Turntable suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundtrack Guy, Jun 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundtrack Guy

Soundtrack Guy Active Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    I need a turntable for putting my old vinyl that never made it to CD or any digital media onto my computer. My only requests are:

1) Must have a way to monitor the music as recording (headphones through my laptop I suppose)
    2) Any software suggestions either that come with it or a web version for download
    3) Cant be terribly expensive. Say around $200 or so.

Thanks in advance mates

2. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

The Audio Technica LP120usb has a usb-port and built-in preamp (which a lot of people don't like). You just hook it to your notebook and record with Audacity. Very easy.

I bought that turntable for the same reason, digitizing my old vinyl.

It's a good turntable and will definitely do no harm to your records, but it has it's drawbacks. Apart from the internal preamp there'll be motornoise because the platter is light aluminum. Is not a big deal, a silent murmur in between songs, audible only with headphones. I don't care, but you might.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. You could try the Behringer U-Phono (very plastic but actually sounds better than it should) which would leave you around $165 to purchase a turntable of your choice. I'd get a 2nd hand belt drive. The Behringer works with the brilliant and free Audacity software for most PCs, Macs or Linux boxes.

4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Use your existing turntable and cartridge. Purchase a Jil analog-to-digital audio converter from Schiit Audio in California. $199. Here’s the link:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

It works quite well.

Bill Why Man and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  5. Soundtrack Guy

Soundtrack Guy Active Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it! The project has a chance now. I may keep my Sony after seeing your ideas. Saves me a bit of scratch....oops...wrong choice of words lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.