TV Series you'd like to see on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

For me:

The Addams Family
    Gilligan's Island
    Seinfeld (supposedly in the works)

Perhapses:
    That 70's Show
    Titus

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Twin Peaks, season 2

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Dennis Miller Live
    Politically Incorrect With Bill Maher

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

WKRP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Oh my god....THEY'RE TURKEYS!!!!!!!!!"
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Twentieth Century Fox wants to release this, but it probably will never happen. They're in "rights hell" as far as the music featured in the show goes - it would cost them millions of dollars per episode to get song rights.

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Agreed on the TWIN PEAKS, and also add REN & STIMPY, the early stuff most of all.

ED:cool:

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Max Headroom
    SCTV
    Get a Life
    Square Pegs
    ALF

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents"
    "The Fugitive"
    "The Dick Van Dyke Show"
    "St. Elsewhere"
    "Hill Street Blues"
    "Northern Exposure"
    "The Bob Newhart Show"
    "Newhart"
    "Fernwood 2-Night"
    "Buffalo Bill"
    "It's Garry Shandling's Show"
    "The Larry Sanders Show"
    "The Muppet Show"
    "Sesame Street" (c. 1969-1979)

9. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

"Wonder Years."
    "Six Million Dollar Man - The Sasquatch episodes."
    "Newhart"
    "Seinfeld"
    "Gilligan's Island"

10. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The original 1957-1966 Perry Mason series.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

SCTV (NBC years)

The PJs

Hill Street Blues

Get a Life

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I thought I was the only guy in the world who remembers "St. Elsewhere". Man what a great show! I have the ultra-weird series finale on VHS. Aired only once. The MTM cat even flat-lines after the credits! :laugh: Great show.

Second vote for "It's Garry Shandling's Show" too.

And yes, 70s era Sesame Street (when I was watching). Much of the Muppet Show has been issued by Time-Life, right? There were also some recent DVDs in stores but they vanished.

Dan C

13. guy incognito

Unfortunately for "St. Elsewhere" (and "Newhart", and "Hill Street", and all those other great MTM shows) the sales of the first season set for the studio's flagship series, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", were very disappointing for Fox, or Warner, or whoever put out the DVD (I'm too lazy to go look).

There are no current plans to produce any more "Mary" DVDs, so it's probably not likely that they'll do sets for any of the other MTM shows anytime soon. :(

14. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I don't know much about "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," but some series, like "Newhart," didn't hit their stride until the second season or more. I remember the first season of "Newhart" was pretty lame, shot on video, with a weak smart-alecky next door neighbor. It hit its stride on film, with Larry, Darryl and Darryl coming around, and all the off-the-wall characters. Maybe they should skip the strict chronological format for some of these series.

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Too bad, one of my favorite music moments from that show is when Dr. Johnny Fever was playing Pink Floyd's Animals (Dog's) while the Big Guy was in there. Are those dogs on that record? Yeah. Huh, says here one of the songs is called Pigs. I don't do requests. Hmmm, TV Land (or was it Nick?) did a big marathon last year, wonder why that would be easier than DVD (or was it?).

Lots of good suggestions on this list. Here's to hoping this forum's influence is growing. :)

16. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Remember the KRP episode about the religious guy protesting the playing of "Imagine". Those episodes really stick with you (me).

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

THe Munsters
    Lost In Space
    Green Acres
    The Fugitive
    Have Gun, Will Travel
    Wagon Train
    Dobie Gillis
    Nowhere Man
    The Outlaws
    and about 100 others!...

18. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Ultraman

19. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Ummmm......

Small Wonder?

:D

20. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Three's Company
    Taxi
    The Brady Bunch
    WKRP in Cincinnati
    Freaks and Geeks
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Alice
    Happy Days
    The Odd Couple
    What's Happening!!

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The animated version of The Tick, at least the season where Micky Dolenz did the voice of Arthur. I understand the live action version will soon be out on DVD, but it's the cartoon that really worked best for me.

I'm also told that a DVD of The Critic is in the works. I don't think this show ever really caught on, but I always liked it. Heck, if Family Guy warrants 2 DVD box sets, certainly we can get The Critic out there as well.

And being a Martin Mull fan, I'd love a Fernwood 2-Night set as well.

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I believe Nick had to do a bunch of music substitutions and re-dubbing in quite a few cases where they couldn't lease the songs used in the original broadcasts. One particular case had them substituting something else for Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" in an episode where that song was pretty crucial to the plot.
    :rolleyes:

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Your joking, right man? I thought thats where the jumped the shark. I'd much rather the "Death Probe" episodes again. :laugh:

With all the old TV shows made into motion pictures I'm surprised they haven't done "Six Million Dollar Man".

24. guy incognito

The show's creators have a website which includes a petition for Dreamworks to release the show on DVD. As with "WKRP" and "The Wonder Years", the cost of licensing the rights to the music heard on the show is contributing to the studio's reluctance; still, it never hurts to add your name to the beggars' list.

http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd/

Another show I'd like to see on DVD: "China Beach". But there again, they used a lot of period music which would probably cost the studio an arm and a leg for the rights to.

25. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

The State is another show that would be really hard to release on DVD due to music licensing issues.

The show I'd most like to see is Get Smart, but there were a lot of shows mentioned here that I'd buy right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.