Twilight Zone reboot with Jordan Peele - CBS All Access - Series Cancelled*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, that worked well...

2. Michael

LOL. yea right I guess they want it all around...we pay and pay.

3. Michael

in name only ...

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'd call it a remake or a continuation rather than a reboot. One of the points of a reboot is that it restarts the original continuity at a certain point and takes the story in a different direction. If there is no continuity then there cannot be a reboot.

MKHopkins likes this.
  5. Solitaire1

Unfortunately, it led to unfortunate editing when they released it as 30-minute episodes for syndication since the original episodes featured episodes of uneven lengths. The episodes didn't feature stories that worked out evenly timewise (such as [in minutes] 30/15/15 or 60 or 30/30. Some episodes might have worked out as 20/20/20 or 30/20/10.

As an example, the remake of "The After Hours" was edited and the scariness of the episode was toned down (if I remember correctly one removed scene had Marcia running into a bin full of mannequin parts and they are looking at her and calling out to her). While I enjoyed the episode it definitely seemed toned down in the syndicated version.

6. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I really liked the reboot they did in the 80's (I was 10). The opening was pretty damn creepy (still is! And the music is done by The Grateful Dead). A few years ago they were on Chiller station; some of them were good, others were forgettable.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I figured someone would have to so this on one of the streaming sights. Good compliment to the new Star Trek show. I think it would lend itself to higher quality in this more limited episode format. They don't have to come up with 20 plus scripts each year. I love the idea of letting the story naturally flow as long as necessary. There is no reason that they couldn't release an hour and 12 minute episode one week and a 20 minute episode the next. I think it would be fun to have a show with seemingly random length episodes but with no padding to lengthen shows or forced quick endings to bring it in under an hour. I would suggest about 30 minute episodes, in that Rod himself thought the series worked best in the vignette approach.

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good idea. Hopefully they will just use the original scripts and reshoot them verbatim.

9. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

There is an Outer Limits episode called”ZZZZZZ” but it’s not about the Zanti Misfits. It involves a young lab assistant who is actually a queen bee that has transformed into a human and is looking for a mate.

10. Michael

I know, but the Zanti Misfits came to mind...

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Im loved the 80's one the 2000's one was kinda eh..
    Do we need it again no as much we reboot of Tales From The Darkside..
    Cbs is fishing .. maybe Remake Of Friday The 13th The Series..
    The movie is great.. especially the last story :D

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this happening ?

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Don't know what to think about this given it was done once before. Some of the episodes on the last reboot were quite good, but I'm skeptical.

14. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I submit for your edification,one TV series that was a classic in the sixties,redone in the eighties and now being done again this could only be done in THE REBOOT ZONE!!!

15. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

The 2 other reboots were good hit and miss, but I think Black Mirror pretty much gets it right overall.
    Not sure there is enough room to come up with a hundred great stories anymore.

The TV viewer today is aware of all the old shows, and nothing will seem truly intense or crazy or a surprise.

16. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

That would make for a horrible show.
    Everyone knows at least 50% of the Twilight zone stories, and where would any surprise be?

17. Solitaire1

Friday The 13th - The Series has a premise that I think would work better as a continuation rather than a reboot. It could be that the Original Team eventually recovered all of Uncle Louis' cursed objects and sealed them away. Unfortunately, after more than 20 years all of the members of the team are gone.

Unfortunately, like the story of The One Ring, some things that should not have been forgotten were forgotten and now someone has opened the Vault...

18. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

In the late 70's the networks gave us reunion movies of classic 50's and 60's TV. Gilligan's Island, The Wild, Wild West, even Cannon witch was only gone for five years. The mid to late 80's were ripe with reboots. Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Star Trek, The Untouchables, Mission:Impossible and many others. This is nothing new. When a studio owns a property with name value that is guaranteed to have recognition they are going to use it. The fact that we are discussing it here is proof.

Encuentro likes this.
  19. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The 80s one had a few good stories but for the most part was just okay, kind of like a poor man's Night Gallery actually. The one in the 2000s was on one of those faux networks, WB or UPN or something. Its too bad the 80s version didn't rate well nor did the Alfred Hitchcock remake at the same time because ABC was all set to bring back Outer Limits at that point and it would have had to have been better than the crappy version Showtime did.

Blimpboy likes this.
  20. Michael

any release date been announced?

21. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I liked the crappy version Showtime did in the 90's. I thought it captured the spirit of the show well. Joseph Stefano, the 60's original producer, was involved as a consultant.

22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

We must not have been watching the same series. Just about every single episode of the Showtime series would have a gimmick or trick ending, like Twilight Zone did. Name one episode of the original Outer Limits that did this. I can't think of any.

23. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

"Nightmare" - It is revealed to only be a military test at the end.
    "Specimen:Unknown' - The spores are only killed when it begins to rain at the end.

24. Solitaire1

I think a reason that an anthology show like The Twilight Zone has trouble maintaining an audience is because there is nothing except for the stories for the audience to connect with that will lead them to come back. If the stories aren't good enough often enough it might lead people not to return.

Two anthology shows that did succeed were The Love Boat and Fantasy Island and the reason I think they lasted is because both shows provided a consistent cast and setting for the audience to connect to. In both cases, the setting allows for a wide variety of stories (and in the case of Fantasy Island pretty much any type of stories is possible).

Morton LaBongo and Blimpboy like this.
  25. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Two great shows. And don't forget Hotel. The same premise applied to that show as well. They tried bringing Fantasy Island back in the late 90's. It didn't last a whole season. I thought it had potential.