TV advice : LG vs Sony

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Sep 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

Second is an app ? Or maybe the OS itself ?

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

All subjective but I don’t find a 55” so large now . If it’s just normal tv viewing sports / talk shows etc guess a 45” would do.

3. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I have a 65" LG OLED. Zero issues, doesn't get hot and the image is outstanding. As far as size goes, "damn, my new TV is too big"! Said no one ever.

Efus likes this.
  4. Tartifless

I tried to cut a cardboard the size of a 55" and it is far too big for me and my wife.
    Even 48" is almost too large

bever70 likes this.
  5. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I've had both brands and both were/are 65" sets. I got the LG in January of 2017 and we really liked it. After surviving Hurricane Michael in 2018, in June of 2019 our house got struck by lightning frying the LG OLED along with other items (which I've mentioned elsewhere.) I saw the Sony at Best Buy when we went to get the replacement and thought it looked marginally better than the LG, so we bought it. Picture quality is excellent, and I can say that on some UHD Blu-ray discs where the LG produced the "soap opera effect," I've never seen it on the Sony. Films look, well, film-like as I believe they should. Nearly a year and a half later, the PQ is still superb and I really love the set.

6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

While that is a good idea you my be looking at it aesthetically. When the picture is on you may have a different opinion. You probably need to ask yourself how much of an immersive experience do you want from your tv or not. At the bottom of the first page I posted another video that is pretty good at explaining size requirements still a personal choice and what fits given any confines to the room. There is also a link to a THX calculator that will recommend the proper size given your distance. If you care.

7. Tartifless

bever70 and John76 like this.
  8. alexpop

75” ( and over ).
    Do folks find the picture quality good !

9. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Panasonic

10. Russian_Autumn_Heart

Russian_Autumn_Heart Forum Resident

In late March, at the beginning of the pandemic and shelter-in-place, I bought a Sony Bravia 55" 4K television (X950G ), a Sony 4K UHD Blu-ray player (X700), along with a Sony sound bar (HTX9000F).

This setup is a dream come true for my modest-sized living room.

I don't have cable television and I don't pick up any channels by choice. My only reason for owning a television at all is to watch my Blu-ray collection, standard Blu-rays and 4K UHD Blu-rays alike. I watch about four or five movies a week, sometimes more, and that's all of my television time.

John76 likes this.
  11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

IMG_20200901_121100.jpg
    Lightning bricked my Panasonic Plasma years ago. :shake: Thing is, I usually had it plugged in to a surge protector, but I had done some cable rearranging, and temporarily plugged it straight into an outlet, but then completely forgot to re-plug it into the surge protector.

I won't have that problem with the OLED in my Living Room; I had one installed in the wall.
    :idea: - good idea for a thread!

alexpop and Tartifless like this.
  12. alexpop

Don’t think available in the U.S., but y e s!!!

13. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Mine was on a surge protector/power conditioner, however, the lightning struck near the AT&T box at the side of the house and went in through that killing all their equipment and going in to every cable box in the house through the coax, save one. Every piece of equipment that was connected via HDMI cables got fried. We're now using CAT6 for cable/computers and we have a surge protector on the outside of the house for the AT&T stuff, plus one for the power lines which cover the entire house. The one box that didn't get fried was the one hooked up to my Panasonic Plasma TV upstairs.

stereoptic likes this.
  14. alexpop

Lighting ? Future unplug .. methinks !!!!

stereoptic likes this.
  15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yikes! I am looking into a whole house surge protection, I'll have to research protecting the coax as well.

16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I've owned Sony's exclusively since Trinitron days with great success. Picture quality was always stellar, the units I always found to be reliable over long term. LG's may be fine but I never had a reason to look elsewhere.

17. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Normally we do unplug. However, that time the lightning struck about 1:30 a.m., waking us all up, but we didn't think anything serious had happened at the time. When I got up around 7 a.m. that morning, I discovered that a circuit breaker was tripped for the kitchen and that the downstairs A/C wasn't working. The EMP from the strike also killed the air handler motor for the A/C unit, fried the garage door opener (the garage is detached from the house!), the EMP was strong enough to arc a tiny hole in the pressure relief pipe on the hot water heater causing a leak, and blew out 11 recessed LED lights. The electrician told me that the lightning had to have struck the ground right next to the house where the AT&T box is located. Oddly enough, all of the gear that was lost survived Hurricane Michael, as I mentioned in another thread, only to be destroyed by lightning during that thunderstorm...

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

75” good source is terrific. Cable TV can be smudgy. Under 720p basically sucks.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

What you bog standard dvd ?

20. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I got a LG CX 55 and it's fantastic. I use it with my PC's new graphics card (RTX 3090) and I run it at 4k 120 Hz and it's so smooth!

21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Some better than others. Grain magnified.

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Watched bog standard Dr. No dvd (on my new plasma 2013) ..and it looked incredible. On a 8K TV ... who knows.

23. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Panasonic OLED, I went from a 42" plasma to 55" OLED and could not be happier, you get used to the size very quickly.

Also make sure you calibrate what ever TV you get it makes a huge difference. I used Calman...

24. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Panasonic plasma here. Absolutely love a plasma picture, IMHO it just looks more natural, less edgy. Kinda like solid state vs tube.

Aardvark23 and tootull like this.
  25. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm not sure if the Sony's are still made in Japan or not. But if they are assembled in Japan, then these probably don't use the Chinese electrolytic capacitors which tend to fail after only a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.