TV advice : LG vs Sony

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Sep 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,
    My HDTV just died and i am looking for a new TV, i am pretty much settled on OLED and my room would not need higher than 48".

I am left with only 2 options basically : Sony 48a9 and LG 48cx.
    I guess there is no wrong choice here !

What i need are 3 HDMI inputs, digital out to pass the sound to my amplifier.
    I will mount it on wall, the Sony has the advantage of having inputs the vertical way, would make it better for wallmounting.

However the LG supports more new standards and has a faster interface, Sony has Android TV.

I am not a gamer so I guess I do not care about HDMI 2.1.

I have a Canal+ subscription, the Canal app is not supported on LG os but I have a TV Box and a shield connected that both support it.

Picture quality should be quite similar, LG builds the panel and I guess they both have similar treatments.
    I don't care about TV sound quality.

My current TV is a Sony that I bought in 2007, so it pretty much survived 13 years which is very good, so I have trust in Sony.

Does anyone here have experience with both brands and would be able to give me some tips or help me decide ?

2. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

I have had good luck with Sony.
    Not so much with LG

Tartifless likes this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I’ve always purchased Sony. No issues.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My son has a beautiful LG with a red cursor on the screen and lots of Apps. I love it!

jesterthejedi and Tartifless like this.
  5. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

I've had a lg oled for years now with no regrets

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think highly of Sony but have had better luck with LG TVs. I wouldn't worry too much about making the wrong choice, however, as the differences likely come down to which remote fits in your hand better.

jesterthejedi, russk, WvL and 2 others like this.
  7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I had LG products and they were generally well made. LG's OLED s seem pretty good. Having said that when it comes to TVs I am heavily biased towards Sony that always provided me with very reliable products but you can always get a lemon.

So, price, type of remote, length of warranty and ease of connections should be things to look at.

If you want to look seriously at the warranty terms see if you can find out how many dead cells, the screen needs to have before you receive a new TV or screen, I think screens with dead pixels are very rare but if you are unlucky enough I am sure you won't like it unless they give you a new TV.

Tartifless likes this.
  8. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

LG Display supplies the OLED panels to Panasonic, Philips, and Sony as well as using the panels in their own TVs but Sony manufactures one of the best image processors. I'd buy the Sony if I was in the market for a new TV.

jea48, TarnishedEars and Tartifless like this.
  9. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

Sony, no question. I've bought four TVs in my life, three were Sony and one was a mistake. Just got a new X950H wall mounted last week. Can't believe LCD can look so good. I'm gonna wait till OLED has full HDMI 2.1 support and variable refresh rates before buying (I tend to keep a TV 5-10+ years), but if all you care about is picture quality no reason to wait, OLED is worth every penny. PS - My last TV was also a Sony from 2007, KDL40V2500, still working as good as new.

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

My friend got an LG OLED, I forget the model. Looks very nice-does it look AWESOME? Maybe. Maybe at night in a dark room. But frankly there is no way I would go away from a Roku TV now, it is just SO handy. And in my lots-lots-LOTS of windows living room, I think any OLED advantage gets washed out ha ha. (Also no way would I trade my 65" down to his 50" and get your minds out of the phallic gutter, talking screen size)

Dred and bajaed like this.
  11. james

james Summon The Queen

I still manage with my 50 incher

(I have a Panasonic plasma from well over 10 years ago. Still kicking, never a problem. Heavy as all hell)

FrankieP, Spy Car and Dave like this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think you’ll be happy either way. I have an LG OLED, and it’s great, no complaints. I read a lot of comparisons when I was shopping, and while Sony was usually said to have better image processing, in reality I do not find the LG lacking in any way. YMMV, of course, as it’s possible I’m not as picky as I think I am...

13. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I've had Sony devices that have lasted decades and an LG TV that had issues after two years... go with the Sony.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I will say, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on OLED because my room is awash in natural light during the daytime, having a full wall of south-facing windows. That hesitation was unwarranted; even with sunlight beaming in, the OLED does not suffer as much as the LED it replaced, and the OLED level is very adjustable to compensate, when necessary; much better than the brightness control on the LED.

Tartifless likes this.
  15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

As an owner of an LG TV approaching two years of age, I’m very curious, what sort of issues did yours have?

16. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Seeing video games is not applicable to you Sony for best picture quality although the LG has improved to try and get closer to the Sony and may be a few hundred cheaper unless you get a good sale price or don’t mind paying a little extra for the Sony. If you don’t like the operating system get a Roku, Apple TV or Amazon Fire box. Wait for a sale for either TV if you can.

Tartifless likes this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I like both brands. For what it’s worth, UK magazine What Hi Fi reckons the LG cx48 the best TV it has tested under 50”.

18. Orbe

Orbe Forum Resident

As I said on another thread yesterday I had a line on my LG 55 oled after 18 months, 6 months out of warranty so LG would not do anything. But if you want a oled LG make all the screens anyway.

19. Tartifless

Don't care i use a logitech harmony !

20. Tartifless

Same as mine except I have the 32": I can't imagine a more reliable TV !

21. Tartifless

They are both exactly the same price, if they had different prices the choice would be easy !

22. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Sony

I have a 60 inch Sony here in Hong Kong - no issues - It is about 4-5 years old - before than a Sony 12 years old back in Canada - still works fine but 40 inch. So I bought a 55 inch LG for my mom.

I have a lot of movies on my laptop so I connected it up to the LG - no go - can't read it the laptop - so I went and bought a new PS to use the LG as the screen - nope can't read PC - return PC - buy a new Laptop - connect that. It will read but only if you disconnect the HDMI after every single use - returned laptop - Best Buy was sure happy to see me.

My advice is this - if you plan to connect any sort of computer to the LG - bring your computer and your HDMI cable and connect it to the LG to see if actually works - LG is known for their handshake issues and their techs will tell you you need a new computer blah blah blah - Both Sonys work instantly with no issues and no need to download some driver (that didn't work on the LG). I saved a couple hundred bucks on the LG - meh that'll learn me.

I would also check the new Sony TV's on this too. The LG is fine with the bluray player, the DVD player and the PS3 - the computer gave it fits. It's a nice screen - picture quality to me is good but then if you are not comparing these things directly pretty much all the main TV brands should be quite good.

I will say one thing - take with whatever grain of salt - The audio dealer I go to in Hong Kong as been repair gear for 22 years - televisions as well. They do installs for major players and theaters etc.

I told him I bought a Sony (I think mine is W850 or something) he said "good" they're the most reliable TVs on the market. The screens for almost all the TVs are the same - made in China but it is the "module" which I take to mean the computer module that runs the TV is the best built out of all the brands like LG or Samsung Philips etc. Again it's one repair guy telling me this - have no clue if it is true but if you can find a corroborating story or two it might tip the scales in favor of the Sony.

23. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Sony. Where are they the same price at?

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Stuffs so cheap now...why fret over it?

Not the 20th century anymore.

25. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I’ve been with Sony from back in the trinitron days. Never had an issue. And while LG does manufacture the panels that Sony uses, Sony’s processors are what set them apart from the competition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.