TV on the Fritz: Help my Sony Wega!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by poweragemk, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Hey gang,
    Any time there's an intense red color on the screen of my 20" Sony Wega (first generation, bought summer 2000), it seems to shake or jump back and forth. I hadn't noticed this with any of the other colors. Is one of my 'guns' about to go out? Is this repairable, hopefully?

Thanks.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Michael, do you mean the reds shake, or the whole picture? Have you recalibrated lately, either via a tech or using AVIA or somesuch? Is this effect seen on DVD, broadcast signals or both?

If it's an alignment problem, a good tech can get the job done. If guns are failing...well....you might want to think about a new set, given how CRT prices have dropped. The 27" WEGA goes for under $500 now...

You might want to post a message at ecoustics or hometheaterdiscussion too...lotsa TV geeks over there!

3. poweragemk

Just the reds, Patrick. I haven't calibrated anything, mostly due to my own lack of knowledge/experience in anything TV-tech related...
    Pretty sure it's seen on both DVD and cable.

4. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

COMB filter. One for each color. Maybe something to look at.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I have some reference information on the service menus if you are comfortable with accessing them. I'm not sure I understand the question as posed, though. I have used the service menus of my 36" WEGA for things like turning off the "red push", improving black level retention, reducing overscan and fine-tuning geometry, tuning my S-video and component inputs so that the same color settings would work for both, and that sort of stuff.

Regards,

6. poweragemk

That might be interesting, Ken - I already have used the service menus in the past to try the set's anamorphic mode (clearly no big whoop at 20"). My thinking is that this is some kind of physical issue rather than settings-based, as the TV was fine in its last location (but has been moved a couple times since then).

7. pdenny

As you know Ken, fiddling with service modes is powerful juju. If you don't know what you're doing you can really botch things up. I recommend a calibration DVD like the AVIA GUIDE TO HOME THEATER to folks who want to get the most out of their TV's without risking service menu foul-ups. Still, if Michael's interested, here's a link to a good overview of the Sony service codes and more:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

Here's another good Sony page to peruse (the red push fix looks pretty simple, now that I've told you not to mess with service mode ;-):

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/sony/sony_tips.html

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Those are good references. If nothing else, if you are comfortable navigating the service menus, I would recommend switching the Y-DC and AXPL settings to zero.

Regards,

9. pdenny

:edthumbs:

10. poweragemk

Alright, I'll give that a whirl when I get home. Are ISF calibration technicians in the phonebook under TV repair? I might set up an appt. with one of them while I'm at it...

11. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

Is it me or is Wega too close to Vega?

12. pdenny

It gets better: you PRONOUNCE it "Vega."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.