TV Shows held hostage

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, May 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I never thought Thomas was funny. "Dat's da part a da bill ya have ta pay yasself!"

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The OP's first sentence:

I'm not talking about shows which are not available due to lack of interest but shows which even if there was interest, the owners would not let out.

That's not Ed.

3. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

They really should make a coffee table book about the Gottfried thing.

WarEagleRK, Vidiot and kt66brooklyn like this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yup, i really want those Hornet episodes!!!

5. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

See also TV/ you want streaming thread but..

The later,m mid-1960(?)-1962 Felix the Cats in their complete, oroiginal length and with original ENGLISH voices,of the 1958-62 show,evben though all of the first season (1958-60) are intact, but also with the original cliffg hbanger format

Ed Graham and Post General Foods'; Linus the Lionhearterd..yeah, like that, based on Post cereral boxes, wilol ever be left off the hook for that. Infomercial..of course, perhaps they think the now obscurity would bna turn off.

ANd of Alvin, Beany and Cecil, and just about anything from the early 60s. And all of the 50s-60s Paramount cartoons (mixed bag,yesm, but laater ones,esp.one shorts, were good..)

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The 1950's run of Dragnet has never gotten an official DVD release (that I know of).

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A glass coffee table book.

I think for some reason the ownership was divided between Universal and Jack Webb, and because of a paperwork slip-up, the shows went into public domain. As a a result, nobody wanted to reissue them. They're also pretty dated and don't look great. The later 1960s Dragnet is a much more sophisticated show (visually, anyway).

Shoes1916 likes this.
  8. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Those are some great shows!

:shtiphat:

I know the Clampett estate is famously difficult, but why ALL of Beany is OOP is beyond me.

Same for the 1958/59 Felix set.

Alvin has that best of set out, but nothing comprehensive. :shake:

A large number of the 50s/60s Paramount shorts are available on the Harveytoons set, but Linus will never likely be available except as 16mm rips.

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

La La Land Records, Intrada and Varese Sarabande are in the business of producing limited run soundtrack CDs for all kinds of movies and TV shows, old and recent. Those can be as low as a couple thousand copies, and they are not that expensive, only $15-25. So I don't know why DVDs couldn't be produced in limited runs like that for low-demand programs.

But we're in the world where Disney won't put The Mandalorian on disc even though it could sell hundreds of thousands of copies. They want to grab you by the nards by permanently paywalling their content behind a subscription service. And, increasingly, we're seeing the only money they want to put into the service is for flashy new content that the marketing people get excited about. There's nothing sexy about restoring and clearing rights on decades-old content. So the new world is, we won't sell stuff to you on disc because we want you beholden to our subscription fees, but we won't spend any money bringing old content onto the subscription service because it doesn't bring in enough new subscribers.

Dillydipper likes this.
  10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Hence bootlegs

BwanaBob and sthorntn like this.
  11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm quite content with my perfect quality set of satellite masters that I recorded when the show was running on NBC.

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Chicago hope..

Craig likes this.
  13. James Slattery

That's another one you can put on the list. A smattering of PD episodes have made their way out but the vast majority of the 276 black and white episodes are buried since the 60s and Universal doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the show.

rockclassics likes this.
  14. James Slattery

Maybe a quarter of the shows are in circulation but at least 60 plus out of the 90 episodes are not.

15. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Shout Factory released the series on DVD, but it's unlikely to show up on streaming (David Simon cites the cost of music rights) or converted to HD (production cost).

16. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Lodge 49, the network didn't renew but I think there was enough viewership to keep it going. I suspect it might come back as it's slowly building cult status online.

The Dress Up Gang, a great comedy that got picked up by TBS only to air one season. The group is stuck now that TBS owns the rights but won't do anything further with them... for the time being.

Nirvanna the Band the Show, a hilarious comedy that was picked up by VICE TV. The show has been stuck without a network as VICE TV ceased to be a thing, I believe shuttered by their parent company Rogers.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

To release music CDs, all you need is permission from the entity that owns the master tapes.

To release a DVD, you need permission from the entity that owns the master recording AND the entity that owns the publishing. There are no set royalty schedules in the case of video, so each entity can ask whatever they want, or refuse outright.

So short run music releases are a lot easier than video releases that contain music.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I'm grateful we at least got the entire series on DVD in the mid-2000's with the original music. It may never see another release at this point...

19. James Slattery

Except for the one episode (I forget which one) where they replaced the William Tell Overture with another piece of music.

Steve Litos likes this.
  20. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I wonder if the old (1967?) fast paced crime drama "N.Y.P.D." starring Jack Warden is stuck in some sort of rights hell. There were amazing first and early appearances by some actors and actresses. I remember one in particular with Al Pacino, which may still be on a popular video site. As a kid watching it with my Dad and older brother, the show made NYC feel dirty and scary. It took years for me to get past that.

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I loved "Ed" until actor John Slattery showed up and completely ruined it for me. Because of him, I never watched one episode of "Mad Men", which I probably would have loved, but I loath that guy as an actor that badly!

Here is a great, although sad, scene from the show ...

Steve Litos and primejive like this.
  22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

They waited too long. Most young people would have no idea who Danny Thomas was. And the people who market products don't have much interest in marketing to senior citizens.

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

My Homicide DVDs aren’t on Shout Factory; they’re A&E. Like this:
    [​IMG]

Greg Arkadin likes this.
  24. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Yup, that's the 2007?-ish release, I think. There's also a cool filing cabinet version. Shout Factory just repressed the DVDs, AFAIK no extra features or upgrade in image quality. I think an overseas firm just released the series as well.

25. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

Yeah, Rossini would have sued them into oblivion for copyright infringement. :cool:

Someone In A Tree and team2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.