TV shows that got a big screen version made with most of the original cast or star

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

If I recall correctly, he still had a female sidekick in the movie.

2. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

There were a couple of female cast members.

I think you'd do a "reboot" today and go to the beginning of the relationship for the best effect, and they likely wouldn't have done that if they had brought Barbara Feldon back. Or they just thought she looked too old for the role, which she probably did by that point.

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

South Park. And they still killed Kenny!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

More recently, Downton Abbey

JediJones and altaeria like this.
  5. Here in Canada we had the Kids In The Hall movie Brain Candy and Trailer Park Boys: The Movie, both with the original cast intact.

Scowl, JediJones and unclefred like this.
  6. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

The Gong Show Movie (1980)

Queen For a Day (1951) with an early role for Leonard Nimoy!
    (Perhaps based on the radio show with the TV show to come later?)

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You b@st@rds!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Manapua likes this.
  8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

One of the twins appeared in the Fox revival series in the mid 90s, played by Andy Dick.

JediJones likes this.
  9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Strange Brew was based on the SCTV sketch. Similarly, Jiminy Glick in Lalawood took a TV character to the big screen. And the SNL films for the record:

The Blues Brothers 1 and 2000
    Wayne's World 1 and 2
    Coneheads
    It's Pat
    Stuart Saves His Family
    A Night at the Roxbury
    Superstar
    The Ladies Man
    MacGruber

As someone said, it's more common for live-action British comedy shows to do this than American ones. Mr. Bean is one example that wasn't mentioned yet.

The 1986 Transformers animated movie was a direct continuation of the TV animated series with the same voice actors.

These were other theatrical movies released around the same time of their 1980s cartoon series:
    DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp
    My Little Pony: The Movie
    GoBots: Battle of the Rock Lords
    Babar: The Movie
    Heathcliff: The Movie
    Pound Puppies and the Legend of Big Paw
    Here Come the Littles
    Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer
    BraveStarr: The Movie

Not sure how many of them used the same voice actors, but many seem to show they did.

The 1990 Jetsons: The Movie apparently used voice actors from the original cartoon.

There was a Pufnstuf movie in 1970.

There was a 2015 Entourage movie, which apparently was trashed by critics but still made over $30 million in the U.S., which doesn't seem that bad to me for a spin-off of a pay cable series.

The Charlie's Angels movies used the same actor for Charlie as the TV series did, and the second and third one had Jaclyn Smith reprise her TV role, so they were technically in-universe continuations of the show.

Baywatch similarly apparently had cameos from David Hasselhoff and Pam Anderson.

There was The Lizzie McGuire Movie and Hannah Montana: The Movie, which was a pretty big hit.

Also The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course movie with Steve Irwin.

Barney's Great Adventure was a movie...with that dinosaur.

From Adult Swim, there were Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie and Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters. And from Cartoon Network, The Powerpuff Girls Movie.

There were Pokémon, Rugrats, Teen Titans Go!, Hey Arnold!, PAW Patrol and Spongebob Squarepants theatrical movies. Don't know enough about them to say if they used the same voice actors. Wiki says Spongebob did. And that Rugrats takes place in continuity between the 5th and 6th seasons of the show.

Doug's 1st Movie used the TV cast.

It looks like the 1995 Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie used some of the TV show cast.

There were a couple Thunderbirds movies in the '60s, not sure how connected they were to the TV show.

Also don't know much about Jackass, but I think those movies were continuations of an MTV show.

She was mid-40s around that time. Below is her on Pyramid in 1978. I think she looks good and obviously she looked "good enough" ten years after this for the TV reunion movie Get Smart Again. I think the attitude in 1980 was just to copy the Bond formula of putting a new love interest for the hero in each movie, and make them as young and sexy as possible. But that's not really what fans wanted, as the TV movie has a much higher score on IMDB. Her chemistry with Don worked and that wasn't easy to replace.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I checked Wikipedia about the movie they mentioned a joke in the opening of the movie: Would you believe...a movie called The Nude Bomb would get a PG rating.

Max had one main female sidekick in the movie, Agent 22 played by Andrea Howard.

Ninety-Nine also appeared in the Fox revival of the series. If I remember correctly, she had been elected to Congress.

JediJones likes this.
  11. Solitaire1

JediJones wrote the following as part of a post:

Jetsons: The Movie did feature most of the voice actors from the original series. The one exception was Judy Jetson, who was voiced by Tiffany. Tiffany sounded quite different from the original voice actor, Janet Waldo.

JediJones likes this.
  12. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I saw the Nude Bomb when I was 10 and even then I could tell it was piss poor.

13. Solitaire1

I saw it and thought it was okay and worth seeing at a theater, but it wasn't a great movie. I did get a few laughs but it's not a movie I'd add to my collection to keep.

14. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Daws Butler, the original Elroy, had already passed away when the movie was in production so he was replaced. Janet Waldo actually recorded her vocals and was paid, but Tiffany (who was already signed to do Judy’s signing voice) rerecorded them because it gave Universal another way to promote the film. The movie’s voice director was so upset about this move that she had her name removed from the credits of the film.

Both George O’Hanlon (George) and Mel Blanc (Spacely) passed away prior to release, though they had recorded most of their lines. Jeff Bergman stepped in to finish their work.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. But TheMan From UNCLE didn’t have the original cast.

Pizza and JediJones like this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

That’s quite the list!
    I don’t remember a Charlie’s Angels 3

17. Solitaire1

Thanks for the corrections. I'd heard that it was O'Hanlon's last voice work because he passed away shortly after completing his voice work, and the same with Mel Blanc. I didn't know that Janet Waldo was intended to be Judy Jetson's spoken voice, I thought Tiffany was chosen to completely replace her (both speaking and singing).

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well Bombs aren't/weren't sexual...different thinking back then. When people were real and not nutbars...

19. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

You have nudity in a PG movie back then. Airplane had a topless shot in 1980. Splash had some partial nudity with Daryl Hannah in 1984. Roger Ebert said of 1984's Sheena:

"This movie is rated PG, not PG-13. It's probably the only PG-rated movie that will play continuously on the Playboy Channel—you see more of Tanya Roberts than you did of last month's playmate."

20. Michael

what happened? how did we go backwards?

21. Michael

Star Trek The Motion Picture...the best of the bunch!

22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

PURR-fect!!! :love:

23. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Mission: Impossible vs. the Mob is a 1968 American spy film. It is the first film based on the television series Mission: Impossible, consisting of a compilation of a two-part episode of the original series from 1967 called "The Council".

24. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Well PG-13 did absolutely nothing except invalidate the G rating. G stopped being used almost completely, PG became the new G, and PG-13 became the new PG

Spielberg and other directors literally say they put content into their movies to make sure they get a PG-13 rating. PG is now considered a kiss of death rating for anything but a kids movie, just as G used to be. Of course, back when PG was all you had below R, there was no stigma attached to that rating because it could have more mature content. The same stigma was on the G rating...considered acceptable only for kids movies.

It just shows that trying to forcefully change language doesn't ever accomplish anything. People will just shift the old meanings into the new terminology, and eventually the new terminology will be perceived exactly as the old terminology was.

Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

One of my favorite TV comedies: STRANGERS WITH CANDY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.