TVShowsOnDVD.com: Offline the last several days

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SonicZone, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

It appears they didn't just shut down for the hell of it. I didn't know that the co-founders sold the site to TV Guide many years ago. Judging by the comments from one of them, Gord Lacey, on Home Theater Forum, the decision may have been out of their hands.

Then, over at DVD Talk, someone posted an e-mail allegedly from TVShowsOnDVD informing members of a security breach and the decision to take the site offline.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Well ...thanks all for the view into what may have caused their demise. TVGuide probably couldn't figure out how to make money with it so gave orders to look for an excuse to shut it down.

While this issue is hot, it may be a good idea to gather alternatives, as I don't see any useful release info on the FB and Twitter sites. One I found is "comingsoon.net/dvd/dvd-releases". Does anyone have other suggestions?

eddiel likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I received mine this morning.

4. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Wow. This totally sucks. I used the site on a weekly basis for many years. Not on Facebook so I guess I'm out of luck.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Guess I'm back to visiting HTF.

6. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

HTF?

7. I assume he means Home Theater Forum. A name I haven't heard in a very long time.

OldSoul likes this.
  8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

You don't have to be on Facebook to view their updates. Here's last week's news:

TVShowsOnDVD.com

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The loss of the easy-to-access database layout of the website and "at a glance" new releases list on the main page makes the Social Media "news only" thing useless to me.

Oh well...

chilinvilin likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

don't like the FB move...I'll stick with Bluray.com.

11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I'm not a member, but I check out HTF daily, especially their TV on DVD sub-forum. I've often thought about signing up, but joining a forum nowadays seems so 2003... :laugh:

12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I am one, and that's the part of that forum that I visit the most (most of my posts are in that forum).

13. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Oh yeah, I recognize your username.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

TV Guide has made some weird decisions over the years, like buying JumpTheShark.com for $2 million and then burying the site and shutting it down. I have no idea what their motives were.

chilinvilin likes this.
  15. Michael

probably studio generated? negativity is not good for their business especially on the net where millions see it.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, with a name like "Jump The Shark," and pretty much 99% of the discussions are geared around "at what point did a TV show fall apart and get really bad," I think they should've known exactly what they were buying. Jon Hein, one of the sites originators, has said he's baffled as to why they basically paid him $2 million for all the rights and then did nothing with it.

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. Michael

they did quite a lot..they killed the site that was a detriment to their finances...smart move with stupid money...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.