Turntable Advice for around $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Twinsfan007, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I know there is a thread about this using the price range of $2000, my budget is alittle bit more and I thought I would just start a new thread. It's right around $2500, say 2500-2700. I'm looking at either new or used. Preferably used as I can get more bang for my buck. I originally had a vpi prime that I was getting for about that price but the guy decided to string me along for a couple of days and then say that he already sold it. Whatever. Anyway, know that I'm back to square one I would like to help of the hoffman forum in deciding what I should do next! I have looked into some Avid and JA Michell TT that I can get used on either USAM or Audiogon but I don't know much about them and how they would compare to say a vpi prime. I would preferably like to get a vpi prime but I'm open to other ideas. Let me know what you guys suggest!!!

2. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Just get a $500 more expensive cart and then add it to the last thread on what $2k TT he should buy. :)

3. Twinsfan007

Hahah it's funny that you say that! I actually am getting a Dyna 20x2L retipped from SS right now so it's close! :laugh:

displayname and Bananas&blow like this.
  4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’m happy with my Technics and VPI but if I could do a third table in that price range I’d go SOTA Sapphire or Vinyl Nirvana Thorens.

5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Also your last VPI wasn’t pleasing but your Rega seemed to be - why not one of those?

6. Twinsfan007

I want something else. The Rega was fine but I really didn't like how I had to use shims to raise the arm.

displayname likes this.
  7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah I really appreciate both those features on my two decks.

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A used Michell Gyro SE would be v nice if you can get one. Or a new, close out Rega RP 8 for $2k.

9. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

I would look for a TT that has also possibility of adjustment of the SRA on the fly while playing the record if that is doable.
    That you get adjustment possibilities for your bucks.
    I believe that affect the sound quality more than the difference between a $2000 or $2500 TT.
    And if you can more precisely daily in a better adjustment for your chart and get it to perform at it best sound quality wise. Then that TT will sound the best. And you will be able to utilize your expensive records and chart optimal.

Or if that is not in the budget then maybe buying a tone arm that has that feature and mount it on a existing TT if it is possible.
    Example (there is others):
    Stogi S 12 VTA

10. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

+1. A used Michell Gyro or Gyrodec would be a killer system addition.

Beautiful too. :)

GyroSE and TheVinylAddict like this.
  11. Twinsfan007

Yeah there was a used gyro SE up in Flag last week on CL for about $2k but I didn't know much about it and how it all worked :/ I honestly haven't really heard much about JA Michell TT's so I'm all ears. I believe I'm gonna go check out Arizona HiFi tomorrow and see what they have available.

GyroSE likes this.
  12. Twinsfan007

This was part of the reason why I really like the VPI Prime, or should I saw VPI's VTA on the Fly adjustment. I don't know of other tables that do this but I take it they must be out there?

13. Dhreview16

Long established UK brand. Great rep. You will either love the design or not. Much better with the Michell PSU. Needs a cart like an Ortofon Black.

displayname likes this.
  14. Twinsfan007

Would a Dyna 20x2L work well? I saw a Michell FS a week or so ago on USAM I believe in my price range that had the PSU but sadly it's gone now

15. Twinsfan007

16. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

So you do not that is a option with only get a tone arm that fit a TT? Then you only put the most money in the more essential part. And get the disired SRA adjustment.

Instead of doing this Mary go round all the time. And still want to swap to get it later..

17. Dhreview16

Depending on your amp you will also need to factor in a phono stage.

18. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

New Vertere Dynamic Groove , Funk Firm LSD ,

19. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Look at Acoustic Signature, totally German made. The Wow or Wow XL is probably within your reach.

macster likes this.
  20. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I'm almost of the opinion that anything in that price range is going to be good, so pick something you like the looks and feel of. If you really like the VPI Prime just hold out until you find one. Can't go wrong with anything from VPI.

Dennis0675 and Stanton56 like this.
  21. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I would get a Technics SL-1200GR for $1,700 and buy a cartridge of $800. If you like the Technics approach, I'm not sure you would find anything much better than the GR for $2,500.

displayname, MikeK and JackG like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Sounds like with the Rega, VPI interest you are set on a belt drive? If so, VPI Prime is a pretty good choice IMHO!!! If I had $2K for a belt drive, that's what I'd be looking for!

Rickchick likes this.
  24. Kende

Kende Well-Known Member

Hello
    Check this site. Not to many reviews, new company but they have 60 days money back guarantee.
    Our Turntables | Precisely Crafted for High Performance and Pure Fidelity
    This I have in plan to purchase.
    Regards
    Kende

25. Twinsfan007

So I just got back from going to a few places around the valley. The 1st place I went to didn't have much in my price range (more over than under) but they did have a Thorens 124 mkii that they just got it. They tried to sell me on it but I just don't know much about it and was worried of getting a TT that's aroud 50-60 years old. They also had a JA Michell but it was out of my price range ( around $4500 but said they could order in a technodec that would be around my price point. I thought the gyro se was around $2700 dollars? I guess they are asking more than that for the deck.

The next place that I went to only did appointments for some reason so they didn't really want my money I guess. I don't understand how some of these places are able to operate like that. You are a big dealer, and the only dealer of some items in the whole state. What happens if I have an issue with my item, I have to make an appointment to come in and get help? I just don't see the point in all of that.

So I am back to square 1. Preferably trying to find something in the area but not opposed to getting something shipped to me. I want a deck that I know the manufacturer will be around for awhile, which is why I would lean to say a VPI or Rega, for example. What about an Avid TT? Are they worth the price?? I have always been interested in them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.