Turntable Fluttering distortion

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by via_atx, Nov 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey, all. I'm having an issue with my Project Turntable this is very similar to the issue in this post:

Fluttering sound from my om40 stylus

I hear sort of a fluttering distortion/tremelo sound in both channels, and it's especially noticeable on quieter songs with acoustic guitar or softer instrumentation. I've noticed it on multiple records.

Stylus is Ortofon 2m Blue. I've also noticed it on an older 2m Blue and a Red. The Red has very few hours on it.

Azimuth/alignment/tracking weight all good. I've experimented with tracking force between 1.5 and 2, and still noticed it. Some records are better than others, but I've heard it on brand new vinyl and older records alike.

Turntable is mounted on a wall shelf to reduce vibrations.

Turntable has been in storage for a couple of years. I replaced the belt and cleaned the motor pulley and platter pulley. I've had this setup for a while with no issues, but again, just breaking it back out and listening to records again.

Tried another receiver and same issue, so I've definitely isolated it to the turntable itself.

Any ideas?

2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I am a complete clueless idiot but I noticed the sound started to go way off today.I panicked more than my furnace breaking or a car accident,trouble with my turntable causes the most anxiety.Luckily the ground wire had come loose needed tightening and that is all it was.
    I am extremely careful with my gear but I was afraid something worse had gone wrong and I only know simple trial and error troubleshooting wich worries me when something bad really does happen.I am the only one trying to le@rn as I go more into this hobby?

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Interesting problem. Can you post samples?

via_atx likes this.
  4. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Didn't you post this exact same problem less than a week ago? Do you expect different answers this time around? Probably not the stylus or cartridge. You're going to have to track the problem down one aspect at a time. If replacing the belt didn't help, it could very well be the motor or pulley.

jesterthejedi likes this.
  5. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Have a project debut carbon evo with a 2m blue on it in storage as backup deck, took it out about a month ago just to check all was ok, got a shock as bad rumble on vinyl playback, the solution in my case was take off stylus put it back on and was perfect it had obviously worked itself a bit loose even though it liked fine, a bit obvious but if you haven't tried it give it a go.

via_atx likes this.
  6. via_atx

I have tried this, but good suggestion. I replaced the stylus with a new one, and the issue was on both. However, the issue appears intermittent. I put on a record last night that I had noticed this issue on the previous night and it played fine this time.

7. via_atx

I’ll see if I can capture an example.

Leonthepro likes this.
  8. Technocentral

Odd, good luck.

via_atx likes this.
  9. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Had the same identical trouble with my Pro-Ject RPM 9.
    Concluded it was a pile of overpriced poorly built belt-drive junk and threw it in the trash.
    Bought a Technics SL1210M5G.
    No more problems.

I still like belt-drive designs when the engineering works exceptionally well---but this experience has made me very leery of all the hype surrounding modern junk.
    I no longer listen to a word the "experts" have to say.

A turntable and arm has to do its basic job of being noiseless---perfect speed---and with enough build quality to let the cartridge shine at its best.
    If it does that it is good.
    If it doesn't do that it is junk.
    End of rant.

Oelewapper and via_atx like this.
  10. Technocentral

My TD160 from 74/75 has never had its motor or platter or original arm replaced and it has zero audible rumble, on a good pressing I can't hear any background noise, I'm sure a lot of people will chime in here with their positive experiences of belt drives.

via_atx likes this.
  11. Doctor Fine

Never said belt drive was bad.
    Problem is just about ANYBODY can make a belt table.
    A motor, a rubber band and a platter and you too can sell it for ten thousand bucks!

A well designed belt table is dead quiet, no bearing noise or motor hum or EMI radiation from power supplies. DEAD QUIET.
    Plus a great table makes your cartridge sound like a million bucks.
    Wonderful.
    A good arm that has great bearing sensitivity and no vibration resonance.
    Everything solid and adjustable.
    GREAT!

Unfortunately I seem to have to weed the good ones out from the bad ones however.
    That is just MY experience.
    For instance how come nobody mentions electrical emissions from unshielded motors?
    Vibration coming up through the turntable body?

Crummy poorly made "rattling" arms that make your cartridge sound broken.
    Stuff like THAT?

I have had to do all my own research to find out who makes turntables and arms worth getting excited about.
    There doesn't seem to be a very high standard out there among the "experts" as to which tables do what.

If you are not in agreement with my experiences that is fine.
    I have been able to get my own setups to sing like a bird.
    So I have gotten past all the confusion and found what works well.
    That is all I am saying.

Oelewapper and via_atx like this.
  12. Technocentral

Au contraire, Im glad your enjoying your DD deck, just saying a lot of people have v positive experiences with their belt drive decks too.

Andy Saunders and via_atx like this.
  13. Doctor Fine

I know I know.
    Say one word about belt drive tables and at this point everybody gets defensive.
    I don't get it.
    It really doesn't matter which drive motor type you run as long as the engineering is top notch...

There ARE many terrific belt tables out there from VPI SME and many other SERIOUS brands.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of junky "pretend" tables out there too...

via_atx likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Turntable is at fault. Note, my 1975 Technics SL-1500, my 1973 Technics SL-1300, my 1967 Dual 1019, nor my 1978 Realistic LAB 300 don't do this.

Old Rusty, lazydawg58 and via_atx like this.
  15. via_atx

It definitely seems like it’s the turntable itself. I’m wondering if the fact that the turntable wasn’t used for two years caused some issues with the motor? Maybe it needs lubricating or some time getting used before it is consistent?

Lenny99 likes this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Bass feedback? If that’s it , it’s why vintage recievers had sub filter buttons. One of the reasons I got the IFi Zen ( besides positive reviews ) is because it has a “ smart sub filter button”.

via_atx likes this.
  17. try to figure out how to sample it and use it in a recording. Just the good parts, of course.

via_atx likes this.
  18. via_atx

This issue seems to have resolved itself. Maybe the motor just needed some hours on it since it was in storage for 2 years?

19. via_atx

And now this is back... so maddening. It worked perfectly last night and this evening the issue returned.

20. Leonthepro

What have you tried so far?

21. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Just sell it for parts and get something that’s not the chopping board design.
    Like a PLX-1000 or a Fluance RT84.

via_atx and Leonthepro like this.
  22. Leonthepro

+1 for PLX-1000

via_atx likes this.
  23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Check the side of the motor pulley for a set screw. Confirm it is tight. Pull the subplatter up and out of the bearing well. Confirm there is no physical damage. Rub a drop of gear oil around the spindle of the subplatter. Drop it back in. Install the belt and platter. Turn on the power and let it run for a few hours.

via_atx, patient_ot and ubiknik like this.
  24. via_atx

Will give this a shot, thanks.

25. via_atx

*new belt
    *new stylus (other one was 5 years old)
    *checked alignment
    *checked azimuth
    *re-set tone arm weight
    *checked that table was level
    *checked/cleaned all connections