TV Shows that didn't hang around long enough (aka Brilliant but Cancelled)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

MDs (2002) 10 episodes
    It was gone before Christmas 2002. It had sort of a M*A*S*H zaniness about fighting the corporate side of the hospital and the insurance giants. I thought it had great potential.

[​IMG]

Private Eye (1987-1988) 13 Episodes. Featuring young Josh Brolin.
    Set in 1950s Hollywood; too long ago to remember much about it except I liked it.

[​IMG]

2. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

Undeclared
    Freaks and Geeks
    Hot L Baltimore
    The Kids from C.A.P.E.R.
    That Was Then (only 2 episodes aired!)

Those are the ones that come immediately to mind. I would like to have seen "The Monkees" return for a revamped third season; the second season's looser feel and the introduction of guests like Tim Buckley and Frank Zappa definitely showed a promise beyond the usual '60s sitcom.

somnar, BZync and Cheepnik like this.
  4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

5. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I'll add to that and mention another short-lived Bryan Fuller show that I love called WONDERFALLS.

MoonPool and wayneklein like this.
  6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Veronica Mars.

The third season wasn't as great as the first two, but it still deserved a better fate.

When I was in high school, I felt like I was kryptonite for all my favorite shows. They constantly got cancelled. Besides Veronica Mars there was also Firefly, Angel, American Dreams, Freaks and Geeks... Plus Gilmore Girls, which ran for seven seasons but was cancelled very unexpectedly.

7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Two shows that I liked and felt were cancelled too soon were Eleventh Hour (2008) and Threshold (2005).

Eleventh Hour starred Rufus Sewell and Marley Shelton and was a science-based drama. Sewell's character was an advisor to the FBI and Shelton's character was an FBI agent assigned as a bodyguard for said advisor.

Threshold starred Carla Gugino with Brent Spiner, Peter Dinklage, Charles S. Dutton also in the cast. It was a scifi drama similar to X-Files.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Boomtown (2002-2003)

From IMDb:
    Donnie Wahlberg, Neal McDonough, ...

Doug

9. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

IN COLOR!!!!

Joe W, Aftermath and AKA like this.
  10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Quarry

Would have loved a 2nd season.

jeroemba likes this.
  11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

My Mother The Car

4_everyman and Jerry like this.
  12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Deadwood
    Deadwood
    Deadwood
    ….did I mention Deadwood!?;)

14. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

That was Mädchen Amick, better known as Shelly on Twin Peaks.

[​IMG]

Gavinyl, FVDnz, groundharp and 3 others like this.
  15. zane7570

zane7570 Forum Resident

Homefront 1991-1993

They hurriedly wrapped up the storylines for us dedicated fans who followed the show throughout the many times it was moved on the schedule. Would like it to be released on dvd

Butterfly Blue likes this.
  16. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Chappelle's Show

17. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Once And Again (Sela Ward, Patrick Dempsey, Evan Rachel Wood, etc.)
    Deadwood
    Freaks and Geeks

18. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

My Name Is Earl
    Raising Hope

BZync, Matthew Tate and EddieMann like this.
  19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Ellery Queen (1975) - Eminently watchable, even today. Wish it would have stuck around for a few years, although Jim Hutton died just a few years after.

somnar, Scooterpiety, jriems and 2 others like this.
  20. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Lots of great suggestions already.

I'd add:

It's Your Move (Jason Bateman and David Garrison)
    Relativity (Kimberly Williams/David Conrad/Jane Adams/Adam Goldberg)
    Aquarius (David Duchovny, Gethin Anthony)
    Boss (Kelsey Grammer, Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson)

A few UK series:

Saxondale (Steve Coogan, Ruth Jones, Rasmus Hardiker, Darren Boyd) I'll add that I don't believe this was cancelled. I think Steve just didn't do any more episodes.
    Early Doors (John Henshaw, Craig Cash, Phil Mealey, Christine Bottomley)
    Starlings (Brendan Coyle, Lesley Sharpe, Matt King, Steve Edge)
    Hebburn (Kimberley Nixon, Gina McKee, Vic Reeves)

I'm not sure if it's cancelled, but it's been about 3 years since the first season: Spotless (Brendan Coyle, Marc-André Grondin, Denis Ménochet)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Silver Surfer likes this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

We have had threads of a similar kind, and I always bring up the same series: Copper:

It was about (cited from IMDB): "Set in the Five Points neighborhood of New York City in the 1860s, focusing on a rugged young Irish cop who is forced to navigate his unruly and dangerous immigrant neighborhood while interacting with the uptown Manhattan crowd and the black community."

Produced by the BBC, it only ran for two seasons (10 and 13 episodes respectively), and then was cancelled: Copper (TV series) - Wikipedia

It was absolutely terrific . . . the plot was constantly evolving, the characters were complex, etc.

Ed Hughes, Darksolstice and darkmass like this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Tim Lucas posted on FB that he is working on a commentary track for The Night Stalker (and after that The Night Strangler). He didn’t say anything about the series, but he did say that the series itself was somewhat of a disappointment for him.

And I agree, McGavin and Oakland were the driving force behind the series. Kolchak is one of the most memorable TV characters ever.

BwanaBob, Doug_B and wayneklein like this.
  23. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

The Canadian show "Intelligence" lasted only 2 seasons, 2005 - 2007. Canadian Organized Crime Unit / organized crime interaction with focus on a key figure from each side of the fence and series-running arcs. Rented the DVDs a couple of years afterwards. Wish that series lasted longer than 26 episodes. Highly recommended.

Doug

mx20 and ohnothimagen like this.
  24. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

25. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Spectacle: Elvis Costello with... was a UK/Canadian television series that was shown on Channel 4 in the UK, CTV in Canada. The show features intimate interviews between the host, Elvis Costello, and various musical guests intertwined with performances by Costello and the guests, separately and together. Guests ranged from Lou Reed to Tony Bennett to Bill Clinton to Bruce Springsteen and many many more.

Its first season consisted of 13 parts and was screened in 2008/09. The second season consisted of 7 parts and was screened in 2009/10.

I'm not sure why the series ended, probably because Elvis Costello had other things to do, or he grew tired of the grind, whatever but I wish the series had continued.

somnar, Jarleboy, phillyal1 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.