TV advice : LG vs Sony

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Sep 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Panasonic plasma after other monitors looks magical.

2. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

My Sony OLED was made in Mexico. Best set I've ever seen or owned.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Time to move up to blu-ray...

4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Enjoy it while you can seeing they don’t make them anymore.

noladaoh likes this.
  5. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Yep. Just holding on as long as I can.

dislocatedday likes this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok guys, thanks for all your inputs.
    My final contenders are:
    - Sony KD49XH9505 - 1290€
    - Sony KD48a9 OLED - 1790€
    - LG 48CX OLED - 1590€
    - Sony KD49XH8505 (edge led with local dimming) - 849€
    - Panasonic 49HX940 (edge led) - 849€

The LG 48CX is known to have some issues with dolby vision engaged related to black levels + rear facing inputs which are problematic when attached to a wall.
    Sony OLED seems to be the best of the lot for me : however is it worth 500€ more than the 9505 LCD or 900€ more than the edge led LCDs ?
    The issue with edge led or direct led is that i watch lots of movies with subtitles : so the blooming is an issue for me, my current LCD TV is CCFL backlight, it has no blooming, i don't know if edge leds have blooming.

I'd really like to just snap the Sony OLED (it was 1590€ for the black friday), and also i missed the 9505 that was 799€ (for that price the blooming problem would be acceptable !).

Regarding the panasonic : i don't find any information regarding its picture quality and blooming ==> does anyone have this TV and can tell me ?

7. Stereosound

Sony A9 OLED.

8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I am big Plasma fan as well and have a last generation Panasonic TX-P65VT50 Plasma.

No motion lag, great off axis viewing, very natural colors. I was very sad when all Mfg killed off the Plasma but I guess they just weren't cost-competitive any longer and stigma of screen burn, which is exaggerated IMHO, and turned people off hurting sales.

I am really like reading threads like this as it keeps me up on what people think are the best of the new TV's should I ever have to replace the Plasma

Interesting to read about Sony being the most reliable as every Sony product I ever had ended up having issues and their customer service was terrible so I have been antiSony as a result.

This thread has made me rethink considering Sony for my next TV if I decide to upgrade to 4K or 8K high def as the technology and content continue to mature.

Shawn likes this.
  9. Tartifless

My TV is from 2009, I just found the invoice, I paid 650€ back then so I would say it is now fully amortised!

It is still performing great : no dead pixel, no blooming, no problem whatsoever... I really think this set can indeed survive me !

The only thing is that I upgraded everything in my audio and in my video setup and the last remaining old tech is my TV, which prevents me from enjoying my 4K content.

This would have been so much easier should my TV have started being disfunctional !

Reading the reviews of current LCD panels, i see a lot of comments regarding blooming and even videos where you can see a halo around subtitles with new direct LED TVs.
    Is it really possible that 600$ 2009 panels with CCFL backlight perform better than 2020 panels with direct LED (that costs 1300$) ?
    Are these videos exaggerated ? (like reviewers switching backlight to the maximum ?).

My KDL-32V5500 can go up to 10 in backlight settings, i have it at 5. I guess the brightness of current displays are far superior, so surely if I configure an equivalent backlight setting i would not see this blooming, right ?

People talk about OLED being less bright than LCD and not adapted with bright rooms, however when reading specs i am under the impression that the brightness of an OLED panel is far superior than my 2009 panel brightness.
    I just don't understand if i am comparing the right figures, would lile some hints here !

10. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I'd pick whichever Sony you can stomach the price of and works for your purposes.

11. Stereosound

Most of the reviewers are talking about nits as far as brightness is concerned for reproduction of highlights in high dynamic range content watching. Think of something like the gleaming of the sun off of a chrome strip of an old classic car from the 1950’s or 1960’s that makes your eyes wince type of bright. Some titles are mastered at 4,000 nits others at 10,000 nits maximum. However most affordable consumer displays today can only reach 1,000 or so maybe 2,000 before they start clipping anything brighter(they will either automatically dim the picture to try and preserve the detail in the picture or they will go as bright as they can and wash out the detail in the process). Future technology is coming that they say will increase the maximum nit levels found in consumer TVs. QNED and Micro LED TV’s being two of them. Yes both LCD and OLED TVs of today can be brighter than a plasma or even LCD TVS from long ago but it varies currently. LCD TV do still struggle with blooming some worse than others though as well.

12. Tartifless

Ok guys, I finally on the Sony KDL-a9 OLED.
    Blooming was a major issue for led back-lit TVs as I watch shows & movies with subtitles 90% of the time.

I'll keep you posted and send you some pictures.

Will pick it up from the store today.

fogalu, Stereosound and Spitfire like this.
  13. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

I have a Samsung 64" F8500 plasma which is still going strong. I had it professionally calibrated after I bought in 2013 and it still displays a wonderful and accurate image. No motion blur issues - it handles live action action sports like hockey and football perfectly. Damn shame about plasma tech, it was reaching its pinnacle right when the manufacturer's pulled the plug on it. I will probably jump down the OLED rabbit hole once my plasma gives up the ghost. Hopefully the kinks with OLED will have been worked out by then - motion blur with live sports being the big one.

classicrocker likes this.
  14. Tartifless

OK, the Sony is now in its box in the leaving room, will get to work tomorrow to wall mount it, the wife has a 2h hairdresser appointment, should be sufficient.

I took a bump on the road, I hope it's fine!

The guy at the order-receipt desk was wondering whether they made a mistake with my order, he thought 48" OLEDs did not exist.

fogalu likes this.
  15. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Cardboard screens are crap anyway. And burn in could start a fire. ;)

Seriously, enjoy your new Sony Oled. I got mine just one month ago and the picture is amazing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    audiomixer and konut like this.
  16. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I have had an LG OLED for about 5 years. 3 days ago it died. I am not happy spending that much on a product with such a short life.

So with a fairly urgent need to get a replacement (only TV in the house and Boxing Day test match starts in a few days) I have had a crash course in current models. Given I ruled OLED out because of price I was looking at LCD options. It came down to a choice between an LG nano90 and a Sony 950H. My room is quite dark but I need a wide viewing angle. No gaming.

The new Sony arrives tomorrow. Going from OLED to LCD may be an issue, but the OLED was not 4K. The 2were the same price and the LG had a narrower viewing angle and more bleed.

17. Tartifless

[​IMG]
    Up and running, now on my to-do :
    - See how to make Dolby Vision work with my Shield TV
    - Setup my remotes

Tim Lookingbill and Spitfire like this.
  18. Stereosound

Good description of overall pros and cons between brands:

19. violarules

violarules Senior Member

We just bought a Sony OLED A8H 55" last night. The 65" would have been too big for our stand and definitely too big for the distance we sit from the TV, not mention the price differential (50% more than the 55" version), but man, it sure made an impression. It is replacing a 6-year-old Sony 48" LED. In store, the regular LED, and even Samsung's QLED paled in comparison. The Sony OLED beat them all.

Good grief, this thing looks crazy good, especially on content (I'm guessing 4k) that is streamed through the TV's built-in apps. We have an HBO subscription, and Sony and Samsung are the only TV brands that currently have a built-in app for HBO Max. We watched Episode 2 of "It's a Sin" (highly recommended btw) and it looked fantastic. Deep color, crazy detail... we even don't mind the motion smoothing, might even prefer it. I'm guessing that tech has come a long way in the last few years. A little bit of first episode Season 2 of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" (even though we have already watched it) and that first sequence was nothing short of a revelation. We feel like the size is just about right in our space. Any larger, and given that we sit about 10-12' from the screen, would have been overwhelming. At $1500 at Best Buy and Amazon, it's a fantastic deal.

audiomixer likes this.
  20. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

If you sit 3 meters from the screen, you may not notice a difference in resolution. HDR may produce a better effect. OLED, of course, is always nice for true black.

[​IMG]

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  21. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

So what's the verdict?

22. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

That's a pretty accurate chart from my experience with my 32in. 720p Samsung. Folks don't seem to understand edge halo thickness vs dots on a screen and how distance blends it all for sharpness appearance.

This is the Prometheus BD at 3 ft. away. Not as good viewing 12 feet away.

[​IMG]

23. Brian Shively

Brian Shively I always have an opinion

I don't really have an opinion about what the best TV brand is these days, and I haven't owned an OLED or QLED TV. The big dilemma for me is finding a TV that is really good at upconverting lower resolution video content(480 and 720)for a 4K set. Most 4K TV's I've either owned or watched provided excellent 4K picture quality, but did a really poor job upconverting. Unfortunately, most content I watch is 1080p or lower, and almost everything I watch looks better on my 1080p TV. I really miss my 1080p plasma, nothing I've seen has looked better with 480p/720p/1080p. Also, the bigger the screen size the more pronounced the blurry and dull picture is on LED televisions.

Tim Lookingbill and audiomixer like this.
  24. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Sony has a better color palette.

Funky54 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.