TV Shows that didn't hang around long enough (aka Brilliant but Cancelled)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Earth2 - broadcast on NBC in the 1995/1996 season. It lasted all of one season.

I've never forgiven NBC for pulling the plug on that show...and I was just getting over them cancelling My Mother The Car 30 years earlier. :realmad:

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Too long lived, big wonder.

3. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I loved this show. It had a very interesting premise. A test car driver (Christopher George) accidentally discovers that he has a unique anti-aging element in his blood that could potentially allow him to live forever. And regular transfusions of his blood can temporarily reverse the aging process in those who receive it.

Enter a wealthy but dying billionaire who finds out and kidnaps him to be his own personal fountain of youth. He escapes captivity and must now be on the run as well as to try to find his never known brother who may also have the same gift.

Even though it mirrored The Fugitive with it's man constantly on the run premise, I quite enjoyed the show and was disappointed when it barely lasted a season.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've never seen (or heard of) "The Immortal" before... It sounds quite interesting, probably something I would have watched..

rogertheshrubber and 4_everyman like this.
  5. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Wow! 96 episodes and I'm sure they all sucked.

6. music4life

music4life Senior Member

"Flash Forward"
    Still pissed at ABC for their mishandling of the show.

kwadguy and 4_everyman like this.
  7. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Loved the show when it aired. For years, I had a Frankenstein set. 11 episodes uncut off beat up 16mm prints from AFN, then got the missing 4 from SciFi, although they were cut by 6 minutes. So glad it finally came out on DVD.

8. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

you remember the courtship of eddies father?....don't know if that could have should have gone more than it did. how long did land of the giants last?...

9. James Slattery

2 1/2 years. LOTG 2 years.

10. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I, too, was a big fan of that show. During its run I was in the 8th grade and the show inspired me to write some fan fiction!

If I'm remembering correctly, the show's pilot was an ABC Movie of the Week. Ironic that a show called The Immortal lasted only 13 episodes. :sigh:

11. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

LAND OF THE GIANTS lasted two full seasons.

13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree about being left with a cliffhanger. I had the same situation with the CGI series ReBoot. ABC cancelled the series at the end of the second season and left us with a cliffhanger. The series continued in other countries but those episodes weren't shown in the U. S. until almost a decade later when Toonami on Cartoon Network ran the Third Season. The Fourth Season (which consisted of two 50 minute-long episodes) also ended on a cliffhanger. Although there is ReBoot: The Guardian Code series recently released on Netflix, according to Wikipedia it is a reimagining rather than a continuation of the original series (I haven't watched it yet, but it is on my list).

jpelg and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Police Squad!
    Andy Barker, P.I.
    Thieves
    Men of a Certain Age

Jack Lord likes this.
  15. James Slattery

Close. Actually 15 episodes. I was also in 8th grade and loved it, as did most kids I knew. This was back in the days when there was no such thing as demographics, just raw numbers.

16. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

I’ve finally noticed these, both shows are a riot!

17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Antenna TV is running a The Paul Lynde Show marathon tonight, New Year's Eve, 6pm until 3:30am with a 90 minute break for a 90 minute Johnny Carson.

Matthew Tate and Bluepicasso like this.
  18. I'd love to see this released on Blu-ray but, sadly, I doubt we will ever get it. Wonder how many people would subscribe to a streaming service that carried only vintage TV shows?

19. I enjoyed the show. It's a pity they didn't allow a final episode or two hour movie to close out the series.

4_everyman likes this.
  20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Imo, television is rarely brilliant but this short lived series was very good:

[​IMG] Dead Like Me
    (2003-2004)

Late teen, Georgia Lass, is struck in the head by a toilet seat from a de-orbiting space station which takes her life, but she soon finds herself recruited by the higher powers into the ranks of grim trappers; the not-quite-completely-dead agents who guide the newly dead souls into the afterlife. I never could figure out whether the reaper designation was a distinction or a punishment for the way these folks conducted their time as mortals but the show isn't concerned with moral judgement in that regard, which is part of what makes it refreshing. The Reaper seems to simply be another job among many in the supernatural afterworld. Perhaps that's where the show got old. Season 1 of the short lived (2 season and a movie version) series is the best.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    beccabear67 and Pete Puma like this.
  21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Is that the one with the theme song beginning "A scientist both wise and bold set out to cure the common cold"?

22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Anyone who witnessed this one-season wonder knows what true comedy is - stupid people doing stupid things and then stupidly talking about it on television.

[​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I remember exactly one joke from that show: Matt Frewer coming out of the bathroom saying, "I just had a movement Beethoven would have been proud of." My brother and I collapsed in laughter at that. I don't remember anything else except that we enjoyed the show while it lasted.

I see a couple of otheres have mentioned Sports Night (2 Seasons). Brilliant and funny Aaron Sorkin writing before he moved on to drama in the West Wing. And a great cast.

Adding to those already mentioned: another vote from me for Firefly. Just as that show was about to pick up steam, it ended.

Molly Dodd
    was great while it was on regular network TV. Once Lifetime picked it up, it lost some of its edge. Also in the "dramedy" (awful word) category, add Hooperman, with John Ritter. Those two shows may well have just been ahead of their time.

I loved Ellery Queen too, which aired when I was about 6 years old I think. I've said on this forum before that the chemistry between Wayne/Hillerman/Hutton was great.

Better Off Ted was incredibly good, like laugh out loud funny in so many episodes. How that show didn't survive another couple of seasons is mindblowing to me.

24. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I liked this show when I was 10-11 years old. I thought the title was Stutz-Bearcat, but it was just Bearcats. A late period western of sorts, set in 1914. Only hung around for one season.

[​IMG]

beccabear67 and ssmith3046 like this.
  25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Herman's Head 1991-1994, the adult precursor to Pixar's Inside Out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.