Turntable Advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave B, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm considering upgrading to a better turntable in the near future and am leaning towards the Music Hall MMF7. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this unit or recommendation on another TT? I want to stay under $1000.00 including arm and cartridge.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You can't go wrong with the turntables, cartridges and styli aimed at the hip-hop/scratch DJ market as they do sound very good. I have a Gemini turntable and Stanton cartridge. You only need to spend about $100 for a decent turntable system.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Rega Planar 3 with the Elys cart. You'll spend about $980 for the set and possibly have one of the best TT you've ever heard.

The Elys is made for the RB300 arm (Arm is usually included with the Planar 3), which is a highly regarded arm that often is mounted on many other turntables. The cool thing about the Elys is, you can mount it dead easy without centering tools. It has a 3-point mounting that you can't mess up.

Plus, purple is a good cartridge color. ;)

The Bias is less money and is also great on the Rega. Many great things you'll say about your vinyl when you get some Rega under your belt.

From Hi Fi Choice: "The RB300 tonearm as usual takes very good care of the mid and high frequencies, bringing its pleasing coherence to bear on the voice band, and reflecting the wide dynamic range through this region. The whole thing hangs together pretty well musically and is commendably free from 'nasties', which adds up to a relaxing and involving total experience." (Regarding the RB300 on a VPI)

Also, look around at http://www.rega.co.uk
    There are many different Rega Retailers, and also look at the Audio Asylum for many good words about the Regas, and like-products.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That's the max you'll have to spend within your budget. I stated the minimum.

5. Sckott

That is absolutely correct. I was a DJ both as on-air and clubs and I've used Technics, Gemini's and Stantons, even the newer Ortofons for DJ use. All are very good performers. That being said, I don't think I'll ever use Pro equipment on my vinyl seriously again. You can go inexspensive, but trust me... Second to messing with tubes, it was the best investment soundwize I've ever made as a "NEW" purchase. Check Audioasylum on the Rega Planar 3. ;)

6. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I went with a Rega Planar 3 as well ... got one used (from a very trusted source) for under $500.

I couldn't be happier with it. Mate it with a good cartridge (you get what you pay for there, for the most part), and I think you'll be a happy camper.

7. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I opted for the VPI Jr with the RB-300 arm, with arm it lists for $1100.00, w/o cart.,however you can get the combo for a bit under $1000 if you shop around. The thing I like about the VPI is that you can upgrade to a MK IV for the cost difference of the tables. The RB-300 also has several upgrades possible.

8. Sckott

That is a nice choice. I always liked the way the VPI's build. Sleek, very stylish, but still simple. They're great performers.

Another choice, if I ever landed on a winning lottery number, would be the Teres. Actually, it's not that expensive, but a true project Teres is a bit of work and perfection....

[​IMG]

It's just gorgeous. Drool. Droool. Droool. :p Doncha love the cherry-wood look under the platter with the integrated strobe wheel etched into it? Great stuff.

9. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Sckott, by the way,how much?

10. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

Sckott, That's beautiful! Maybe someday.....

11. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I would second the VPI jr. recommendation. You might be able to find a used Mk III for under $1,000 as well. Personally, I got a MKIII with the IV platter as well as the SAMA and PLC in new condition for about $1250. I was very fortunate on this deal and was given a Audioquest tonearm and grado cartridge and haven't looked back yet....

12. Sckott

That puppy is about $1300 but I don't think it covers the cost of their newer clamp, which is also top notch. I'll be a Rega man for a long time, but I seriously would concider that table. You can save some cash if you wish to make the plynth yourself which is not outside of the boundaries of success. You realize, on the Teres web site, people have used plynths ranging from machiene steel or aluminum large-scrap to wood and foam. The basic berring and motor would still make it a Terres.

Also, another sick mutha, Jeremy Epstein has designed a Teres using inventions, materials and DIY ideas that are not only cheap, but effective. It's here. I call him sick, because I admire his hearty and dedicated (albeit agressive) approach. Using a aquarium pump to suspend a homeade linear arm isn't something I'd coup up from a passing idea, and he's gone and done it.

Still, because I'm not as daring, the RB300 arm would do great.

Teres n Co. also sells the kits that you can polish the acrylic bases and/or platters yourself. One of those Black And Decker "Mouse" units would be superb for this kind of work. They're truely a work of art, and high on the hog for perfection-by-owner.

I also highly recommend a Roto-Zip saw. They're found on the web, Sears and on info-mercials. Talk about putting together some DIY speakers real quick, this tool will take you 3/4 there in minutes. I got to use one last weekend. Arf, Arf!

13. ibelafn

ibelafn New Member

Music Hall MMF-7

Dave b -

I'm new to this forum but have been looking at this turntable as well. FYI, found a(n) MMF-7 (brand new) for less than $850 at hcmaudio.com - of course you would have to add shipping. Don't have any experience with these folks however. Good Luck, John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.