Twilight Zone reboot with Jordan Peele - CBS All Access - Series Cancelled*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Nov 2, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This.

HoratioH likes this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I don't hold out hope for this.. retelling of some classic episodes already told
    in 80's version and the movie..

3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

You are correct. I know it was hosted for Whitaker and I thought it was on Fox. I apologize for the error.

AKA likes this.
  4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It could work, provided they stay true to the original structure of Columbo: Right from the start we know who did it and how it was done, the fun is seeing Columbo catch the perpetrator.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Official promo for Nightmare at 30,000 Feet. No, it's not a remake of the classic Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The cinematic style is a big winner here in making these kind of stories credible, intriguing and hopefully scary.

But Peele's Rod Serling announcing the Twilight Zone tag line needs work or someone else to deliver it with more of Serling's Jack Kerouac-esque beat generation coolness. Unfortunately I really can't think of anyone else who could pull that off. Probably an unknown actor, radio announcer or broadcast news man to give it more ominous weight. On TV Peele mainly established himself as a comedic actor in his Comedy Central skits.

MikaelaArsenault and Encuentro like this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So in the official trailer, there are quite a few guest stars for this that weren't mentioned. Unfortunately, I only know that John Larroquette and John Cho will be in it and that's all.

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Looks pretty good but not enough to subscribe to All Access. No show is worth subscribing to another service. I believe CBS should just air these shows on TV. And as much as I love TNG even the Picard series won't be worth paying for a subscription.

I've seen the Forest Whitaker series, I actually have it on DVD. I wanted the 80's show and ordered it but got the newer version instead by mistake. I figured since it was TZ I would keep it. Some of the episodes were OK but most were not good at all. I liked the episode with Billy Mumy reprising his role as Anthony.

9. MikaelaArsenault

I agree.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

So they are getting a comedian known for doing Mad TV and comedy movies to do "The Twilight Zone"? The original series wasn't intended to be funny, but looking back on it a lot is now unintentionally funny by modern standards. Maybe they are going to play on this and make it campy and funny at the same time as interesting mysteries.

11. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

While he has played the genre for laughs before, Peele has always made clear his interest in serious horror films. I would think this was all well-known, but his horror film Get Out was wildly successful, and his new one Us is doing even better. Did you watch the trailers for the new show? It looks relatively serious and intense to me, perhaps even more than any previous incarnation. That being said, they also got a "comedy director" in John Landis to direct a segment of the 80's Twilight Zone film, and his segment was the most serious and least campy of the lot.

You raise a larger question about how older works (i.e. the original TV show) are seen by modern standards. I still watch those old episodes all the time, and while they are clearly dated, and sometimes intentionally humorous or ironic, I don't see much about them that is unintentionally funny, but if you are referring to bad special effects and/or outdated morality stuff, maybe I can see your point.

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Here’s the first episode, free and uncut via CBS All Access’ YouTube channel:

13. MikaelaArsenault

Awesome. :)

905 likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

15. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

This is airing on conventional commercial TV up here in Canada.

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I saw that show on Sunday. Hard to believe anyone can smoke 4 packs of cigarettes per day, but Serling paid the price for such a bad habit. As far as the CBS Sunday Morning Show, there have been several great Features of Music Artists. I always love the Nature Video shown at the end of each episode.

17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I watched it on YouTube (transmitted to my TV) and my thoughts: Too long, I think this would serve better as a 30 minute series (based on this episode). Call me old fashioned but when i was a kid I would watch Twilight Zone with my dad and i loved it! I would not watch this with my young kids because there is too much language in it. I don't mind it but I don't want my young kids to hear it. Jordan did a fine job as narrator. I have never heard of him and know nothing about him but thought he did fine. If they put more episodes up for free I will watch but still will not subscribe to All Access.

Spastica, Murph and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I watched the first two eps and thought it was - meh.

Yup, completely agree. The second one also felt too long. They were both kind of lame. I just don't see the point of this remake. Why not do something new instead of reinterpreting an old show (which frankly doesn't stand up today, childhood nostalgia notwithstanding).

Shows like Room 104, Inside No. 9, Black Mirror are newer versions of mystery anthologies in a similar vein with shorter run times and which felt more interesting.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

I watched some of the first episode last night on YouTube, but we couldn't finish the episode unfortunately.

Hopefully we'll be continuing later on tonight.

20. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Definitely could have been a 30 minute episode. Figured it out well before that and just had to wait patiently for it to get there.

21. MikaelaArsenault

It was nice to see Tracy Morgan in this.

SRC likes this.
  22. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The "Comedian" episode was pretty lame, and unnecessarily vulgar.
    If that's what they're putting out there to draw people in to subscribe and watch more then I don't know what to think...

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I got as far as "suck my vag". Sterling rolls in the grave.

24. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Was surgery involved? ;)

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  25. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

While we’re here, a great episode from the 80’s version...