TV Shows held hostage

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, May 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

Agree he was a total d*&^ on Ed, but hey, Carol had bad taste in men from the start. He's kind of the same on Mad Men, but still totally worth watching!

2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Mystery Science Theater 3000

There are still a few episodes of the classic "make fun of bad movies" show that are not on DVD, due to the owners of the films refusing to negotiate on their licensing. Most famously Susan Hart, who is the widow of AIP founder James Nicholson. She controls several titles in the AIP catalogue, including these films which were shown on MST3K in the 90s:

The Amazing Colossal Man, It Conquered the World, Attack of the The Eye Creatures, Terror from the Year 5000, I Was a Teenage Werewolf

Shout Factory (who releases the MSt3K DVDs) has repeatedly inquired into a fair licensing deal with Hart, including full restoration and "un-MSTied" versions of the films on SF, but she refuses any amount of money to anyone wanting to license these films.

The Amazing Colossal Man was released on VHS in 1996, but was recalled as Rhino Home Video did not secure the licensing rights from Hart.

There are a few other episodes of MST3k caught in limbo, for a variety of reasons. Full list and thread here.

Vidiot, Shawn and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I might be stating the colossally obvious, but those “lost” episodes can be found online, if you look around a bit, sourced from broadcasts.

When the Best Brains gang told viewers “circulate the tapes!” it paid off decades later for anyone who really wants to see those episodes. You can find most of the original KTMA broadcasts online as well (I think one or two are missing and presumed lost).

citizensmurf and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Absolutely, they are not lost, but remain officially unreleased, and are being held hostage. What truly boggles my brain, is that these films are terrible, and only really have any notoriety from their appearance on MST3K. When these rights holders pass on, their estates may have a change of "hart".

Vidiot likes this.
  5. team2

team2 Forum Resident

It was "Lady In The Iron Mask." Apparently, the entire score was different from the broadcast version. One of the Moonlighting fan-sites discovered it:

Lisa's Other Stuff: Moonlighting

MLutthans likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

They also played at the Grand illusion Theatre in Seattle. I'm guessing that was in 2003 or so, and I was in attendance. They were run from 16 mm prints.

(Side note: These were cartoons made for theatrical distribution. I'm not sure that the discussion belongs in "TV Shows held hostage.")

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I completely understand what you mean by your post above, but with the constant advertising everywhere of St. Jude's Children's Hospital, I would hope that more "young people" know who Danny Thomas was and what he was really about, well beyond his TV show!

milankey likes this.
  8. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which is why you should never get rid of your videotape off network master recordings!

JediJones likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Those that sell life insurance plans, Medicare approved health plans, walk-in tubs, and stair-lifts have the senior citizen market cornered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.