Turntable Hook Up Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ray7027, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray7027

Ray7027 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have 2 turntables one for stereo and one for mono. I only have one phono input.
    Is it possible to hook up both using Y connectors, or would that cause problems with
    the catridge not being used at the time. I'm getting tired of changing cables all the
    time.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

3. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Why would you have a problem using a Y chord going INTO your stereo?
    But a batch bay would solve the problem. You could make one real easy or just use one from a high end stereo outlet. You could probably get away with one from Radio Shack>They don't sell them that much anymore, since most of the "Switchers" (I think that's what they call them) are used for video inputs now. But I don't think you'd lose that much sound with them. They don't make noise, and all you have to do is flipped a toggle switch when you switched turntables. Failing that...get pre amp with two or more inputs. Or just another amp as a pre amp. I don't think you'd lose that much quality, if any. But I'm sure there are techs here who'd know.

4. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Definitely do not use a "Y" adapter: I feel that the load of both cartridges on the preamp would change the sound of it.

Fortunately both my preamps have two phono inputs. :thumbsup:

6. Ray7027

Ray7027 Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Rek-o-Kut.

7. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Thats great! Garage a records has great service and prices. I have purchased all of my cartridges from them. They are speedy, they are very nice people, and their prices are very low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.