Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Turntable choice...?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shoes4Industry, Mar 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, so I want to upgrade my aging Thorens table with a new one, preferrably one that I will be happy with for a while and that will be a definate improvement over the Thorens (166). I'm between the MMF 5 and the Rega P3. I know the P3 is the better table (certainly the arm), but is it worth the extra $$$ on my system (Sony ES amps, Polk speakers-- although I will upgrade them as well in the future...)?

I'm awfully tempted by the MMF 5, but I don't want to feel like I'll be needing to upgrade it in a few years and I also don't have any way to compare them, other than reading reviews or just buying one.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My philosophy has always been 'buy the best you can afford'. You may like either TT at this point. But in the future after you upgrade, the new equipment may reveal limitations in your TT and you may feel the need to upgrade again!

Don't know about you but I've ALWAYS lost $ when trading stuff in. :rolleyes:

So if the P3 is the better TT, go for it. It'll have a longer lifespan in your system.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I would also consider going the "used" route. That may give you some more options with your budget. If you get a used P3 then you can use the rest of your budget for a good cart. Try to avoid used carts (it's too risky). Check out audiogon.com.

Todd

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

If you are a pro audio fan or DJ, Steve Hoffman's site does have a link to my employer's retail site (Northern Light FX) on the front page and we do sell cartridges as well.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I second Gary's recommendation. Seems like I'm always trading in/upgrading something for something better. If only I had bought the better piece to begin w/.

Livin' & learnin',
    Jeffrey

6. Shoes4Industry

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to spring for the Rega. Any suggestions on good cartridges that work well on this table? How are the Rega carts? Is there a good-cheap cartridge alignment tool out there?

OK, enough questions! :)

7. Brian D.

Brian D. New Member

A good turntable is the first most critical part of your system. A used turntable that can be upgraded as your budget permits. Belt drives are preaty simple to work with. You could do the mods yourself and save $. My lynn has gone thru many mods, with the cost spread out over the years. Resell your old turntable on ebay. E-bay is a great marketplace for turntables, just check the sellers feedback.

8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I have a Rega Planar 3 and love it. I also considered the MMF-5, but the Rega's superior tonearm tipped the scales for me. The RB300 is a fantastic arm that lots of folks use on other tables.

I use and recommend the Hi-Fi News & Record Review Test Record for a number of reasons, including the fact that it comes with a two-point cartridge-alignment protractor that gives me good results with my Dynavector 10x4 Mk II cartridge (a great mate for the Rega at around $350 or less, depending on where you shop). The Rega table also comes with its own one-point alignment protractor, but I prefer to use a two-point one.

If you go with a Rega cart (I've never used one, and therefore can't comment on 'em), there are two advantages: (1) cart alignment is a lot easier thanks to their 3-screw mounting, and (2) VTA is truly "set-and-forget." The Rega carts are designed to be the proper height for Rega arms (makes sense, don't it?).

Good luck!

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good, cheap cart., sounds OK. Further upgrade's to come, right?

BUT have you considered spending even m-o-r-e money and buying a moving coil cart instead of a moving magnet cart?? With a step up transformer or phono pre - whichever you need?

Just an idea - for your consideration.

I think there was a free cart. alignment tool offer somewhere on this forum - a while ago. It was a simple piece-of-paper type thing.

Have fun!

10. Shoes4Industry

Interesting. I'll have to check into the Hi-Fi News test record. I'd like to eventually get a moving coil cart, but I have to upgrade my phono stage first, so in the meantime, I'm going to go with a not-too-expensive MM (I'm seriously going to look into the Dynavector since I've heard so many good things about them). Another thing I like about the Rega--it works with my Ringmat...

11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Another good mate w/ a Rega is the Aurum Beta S. I have a P25 w/ Aurum Beta S and it sounds good for the $.

Another view,
    Jeffrey

12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Steve Rochlin of Enjoy the music is the benefactor of the "free" protractor.

Enjoy the Music

13. mazort

mazort New Member

No, really

I would really save up for the Rega P25 or pick up a used Linn LP-12 on ebay like I did for $700.

The P25 may seem like a lot more than the P3 right now but if I were you I would give the P25 a good listen. The musical difference is significant and that's where I think you'll get the biggest bang for your buck in your system. The Rega Super Elys cartridge is an outstanding value also. Remember you can shop used. If you want it bad enough you can find a way.

That's my philosophy, anyway...

14. Andy

Andy New Member

I guess I'll plug a VPI HW-19 Jr. It's has a clear upgrade path and with the Aries Scout model just out by VPI I'd bet there will a few of the Jr's traded in. Finding one used shouldn't be a problem.

15. Shoes4Industry

One problem I have is that there isn't a dealer in my area that actually has a setup where I could compare the P3 and P25 (Twin Cities, MN). However, I may hold off for a few weeks while I check the used market and wouldn't rule out used VPI or Linn (for the seemingly never-ending series of upgrades!).

Thanks again for all the responses.

16. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Forum Resident

OK Sckott and Gary,

I have taken your recommendation, and placed my order for a Rega P3 with an Elys cart. I picked up a used Adcom GFP-565. Man, I sold all of my vinyl and TTs some 8-10 years ago, but heck, I'm willing to take the plunge once again. The wife thinks I've lost it, but what else is new! :) You only go around once in the world, right? I have Steve's Madman and his Paul Simon Rhymin Simon on the way. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all of your suggestions in this (and the other TT threads)!

Best Regards,
    Kevin

17. Shoes4Industry

Kevin,

I'd be interested in hearing how things go for you with then P3+Elys cart combo as it's one I'm thinking of doing. If you don't mind, could you tell me how much you ended up paying?

A friend of mine, whose opinion on analog I trust, suggested going used and mentioned an older LP12 (he owns a Lingo'd one) or the VPI HW-19JR. I also might try to score a pre-2000 Planar 3 and buy the motor upgrade kit if the price is right. Definitelty a tough choice when you can't audition these things!

Thanks again for the responses.

18. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Forum Resident

I decided to get mine at Music Direct (amusicdirect.com), as I have been very happy in the past with things purchased from them. The quoted price for the P3 (black) is $674.95 and the Elys cart: $195.00. Unfortunately, the demand is greatly outpacing the supply, so both are on back-order at this time... :( I'll let you know how it goes... I can't believe I'm going back to licorice pizzas... Actually, truth be told, I'm more than just a wee bit excited too!!! :cool:

19. Shoes4Industry

Cool. I'll look out for your note on it when you get the P3. I've also been pretty happy with Music Direct--it's also a fun place to visit (and see all the vinyl they stock) in Chicago. If I can't get a local dealer to come close to MD, I'll probably order it from them.

- -John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.