Turntables around $500 with automatic return?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MyNameIsNotSteve, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyNameIsNotSteve

MyNameIsNotSteve Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Looking to spend around $500 on a good turntable with automatic return.

I’m not really picky as to new or used, as long as it’s reliable and around $500 max (a little over is OK).

I don’t need a phono preamp, as my Sony STR-D1011 has one built-in.

I prefer black to match my amplifier, but I’m not dead-set on that if it’s a good one.

Ideas?

2. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I really like my JVC QL-Y44. Bought it for $380 and added a Ortofon Blue.

The FRiNgE, nosliw and Fender Relic like this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Used will be your best bet as most new auto turntables are more in the basic beginner category but Denon and, I think Audio Technica as well as Marantz have new tables in the price range. I vastly prefer an auto return table too. However, while I own a vintage Technics that's upstairs, my recently acquired 1210GR is downstairs and is, as you may know, completely manual.

MyNameIsNotSteve likes this.
  4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

harby likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Question is why. Is it because you're afraid of leaving your stylus on a record so it'll wear out prematurely?

If so, you can use any turntable you want and get a Q-Up which will prop your tonearm up at the end of a record. It won't bring the tonearm back to its resting position or turn off the motor, though.

The FRiNgE and MyNameIsNotSteve like this.
  6. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Technics Sl-D3, Technics Sl- Q2.

7. MyNameIsNotSteve

MyNameIsNotSteve Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Mostly for convenience’ sake, although you’ve given me another reason here. :) Thanks for the Q-Up suggestion; I will look into that.

8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have one of these,PL-540, and big brother PL-560. Got both of mine for around $200.

[​IMG]

MyNameIsNotSteve and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Here's another option, I just got this mint Pioneer PL50L for $520. The L is for lift, so not fully automatic. Just added a Hana EH cart and this one really sings through my Sansui AU-9900 in my basement setup.

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Makes for a nice trunk stereo too!

MyNameIsNotSteve and Liquid77 like this.
  11. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Any of the popular direct drive models will serve you well, older model Pioneer PL series, JVC, Denon, Luxman,
    Stay away from AT LP120, Numark, Stanton, all USB turntables,
    The most popular would be the Technics SL-1200, SL-1310, SL-1710, etc., but consider other lower cost and great sounding models from the SL series which can be found from about $150.00 clean, used, SL-D1, SL-D2, SL-D202, and others. All of the suggested do everything well, speed accuracy, low rumble, and good isolation, and have auto-return.

nosliw and MyNameIsNotSteve like this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Yea, that Pioneer series are some nice tables. If someone has the choice, I think the slightly later LII version with the smaller coreless motor is the one to snag, but they were very popular so quite a few around. Did it come with both arms?

13. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

No, just the one shown.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Don't rule out clean Technics SL-QL1 which is DD, full auto, and can be had, it seems, for in the $150-300 range. The old A-T AT450 with the nude elliptical stylus is a great cart for it. I had mine for about 34 years and use it most days. While I bought mine new way back when, they are very high quality tables ($475 list price in the 80's). This link is not to mine but it's a good image of what they look like.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LraMXTBEDb0/maxresdefault.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.