TV shows with excessive canned laughter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by willy, Nov 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The first season of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" did too. At the time it was the "Rocky the Flying Squirrel Show" with Bullwinkle J. Moose.

Dillydipper likes this.
  2. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I just came across the "CCCP 1" episode on YouTube and the canned laughter is barely audible. Very nice!

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you and I define "barely audible" differently. The laugh track sounds pretty loud to me! :shrug:

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't remember it being bad at all when I was a youngster watching it in real time..but when my wife and I decide to watch the series on DVD the laugh track was overwhelming and so annoying!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Laughter is pretty low on my end.

Scowl likes this.
  6. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

In many cases I can't hear the fake laughter under the dialog. I can almost ignore it.

7. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

Big Bang Theory.....hate the show too :):)

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:shrug: Sounded pretty "normal 'SCTV' level" to me!

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Slightly off-topic...
    When I was in college one day our entire class was shanghaied to be the 'audience ' of an episode of ' Reach For The Top '.
    'Reach...' was one of those shows where teams from schools competed against each in a fast paced question quiz.
    Anyway....one of the show's staff prepped us by telling us how to applaud , laugh and react throughout the taping.
    But none of us were into it. It was early in the morning and we were possibly hungover , probably a little high.
    After a couple of minutes our lack of enthusiasm was noted and we were chastised and told to be more interested and vocal.
    Well, vocal they got ! Every question answered correctly was greeted by wild applause and hollers, each comment by the host was cause for loud laughter and shouts.
    Never did see the finished product but someone told they they reshot the entire show.

SandAndGlass and Paul Gase like this.
  10. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I also liked how there is no canned laughter on around half of the jokes. This really helps to make it tolerable.

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I also own the complete series set and as you said, no laugh track on it...

I picked up the complete first season (a stand-alone release), and zero laugh track on there as well... So there was no laugh track added when issued to home video (DVD).

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

for me. one second of canned laughter is too much.

i totally despise it.

Scowl, Matthew Tate and arley like this.
  13. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

I detest laughter in sitcoms - canned or live audience, I don't care. But I like Friends. Not as much as I liked it twenty years ago, but still like it. I have the first seven seasons on DVD. Sometime after that it became way too formulaic and boring.

The best episodic comedy that I've watched has to be Scrubs. I never cared for Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory.
    Or, maybe he is grouchy because he, in his "autumn years", cannot relate to the everyday quest for a next sex partner and the tragedy of turning 30.

14. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Maybe a new version of X-minus software will come out that has a new setting that will only erase laugh tracks.

Addams Family: fixed!

15. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

Voiceover? The worse crime against the intelligence of a viewer than canned laughter. I think I watched the theatrical version of Blade Runner once, no wonder it flopped.
    Which is why the late George Carlin is my favorite American stand-up artist.

Ken K likes this.
  16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I watched a first season episode of SCTV recently and the laugh track was the worst I've ever heard. It almost seemed like a joke, but it was too bad even for that.

Scowl likes this.
  17. Michael

recently again we watched some of the Addams Family TV on DVD...still cannot believe how intrusive the canned laughter is? or is it just us?

18. Michael

sign me up!

19. Grand_Ennui

It must be all of you guys :hide: ;).I have no issues with laugh tracks: I'm so used to them always being there, I give them no thought.

I don't go to too many concerts, but I hate the excessive crowd noise, so I guess I can see where you're all coming from though... But, I know crowd noise a part of a concert, so I expect it, just like I expect sitcoms, especially older ones, to have laughing/laugh tracks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  20. Grand_Ennui

I'd still tend to think I'm right- The show sucks :)

21. Michael

fair enough. : )

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I would say that she has more than one talent....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I've been going through more SCTV videos on YouTube and I now see that the level of canned laughter varied a lot. The first season is definitely too loud but they turned it down in seasons after that to the point where I almost don't notice it.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ya know what I'd love to hear at the start of a show? "This episode was filmed in front of an ambivalent, uninvolved audience..."

That way, you only hear the audience groans, and the occasional guy shouting out for them to bring the warm-up comedian back...

25. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I just watched episode one of season one on DVD and there was no canned laughter. It was not called the Rocky the Flying Squirrel Show. Would this have been an earlier or later show?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.