200 and 1210GR are on backorder. As is the 1500c once again. SL-1200 Mk7s seem to still be around. But since the OP has a $2000 budget, he may not want to go in that direction. The 1200G seems to still be pretty widely available but at $4300, he may not want to go that way either.

7. Dahuky

Dahuky Forum Resident Thread Starter

how can one make his mind, considering he can't hear the models in advance?

for now considering:
    michell gyro se
    rega 6\8
    technics gr
    thorens 1500

8. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

@Dahuky

my suggestion is buy one of those, use it a while then you will see by yourself ;).

After that you will ask for cartridge or whatever, so go on.

That may be the only way to know.
    Take one that is easy to buy in your country, then enjoy.

You are young, if not OK you can change later or buy another one or two :tiphat:.

Dubmart likes this.
  9. Dahuky

i wana buy something for life. without having to mess with it too much occasionally, and without the crave to replace it. (which is why i leaned towards the techincs)
    i do realy enjoy music, but i wana build a decent system and thats it. i don't wana spend the hundreds of grands audiophiles end up spending in their entire life. i prefer to buy a house instead. :D
    but even if i wasn't i still don't wana buy something that i didn't hear first and be disappointed from the first moment, like happend to me with the harbeth p3's, falcon q7 and leben 300. i had enough.

10. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

I admire your romantic thinking.
    May it last.
    Audio component "for life" becoming such a rarity.
    :wave: This will be my last post in your thread.

Enjoy life.

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I've had a 7.1 for years...a good sounding quiet table. But it in no way comes close to the feel, build quality or ease of use of the Technics grand class.
    Those carbon arms are very resonating and tend to blur in complicated passages. Something I didn't notice until I compared it to my Technics.

theflattire likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

You shouldn’t judge a turntable and/or cartridge by online videos. There are far too many variables involved: cartridge alignment, tracking force, impedance and capacitance loading… Those videos have no real practical value.

One thing I can tell you for certain is no belt-drive turntable below $2K is going to have the speed stability of the GR. So if you listen to music with sustained piano notes and the like, the choice is easy. Otherwise, if your ears are pitch and timing sensitive, you’re going to hear the warbling/flutter of sustained notes and decay. I had a $4K belt-drive turntable with an outboard motor power supply. It allowed for speed adjustment of something like 0.1%. I was able to dial in its speed to where it measured practically perfect according to a KAB Speedstrobe. Despite that, it still had inferior speed stability to the GR I own now.

The GR is my last turntable after owning the aforementioned Acoustic Signature table, a VPI Classic 1, Pioneer PLX 1000, and heavily upgraded Thorens TD-166 that had a $800 tonearm. Those and a number of vintage direct-drive tables as well. Also, the GR’s bass dynamics and definition are superior to any of those other tables.

Like the Regas, there are affordable mods available for the GR that improve its performance even further, and some owners have even installed aftermarket tonearms.

After swapping out the platter mat (the original probably responsible for that reviewer’s bass assessment) and adding the KAB tonearm damper to my GR, I feel that it’s mostly limited by the quality of the cartridge.

FWIW, I’d pit a slightly modded GR against any sub $2K new turntable on the market. I’m not going to claim it’s the best overall value out there, because obviously I haven’t heard them all, but it certainly is close to the top.

I once considered a Rega P6 because I love their look, but a cursory web search revealed far too many QC issues with Regas in general. Didn’t require a deep web dive to find dozens of such anecdotes. I know with my luck I would’ve received one of the lemons.

Anyhow, the GR also earns you membership into the Technics fanboy club — earns you the privilege of interjecting in every turntable thread to dismiss every other brand.

bru87tr, aroney, ubiknik and 5 others like this.
  13. Dahuky

The secret to happy listening life, assuming you are a music - not equipment - lover, is to avoid surfing these kind of forums :laugh:

14. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

Interesting. I also have a Denon DP-61F and both the Music Hall 5.3 and the 9.3 sound better, and oddly I'd say exactly the same thing you did, except I'd say the Music Hall is better in those regards than my Denon. Also compared my older 5.3 to a VPI Prime- at the time we both had a Ortofon Bronze cart and we also both had a Lehmann Black Cube preamp so we could actually A/B them, and while the VPI and Music Hall were very close, we both seemed to prefer the Music Hall. I've never heard a newer Technics so maybe there's some magic in them.

15. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Perhaps you don’t have to make up your mind, considering that most of those are pretty great turntables (only one I can’t vouch for is the Thorens, with which I am unfamiliar). Perhaps budget and condition/age of the ‘table should decide (IIRC you’re going used, yes?).

Best of luck down there in Israel, those street protests seem pretty energetic (and warranted)… hopefully things don’t get too out of hand.

16. Slick Willie

I am surprised that it was preferred over the Prime, but it is a good sounding table.
    Just that there are better options, IMO, in the market at this time.

mattsob1 likes this.
  17. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

You have me wishing I had listened to a Technics before I bought my 9.3. Not that I'm dissatisfied with my 9.3, but you definitely have me curious.

18. Dahuky

Bunch of losers that protest each time they lose the elections.
    They do so on a row since 2012, each and every time on another topic..

I checked the entire country, not even one shop which demoes TTs.
    Sad.
    That's something worth protesting about! :laugh::goodie:

19. Prighello

Prighello Forum Resident

This was hilarious! I am/was kind of having a bad day and this comment made me laugh out loud. Thank you for bringing some humor to the table today. I mean this with sincerity. :)

utahusker and Helom like this.
  20. Slick Willie

IIRC, the 9.3 has an upgraded arm as opposed to the 7.1 that I own.
    It was on my short list, but decided I didn't want another table made from painted or vinyl wrapped MDF material.
    But, I bet it sounds great!

21. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

:laughup:

22. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

So… it’s a bit like AT cart ownership. :laugh:

23. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

You mean the "Ortofon Haters Club"

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  24. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

I'm curious which platter mat you found to be an improvement over the original?

25. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Off the beaten path option is a Well Tempered Simplex version 2 at 2k dollars.
    It will work with a wide variety of carts as well due to the unique nature of the arm.
    But the Technics is well regarded also.