TV shows that have not been shown on TV in a long time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 8, 2019.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Drew Carey Show was on Laff recently.

MikeInFla and Grand_Ennui like this.
  2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Car 54, Where Are You? = Best comedy show ever.

3. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I remember the science fictional episode of The Name Of The Game that a hound Stephen Spielberg directed! The only episode I ever saw back then.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Third season episode

Gene Barry in 'LA 2017'

Directed by Steven Spielberg - this led to Steven being invited by the NOTG Robert Stack segment producer George Eckstein to then direct the TV Movie 'Duel' starring Dennis Weaver re a car driver being menaced by a monster petrolium tanker on the desert freeway...

'LA 2017' - written by Philip Wylie sees Publisher Glenn Howard (Gene Barry) returning from a conference re the dangers of world pollution dictating a warning message for the president whilst driving a hire car along a winding country road in 1971....a faulty air conditioner causes Howard to pass out and leave the road....only to somehow go through what seems to be some kind of time warp and awaken into a nightmare future polluted Earth in the year 2017 ad with an unbreathable atmosphere....and society driven to live underground....

as if pollution would ever be a threat like that eh....???

the opening graphic here is taken from a Robert Stack segment episode - the graphic originally rotated per segment putting up the featured star first so the original graphic order here would have been;

Gene Barry / Robert Stack / Tony Franciosa

MikaelaArsenault and WLL like this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The Mighty Heroes - A short-lived Saturday Morning series about a group of not-so-great superheroes who end up winning despite their many mistakes. As far as I know, only one collection was released on VHS (I had a copy and it was recorded at EP and the soundtrack was badly done, with it sounding like the soundtrack for the episodes were mixed up). The only other thing I saw was a comic book miniseries that gave their origin and introduced a new member.

MikaelaArsenault and wayneklein like this.
  6. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...You mean with Cuockooman, etcetera?

7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I love the theme to that one too.

8. I love this show. Ralph Bakshi directed and created these

9. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

Taxi

I haven't seen it on in 20+ years.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

True - once Taxi was as popular in the UK as Cheers and MASH - wasn't Danny Devito and Marilu Henner in it ?

not been on here for many years either !

11. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Lancer - early seventies western show starring James Stacy, Wayne Maunder, and Andrew Duggan - with Rawhide's Paul Brinegar in the second final season

it used to alternate seasons in the UK on BBC TV with 'The High Chaparral' which is still on CBS channels here as is 'Bonanza' and 'Gunsmoke'....however 'Lancer' has never returned here in decades

is it on in the USA ?

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Benson, at least down under.

13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yes, Danny and Marilu were in it, along with Judd Hirsch, Jeff Conaway, Tony Danza, Andy Kauffman, and Christopher Lloyd...

I can't remember who played the first season character of John (too lazy to look it up :) ).

I'm sure it's been on somewhere since then, but the last time I recall seeing it was when Nick at Night or TV Land aired it back in the 90s I believe.

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Lancer" *was* airing in the USA on the H&I (Heroes & Icons) network on cable, but they've since stopped airing it.

Billo and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of those characters looks like Time For Timer.

16. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Taxi has aired recently, maybe within the last 5 years, on either MeTV or AntennaTV. One of the all-time great shows. Aired from 1978-1983. First four seasons on ABC and last season on NBC.
    :wiggle:

17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

A year since you posted and it STILL has not been officially released. Were they not listening to you and I? I share that pain of loss. :)

18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Too true. I am surprised it only lasted 5 years. I have such fond memories of it and so many that I think it ran longer.

MikaelaArsenault and JeffreyB like this.
  19. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I wouldn't know that. I don't get either channel.:(

20. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Hooperman
    Slap Maxwell
    Molly Dodd
    Trying Times (wonderful PBS anthology comedy series)

21. Solitaire1

Yes, and included Ropeman, Strongman, Diaperman, and Tornadoman.

I just remembered that The Mighty Heroes made an appearance on The New Adventures Of Mighty Mouse. They were older and retired from superheroing, and had become accountants.

22. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I remember shortly after they went to NBC Danny DeVito hosted SNL & brought the Taxi cast on stage.

23. Solitaire1

wayneklein wrote the following as part of a post (I removed the video so I could post mine):

I enjoyed it too. It's unfortunate that so many properties with potential have fallen to the wayside. In the right hands (especially with the recent interest in superheroes), I think The Mighty Heroes could be a success.

It reminds me of another series that I think could have had potential: Fraidy Cat. It was an animated segment on the live-action series Uncle Krok's Block that starred Charles Nelson Reilly (I've read it described as one of the worst shows ever). But I saw potential in Fraidy Cat, see the following cartoon:

BTW, the man who voice Fraidy (Alan Oppenheimer) also voiced Skeltor on He-Man.

24. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Molly Dodd was great. I have those on VHS.

maclen, MikaelaArsenault and somnar like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I like the sitcoms that try to capture some sort of zeitgeist of their time, like Slap, Molly, Larouquette and Grace Under Fire. Naturally the establishment is throwing development money at more "timeless" subjects, because there's more relevance ("non-relevance"?) in those that have a better life in syndication.

So, blessed are those who try to do something different, rather than the same. The Good Place will prove itself to be one of those highlights.