Turntable advice needed, please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mcow1, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort Thread Starter

Well, the tax refund is here I'm thinking of a new turntable. I think I have it down to either a VPI Scout, a Rega P25 or possibly a Linn (used). I'll probably be putting a Shure V15 on whatever it is. Any thoughts, suggestions or anything tha would help would be deeply appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Oops, forgot price range I'm hoping to stay below 1,500

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A VPI Scout with the appopriate arm is going to go well over your budget (arm is optional), from what I can see. A Rega P3 with the RB300 already on is going to be around $600-$700. The Rega P25 is going to be around $1100-$1280 with the RB600 arm.

That being said, do you have the preamp to take you there too? If so, and you really want to go the investment, I would go with the P25. If not, believe me, the P3 with the RB300 will do NICELY and give you plenty of bread for a cart and pre.

Myself and many members here are big advocates of the Rega series. The Lauremann support on the hardware can't be beat.

Many people go for a P3, sell the turntable, keep the arm, and go to bigger tables. I LOVE :love: my RB300.

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

What a coincidence, I'm planning on using some of my tax refund the same way.

I have the same price limit as you do. I'm still in the stages of trying to narrow down the choices ... here's what I'm looking at:

VPI Scout w/ JMW-9 arm
    Basis 1400 w/ RB250 (or RB300)
    Clearaudio Champion (w/ some Rega arm?)
    Nottingham Horizon

I'm looking to replace my Rega Planar 3 (and I am not interested in staying with Regas). So ... I guess I'm seconding mcow1's request for thoughts, info, whatever.

4. Sckott

Oh, also, have you guys looked at the Teres line?
    www.teresaudio.com

[​IMG]

Gorgeous stuff. They do well with Rega arms, which is what they're made for...

5. mcow1

I'm pretty sure the Scout comes with a JMW-9 arm.
    The only phono stage I have (that's the next purchase) is the one built into the receiver. It goes down to 3Mv so MM is the way to go right now.

6. JPartyka

You can get either the 'table or arm separately for around $850, I think, though no one on earth seems to have them in stock separately.

I've seen deals on the combo in the $1500-$1600 range, so I think it's a contender.

7. mcow1

Exactly what I've seen. Although if I can find a local store carrying it I can usually get them down some more.

8. JPartyka

You know, the thing that's frustrating about turntable shopping is that you're almost forced to rely on hearsay and reviews. There doesn't seem to be any way I could listen to all four of the turntables I mentioned in my own home. (There's a dealer just minutes from my office who carries the Basis and VPI lines, but I see little or no value in in-store auditions. I'd need to hear these things in my room, with my system and my cart and my records, before I'd get any value out of it.)

I briefly considered the Music Hall MMF-7, and thought of actually getting one from Audio Advisor since they have a 30-day return policy ... but I ended up rejecting the MMF-7 because I'm not convinced it'd be a significant step up from the Rega Planar 3.

Turntable shopping is hard. :rolleyes:

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I love my Gemini XL-200 and we at NorthernLightFX.com is aboe to get one for you along with other DJ turntables.

10. Sckott

Almost forgot; www.audioreview.com

They list the VPI and Regas, as well as others. Good user-made reviews.

11. mcow1

Looking at audioreview.com I see a few complaints that the Regas run a little fast. Anyone have thoughts on a Linn Sondek vs either of these? It's looking more and more like the Scout is the best at this range.

12. Sckott

Earlier model Regas had motor upgrades available. I'm not sure about the fastness on older models, but mine I've clocked, and it's perfect.

So, I'm not absolutely sure, but the fastness and some vibration was totally taken care of years ago and since.

13. JPartyka

My Planar 3 definitely does, noticeably -- even with the 2000 motor upgrade (which is installed). The only way I could get around it was by wrapping a few layers of tape around the subplatter. But then my 45rpm speed was off.

And the P3 2000 Michael Fremer wrote about in the Feb. Stereophile ran fast for him too.

Doesn't exactly scream "high end" to me, and despite the table's other charms I find this to be a turnoff.

14. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Well, I have...

I have a Linn LP12/Valhalla/Ittok VII set up, and a Rega Planar 25. I love both. The Linn is a much more finicky table, you have to tune the springs about 1-2 times a year. It is also very prone to poor placement, ie to heavy of a stand.
    The Rega is a set it and forget it table. Both will let you enjoy the music.
    If you want to upgrade as cash allows, the Linn is a better place to start. The Rega, you can add a new counter weight (dropped type) and a acrylic platter, but that is about it. Well, you could add a voltage synthesizer.
    The Linn is a better detailed table, and does the extremes better. The Rega, is a very enjoyable table still!

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have been looking through my Music Direct catalog. Because of serious money considerations, I have been eyeing that Music Hall 2 TT. Any comments, as it is the cheapest audiophile model on the market that I know of, and MH tables come highly recommended here.

16. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Mike, if it was my decision, I would go with the P3 and upgrade to a better phono stage, perhaps find a new or used EAR 834P(tube). I currently have a P3 with the "Heavyweight" and Cardis cable. They both make a noticable improvement in performance. I have also owned the 834P with the P3 but I traded it in for an EAR864 which has the same phono section as the 834.

If you don't want to upgrade the phono section in your receiver, I would then choose the P25. You get slightly better isolation, a better arm bearing and better cable, however if you had the RB300 arm you could upgrade to a better cable down the road too. :)

17. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Mike,

I'm very pleased with my P25 w/ aurios & clearaudio aurum beta s. :thumbsup:

-Jeffrey

18. mcow1

Does anyone run a Scout with a Shure V15vxMR? I asked VPI about the combo and they think the cart may pick up motor hum.

19. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've never picked up hum with my Shure V15V in any of my turntables...including a crappy direct-drive Realistic.

20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Had my V15V in a DD JVC for a few months and it didn't pick up motor noise. I wouldn't expect it to pick up noise unless there is something strange with the Scout (which I doubt).

21. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I'm glad somebody mentioned the speed thing: I have been looking at "purist" TT's seriously for months now & what I want to know is:

How do you fine-tune the speed???

My old (1983) $180 table had a built-in strobe & pitch control for this. Even back then their better tables had that "quartz-locked" speed governor that needed no user adjustment at all (same as today's Technics SL-1200 series for $500). Even nowadays Technics & other company's budget TT's have a pitch adjustment.

When my turntable still worked (your's truly broke the tonearm--long story) the speed varied slightly day by day, I guess because of the A/C wall voltage variances.

How do those hi-end TT's cope with this?

Lastly: does anybody know of a website where I can check out new Dual TT's? I used Google for almost 30 minutes & can't find anything but parts sites & classsics sites. And that "dual-turntables.com" site is ??????

Thanks.

[T]

22. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I don't buy any turntable unless it has adjustable pitch. I've only owned two of those in my lifetime--one was a cheap BSR changer, but the other was an "audiophile" model that I later found out ran a little bit fast, and there was no way to adjust it. I also need it to correct the musical pitch on a couple of LPs that are incorrect.

23. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Here's one review:
    http://www.soundstage.com/vinyl/vinyl061998.htm

It sounds like a rave review, considering what a fussy guy the reviewer is .:laugh:

$250.00 for one here:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/decibelchicago/mushalmmf21t.html

24. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Thanks Rudy.

But, no one else has speed controls on their turntables?

[T]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.