Turntables and dust covers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sharedon, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone Thread Starter

I've been meaning to ask folks here about this for ages, but... I was once told that you should not play records on a turntable with the TT dust cover (if it has one) down, i.e., covering the table. The reason: that a kind of slight vacuum effect is created that will affect tracking. Any thoughts on this?

2. I was using a Thorens TD-165. While playing a record with the dust cover down, I noticed that the top of the dust cover was, well, rather dusty. I wiped it off with a suitably dirty T-shirt, and the dust cover picked up an electrostatic charge that lifted the tone arm right off the record! Of course, it came crashing back down. No serious harm was done, but I learned my lesson.

3. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

wow
    cool

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I've noticed that ground hum is amplified! :wave:

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Take it off!

That dust cover should be nowhere even near your TT when you are playing records.

There's a huge downside to both up and down positions.

For real: Take it off!

You'll thank me.

:agree:

Peace-
    Norm

6. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Norm is correct, take it off altogether if possible. If you can't remove it, at least place it in the upright position because an electrostatic charge can drastically alter the tracking weight of the cartridge particularly in drier climates, as sporkadelic has already illustrated.

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

When I used to have cats a dust cover was a must! It kept the cats from jumping on the records! :eek:

8. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Aside from the 'dusting the dustcover' problem mentioned earlier (which is usually covered in the owner's manual), what huge downsides are there?

9. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Microphonics. With the dustcover on - up or down - the excess vibration it picks up from the air can put a cloudy haze over the sound even if your turntable is built like a tank.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm guessing it upsets the eqilibrium of the phlogiston field too?

Running for cover now :)

latheofheaven and Robert C like this.
  11. teaser5

Down dustcovers rattle. That rattle is an inch or two from your cart!
    Up position causes a tunnel effect that is very audible. Easiest A/B test I have ever done; the difference is so audible. Pulling off that dustcover is a free, simple and very positive tweak. Give it a listen and hit us back
    Peace-
    Norm

12. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I used to play records with the dustcover on to reduce acoustic feedback. Then I experimented with the cover off (totally off, not in a lifted position on hinges). It was a revelation; the sound was much clearer and the bass was tighter and more solid. Just try it and listen. Oh yeah, and there was no acoustic feedback problem with the cover off.

LitHum05 likes this.
  13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I do not have a dust cover. I leave an old paper sleeve on the platter when I am not using the TT to keep dust off of it and I have never had a problem

14. teaser5

What Hal said!
    :agree:
    Huge difference
    Peace-
    Norm

15. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Always off. All the way off. For reasons listed above...especially the phlogiston field :)

16. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

I take mine off too. In the past, i noticed you could feel vibrations from the music when you placed your hand on top of one, when no such effect could be felt on the plinth.

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

one of my cats used to love to sit on top of the dust cover while a picture disc was spinning (no need to put the tonearm down on the record, of course). she'd sit for ages watching the thing spin round and round, hypnotizing her. I wish I had one of those old Vertigo labels. I bet she would have loved that.

18. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I keep mine in the up position when playing ....and down when not in use...I was thinking of taking it off....but dont notice too much humm with it up. The VPI I had needed to have the cover off completely. My TT is on a wall mounted stand up at eye level away from the bass maybe that helps.

sean

19. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

A dustcover will not cause hum. But if it is in the raised position, depending on the turntable, it can cause feedback, which at the very least will cause the sound to get muddy, or at the worst, will cause a howl or loud tone. I take mine completely off now as well.

20. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Certainly a closed dust cover does not add hum, but the effect added is not unlike a bandshell increasing volume of any anomalies. :)

21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

What's a dust cover?

22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

93, Glad your not out at a club tonight. Your story reminds me of the old Monty Python skit call "Confuse a Cat".

We had four cats over the years past, none of them found the TT at all interesting, but one of them liked to watch football on TV. :)

latheofheaven likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...a hard plastic shield (cover) that protects the TT...most lower end TT have 'em attached (removable of course).:)

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...dustcover stays on the TT in the garage for obvious reasons, off when spinnin'..:)

25. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I was being facetious! ;) Actually, my dust cover is in storage somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.