TV advice : LG vs Sony

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Sep 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've had my LG OLED set for over four years. I've never noticed head. I've had it on this evening for about three hours now and neither the screen nor back of the set feels warm.

Big Blue likes this.
  2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Yes, lots of experience with Sony. Their main business now is insurance. The electronics end of Sony has not done well for several years and their repair station in Laredo Texas is worse than horrible, just take a moment and review complaints on Sony's Laredo Texas repair facility, it's extremely bad, and that is where your television will go for repairs.

At one time Sony was the very best, nothing could touch Sony. I had several Sony CRT televisions and moved to their other display televisions. Those days are over. The number 1 set now is the LG OLED, #1, without question. I absolutely would stick with the LG OLED, it's a wonderful product! ***** :righton:

bluemooze, Cassius and ti-triodes like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I haven’t noticed mine getting particularly warm, either.

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I was concerned about this, because we watch a lot of news and sports. After nearly two years, I see no signs of burn-in. I think the mitigating features they have implemented may, in fact, be effective.

5. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am pretty much sold on the new 48 inch sony oled, will have to wait black friday to see if it gets discounted...

I went to see some tvs and 55' is just too big, my couch is at 2.4m (7.8 feet) and it would be far too close.

6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

7. Tartifless

I have already seen this guy's videos, makes no sense for me.

55' is really too big (even if less expensive).

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

According to this website, 55" would be a better fit for that viewing distance. I haven't measured my distance, but I think my situation is similar to yours and I am happily using a 55" LG OLED TV.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Had a Sony Wega from 2002-2012 never a problem with it. Didn’t have time the space for it when I got my Panny Plasma ( 7 years old now).. shop had to take away the 70 kilo Sony Wega TV.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  10. Tartifless

No 55', too wide, i have looked at all the websites and they are all aligned with manufacturers recommended distances which tend to sell you the biggest most expensive screen.

I have 2 websites with realistic charts, I do not trust any chart that tells you you need to be closer to a 4k than a 1080, that's just silliness

11. alexpop

I’m about 9/10 ft away and my 55”looking kinda smallish now. Looked huge compared to my 32” Sony. Guess got used to the 55” now .. toying with getting a 75” primary just for watching blu rays ( not interesting in stream / download / gaming ).

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't know that it's about "needing" to be closer but rather that you can be closer the higher the resolution is. The idea is that if you are closer to the screen, your viewing becomes more immersive and you see more detail. If you sit farther back from a smaller screen, you not only are aware of the screen but also whatever surrounds the screen. You also won't likely see all of the detail you could if you were closer or had a larger screen.

But I'd say there is no right or wrong answer in absolute terms. It's all about what works for you, so if you'd rather have a smaller screen it's all good.

Tartifless likes this.
  13. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Seating is about 8 feet from my 55" LG, and the size seems just right. (And the picture quality is fantastic.)

14. Tartifless

I currently have 32' and same 7.8 feet viewing distance, should they produce 43' 4k i would get one.

15. alexpop

Find looking at a smaller tv 43” .. 32” I strain my eyes. 55” is like my old 32” viewing distance/ comfortable factor. Fine and dandy .. but to small now. Definitely get a larger screen .. 65“ is doable, but if i got a 65“ tv .. I’d be forever telling myself .. you should have got a 75“ TV. Dilemmas and frustration. :)

16. John76

John76 Forum Resident

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

And "WHOMP, THERE IT IS" ...

Other than my own respect for forum member @Vidiot and his knowledgeable advice that he kindly shared with me, regarding my own buying of a 55" LG OLED C9, the following two photos below show the necessary feature that I love about the LG versus the Sony. Can you guess what that necessary feature is (and I will give you a hint, it's NOT the Picture or it's quality?). And please, anybody is free to guess ....

Picture [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. John76

John76 Forum Resident

You like the Magic Remote and OS of the LG?

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think the only thing that's really frustrated me about my LG OLED is pairing with my Sennheiser Momentum 2 bluetooth headphones. Sometimes I turn on both and they connect within seconds; other times I spend 5 minutes forcing the TV to try to connect to the headphones repeatedly before it succeeds, which sometimes even requires me to turn off both and turn them on again. I have never had another bluetooth source that has such a hard time connecting with headphones with which it is already paired.

20. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

21. Tartifless

Feet ?

Chris C likes this.
  22. Chris C

Yes, exactly, it's the footing!!! Makes a complete difference for "most" peoples set-ups and especially mine, plus those SONY feet stand out like a sore thumb and they make their sets look outdated and cheap, to be honest.

23. Chris C

I actually do not care for or use, other than when I change my inputs from Cable to my OPPO 205, the LG Magic Remote!

24. alexpop

Next TV will be on a stand. Feet look so cheap.. tendency to slip. Only two manufacturers in 2020( least Europe ) that appeal to me are Panasonic and Sony.

Tartifless likes this.
  25. Tartifless

I'd go for pana in a heartbeat should they have oled smaller than 55"

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.