TV shows that got a big screen version made with most of the original cast or star

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

The sixties seemed to have a few of these big screen variants on TV shows such as Batman and McHale’s Navy. I loved seeing my favorite TV stars in a movie theater. Star Trek is probably the most successful jump from TV to silver screen.

I remember looking forward to The Nude Bomb but was bummed it didn’t have Barbara Feldon. Thank goodness it still had Don Adams.
    More recently Police Squad nicely transformed into The Naked Gun film series.

So to be specific, the movie version needs members from the original cast in starring roles, NOT REMAKES with a new cast (Bewitched) or small cameos of the TV cast (Mission Impossible). It’s okay if someone is missing in action, such as McHale’s Navy Joins the Air Force. It still had other key players.

What ones do you like or hate?

2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

firefly -> SERENITY

Veronica Mars, jbmcb, downer and 5 others like this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Dark Shadows and House Of Dark Shadows

jwoverho and Pizza like this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Monty Python And Now For Something Completely Different

5. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Munster, Go Home!

6. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

In 1956 once the tv sitcom “Our Miss Brooks” ended they did a movie with the cast that pretty much boiled the whole four years down two hours. Miss Brooks finally gets Mr Boynton to propose.

Jack Webb did a movie of “Dragnet” in 1954 while both the tv and radio versions were running. It was in colour and used an inverted mystery. We see the killers in the beginning and the movie concerns Friday and Smith trying to prove it. It didn’t turn out very well. Friday is nasty to a witness who chickens out (Alvy Moore-Mr Kimball of “Green Acres” fame) and the police methods are real heavy handed (frequently stopping the killer and searching/harassing him).

I Like “McHale’s Navy Joins the Air Force” despite the absence of Ernest Borgnine and Carl Ballantine. Ensign Parker is mistaken for an Army Air Corps pilot and bumbles his way to heroics and an invitation to the White House.

Pizza likes this.
  7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I can't believe no one mentioned "Star Trek:The Motion Picture" yet.

Edit: the OP did mention Star Trek....thats what I get for speed reading.

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

there was a reno 911 movie

CoachD, TheVU, paulewalnutz and 4 others like this.
  9. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Twin Peaks (TV) -> Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (Film) -> Twin Peaks: The Return (TV)
    (though BOB in "The Return" was only archival footage from earlier)

and 1966-68 Batman (TV) -> 1966 Batman (Film)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Jazzmonkie, polchik and Pizza like this.
  10. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Breaking Bad - El Camino

Uncle Meat, polchik and Pizza like this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

No Julie Newmar - No good :mad:

12. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

X Files

CoachD, BrentB, JediJones and 3 others like this.
  13. Pizza

Right?! My young heart was so disappointed. My first crush. Nothing against Lee Meriwether though.

downer likes this.
  14. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

The X-Files and Sex and The City are two more recent examples.

JediJones, altaeria and Pizza like this.
  15. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

16. Pizza

I’m surprised it hasn’t been done more often. It was certainly used well to promote sci-fi shows like Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica. If I recall correctly wasn’t Galactica released in Sensurround too? That’s kind of cool.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    altaeria likes this.
  17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Strangers With Candy

Gunn, a feature film version of the Peter Gunn series (though Craig Stevens was the only cast member who reprised his role)

Scowl likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Or Eartha Kitt.

Steve Litos and majorlance like this.
  19. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

But at least Henry Mancini did the music as he did for the original TV series. (And it's actually a
    pretty good soundtrack).
    [​IMG]

20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Do animated series count? Because The Man Called Flintstone, Beavis and Butt-head Do America, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, and The Simpsons Movie.

21. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Yep - all of those count IMO. Man Called Flintstone is also a good example of this trend from the 1960s as Pizza pointed out above. There were several theatricals of Man From UNCLE in the 1960s too but they were basically re-edited versions of TV episodes with a little bit of extra footage.

Uncle Meat, MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  22. svoegtlinNH

svoegtlinNH Well-Known Member

Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Scowl, jbmcb, Zeroninety and 3 others like this.
  23. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

The Scooby Doo movies should have kept the original cast.

Lots of British sitcoms had films with the original cast: Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, Steptoe & Son, On The Buses, etc.

24. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Man From Uncle with the chick from Ex Machina starring. Very good and totally under the radar

Previously mentioned but deserves another mention, Serenity with all the cast from Firefly. A fantastic coda to the series.

21 Jump Street, another good movie adaptation

Deadwood. Sadly, the movie didn't deliver like the series but, it was great to see all the characters one last time.

25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I, too, agree that animated movies should count as long as they feature as much of the original voice acting cast as possible. In the case of A Man Called Flintstone the only original voice actor from the series not to appear was Bea Benaderet who was the voice of Betty Rubble (it is likely because she had passed away). Gerry Johnson, her successor, voiced Betty Rubble. Another one to mention is They There It's Yogi Bear! which features all of the original voice actors (although James Darren does the singing for Yogi).

I'd also mention the many animated movies that came from Batman - The Animated Series. These include Batman - Mask Of The Phantasm, and Batman - Subzero.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.