Turntables mats

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rontokyo, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Having a blonde day:D, sorry. Actually woke up thinking it was Friday.

After reading the Herbie page I now see this. Duh.
    Thanks.

The Herbie mat is resonable too. Might have to try both.

2. herbelin

herbelin New Member

Hi everybody. Sorry to hear Ron's tt is on the blink. Fortunately, other beta testers with various types of turntables provided lots of feedback. As a result, we made improvements over the already excellent prototype model Ron has. To achieve a more natural presentation, we redesigned the mat slightly to dampen less and let the record breathe a little more.

Although the mat works almost equally well with many types of turntables, we expect slightly different results with different systems. We will post reviews/comments about Herbie's Way Excellent Turntable Mat at Herbie's website soon ( http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/ )

In the meantime, why not give it a spin?

Warm regards,

3. Ben

Ben New Member

Re: Donut Mat

Hey, everyone...

I have tried the AQ mat (way too sticky, I had the feeling the vinyl was being "glued" as I pried the records off), the Ring Mat (flimsy and sterile sounding), and of course the standard felt job that came with the Rega.

They all failed. That is, they didn't add to the equation and, in some cases, helped to subtract.

The very best mat I have found is made by a gentleman named Casey Ng who runs a company called Extreme Phono. The "donut mat" Strabo refers to is a version of his "Non-Felt" mat, it also comes in a full size (the one I have) for Regas and such.

I wasn't expecting that much. Boy was I surprised. Much tighter bass and crystal clear highs and mids. It was really noticeable to me..anyway, check it out at the link Strabo posted.

(Disclaimer: I don't know Casey personally, nor do I have an interest in his company, other than seeing a good product that should be rewarded with successful sales)

JMHO!

Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.