Turntable suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ryaneagon, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Among current production turntables below a few thousand dollars, there’s just no suitable competition for what Technics is currently making, IMO.

But I think I’d rather have the OP’s Dual than my Technics GR, if the Dual could be serviced.

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

IMO there are plenty of production turntables below a few thousand $ that are as good or better than Technics

kundryishot and brucej4 like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

At the equivalent price points? Not from what I’ve ever seen.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  4. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

there's rega and project and clearaudio options, that are all pretty good in the under $3k range, and more esoteric stuff if you want to look a bit outside what all the major (audio) retailers carry. I'm not saying the current technics stuff is bad, but everything has pros and cons

5. SpiderJohn

SpiderJohn Pronouns? I don't need no stinking pronouns

You're absolutely correct that once you get into this type budget, the market really opens up. VPI, SOTA, Thorens, used Linn LP12, EAT, upper level Rega & Pro-ject, etc.

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be in this budget.

The members' suggestions so far are thoughtful & probably appreciated by the OP.
    (the only suggestion so far I have not had good personal luck with was the Pioneer...for the price, there really are better options)

While "Big Blue"s points on the Technics 1200 are good regarding build quality, (they really are great machines), I don't think they have a lock on exceptional vinyl reproduction...even in this price range. (I realize he did say "IMO").

(Oh...and that Denon deck suggested earlier with a good tonearm would make a really nice rig, as well)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Big Blue likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What I’m saying is I don’t think they are competitive at the same price points in that range, just from a performance specs and build quality perspective. Technics is offering more for the money at each of their models’ prices up through the GR. I think that’s what most of us who recommend Technics turntables to people are saying, not necessarily that there aren’t other good turntables.

I’d definitely have the Dual fixed as opposed to anything available in the OP’s stated price range, though, which is lower than anything Technics offers, anyway. I’m not even sure it was necessary for Technics to be a suggestion in this thread.

timind and JackG like this.
  7. Hello, I own a Dual 721. One of the finest piece of engineering on the market. Ho and behold! The motor equipment is either a Pabst or an EDS motor. The Goldmund Reference Direct Drive turntable was equipped with either and sold for $24,000 US, go figure! The same motor equipped the Dual 721. Any other questions? Easy as pie! repairs are worth keeping this baby alive. I have it dressed with an Audio technica Shibata stylus, a delight to the ears, smoother that the original V15 the TT came equipped with.

HiFi Guy, warp2600, timind and 2 others like this.
  8. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

performance specs - maybe some, but w/f is not the only turntable spec

build quality - better than some worse than others

9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s the most important one, though— important enough to be disqualifying if not up to standards.

I’ve not seen better build quality compared to the Technics models at each price level up to the GR, certainly not from Rega or Pro-Ject (and Clearaudio doesn’t even bother with <$2k).

Vinyl Archaeologist and JackG like this.
  10. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

I think you've overdosed on to many Stroopwafels as you've missed the point of the post.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

But can one really eat too many stroopwafels?

GordonM, JFCB, SpiderJohn and 3 others like this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stroopwafel
    [​IMG]
    A plate of stroopwafels
    Alternative names Syrup waffle, treacle waffle, caramel waffle[1]
    Type Waffle
    Place of origin Holland
    Region or state Gouda, South Holland
    Created by Gerard Kamphuisen[1]
    Main ingredients Batter: flour, butter, brown sugar, yeast, milk, eggs
    Filling: syrup, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon
    A stroopwafel (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈstroːpˌʋaːfəl] ([​IMG]listen); literally 'syrup waffle') is a thin, round waffle cookie made from two layers of sweet baked dough held together by caramel filling.[2][3] First made in the city of Gouda, South Holland, Netherlands, stroopwafels are a well-known Dutch treat popular throughout the Netherlands and the former Dutch Empire,[citation needed] and exported abroad.

MMMMM . . . . Stroopwafel

SpiderJohn, avanti1960 and Oelewapper like this.
  13. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Hah! You've missed the point of my post! :biglaugh:
    Let me explain it to you:
    The thread is about turntables, these are analogue devices, so suggesting digital instead is pointless and off thread.
    Since we derailed the thread already: stroopwafels are more of a thing in Holland.
    In these parts of the Netherlands, "Kniepertjes" are a way more common type of waffle (very similar to Krumkake).

ubiknik likes this.
  14. jeffrey75

jeffrey75 Forum Resident

721 has a brushless motor and a true 4-point gimbal tonearm similar to 5k plus tonearm sold by Kuzma, perhaps the OP should be looking at updating plinth also.

15. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

Personally, I'd do the 721 as it seems like a great table.
    With your budget, I think anything should be ok as you're still in the shallow end of the pool and can learn how to swim.

ubiknik likes this.
  16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My vote for the AT LP 120

L.P. likes this.
  17. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking at a couple of different cartridges for my Dual 721, it has a Grado Green. Ant recommendations? I was recommended the AT VM540ML, and the Ortofon om20

18. SpiderJohn

SpiderJohn Pronouns? I don't need no stinking pronouns

I have the Ortofon mounted on my Pro-ject right now.
    The OM20 is good. Just not sure it's a major step up from the OM-10 that came pre-mounted.
    (I think you have to get to the OM-30 for a marked difference)

Been looking at the AT VM540ML, as it's about the most cartridge you can put on my deck.

What's the total mass of your tonearm?
    You can figure compliance for your tonearm/cartridge combo on Vinyl Engine to see if that combo will work.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  19. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

Grab one of them SAE1000E from ebay before they're gone! Can't go wrong for a hunski!

20. ryaneagon

I just picked one up. Hoping it will pair okay with the 721 and iFi Zen Preamp.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    theflattire likes this.
  21. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Mediocre even among other entry-level ‘tables. :oops:

22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Aren't all entry-level TT mediocre? Which one do you deem better for the money? Fluance?!

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Try to use heavier brass hardware when bolting it up, I think compliance for that cartridge is right at medium, it might sound a little dull if in too light of a setup.

24. ryaneagon

Thank you for the information. Cheers! Where would you recommend purchasing brass mounting hardware? Just any ol' 'home improvement store?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I got this kit a few years ago:
    High-End Phono Screws Set M2.5 Brass for Cartridge / Headshell / Turntable NEW | eBay
    On that arm I would use the heaviest set you can.

There are other types, I forget what can be used on a Dual headshell (I used to have a 701) but here's another example:
    GOLD PLATED BRASS THUMB Screws 8mm Cartridge Headshell Mounting Set Ortofon 2M | eBay

ranch 22b and ryaneagon like this.