Twilight Zone - The Complete Series Blu-Ray - Pricing Updates*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jsayers, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Just picked this up tonight - cheapest I've seen this $399.99 list price box is at Amazon, for $178.49.
    $152 is quite a bargain for this set which includes all 5 seasons, plus all the extras on the previous "definitive" sets, which has been getting fantastic reviews. All 3 of the Costco's in my area has them in stock, although not a lot of copies. Just a head's up for a deal on one of the best shows in television history, imho. :agree:

tz box.jpg

2. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Did they ever fix the problems with the discs not playing correctly?

3. jsayers

I haven't heard about that. I'll do some research before I open mine. Where did you hear/read about this?

4. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

When Season One first came out, people were having problems with discs one and four. Either the disc wasn't being recognized or it would freeze during playback. Sony's suggestion was to do a firmware upgrade. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. It really depended on the player whether you would even have a problem.

5. jsayers

Thanks - that's what I managed to dig up just now. Also, nobody mentioned that the discs in the "Complete" box had problems, just those that were buying the individual season one set. The Complete box came out later. Still I'll be sure and watch those discs first. :righton:

6. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Tempting.... :) I already have seasons 1 and 2, with current market prices I could save money by just buying the box in order to complete the set.

Haven't had any playback problems on my season 1 set (I bought season 1 when it first came out)- that I have a Sony blu-ray player may/may not be relevant.

The quality of these sets are amazing for their age.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, the quality is just representative of how great 35mm B&W camera negative was, and also how good the cinematographers were on the series. Stuff shot this well on film holds up forever (well, at least as long as the film survives).

When I last inspected the Twilight Zone negatives back in 2004, I was concerned that the emulsion was just beginning to start flaking off, due to storage issues over the years. I'm glad they were able to at least get them mastered in 2K for HD release. That probably captures all the quality in the original negative, and if the digital files hold up, the show will last indefinitely. I wish the studios would do this to a hundred other great B&W shows that aren't as well-known.

8. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

You guys are starting to talk me into getting this set. The best quality of the shows that I have are on laserdisc and a few DVD's. I had started collecting these ages ago when Columbia House released them on VHS. Those were simply horrible looking, and I knew it. But, it was the only way to get them, and they were much more expensive than this box set.

[​IMG]

9. jsayers

Although bluray.com doesn't review the box itself, check out the individual reviews down the page :
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twilight-Zone-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/39787/

10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

For me I just lay dvd disc on tray and wait and push play.
    Woops, thats standard dvd:D.
    This why HD dvd should won the so-called format wars
    no downloads.etc.

11. jsayers

NEWS FLASH!!!

TZ BR box is on sale at Costco until Dec 24th for $119.99!!!!!!

:goodie:
    Going back tonight to get my $32 price adjustment...

mj_patrick likes this.
  12. Damn. Wish Costco Canada would have a bigger music/dvd/blu-ray section. It's so tiny. They only have a few titles for sale at any time and rarely any box sets.

13. There were quite a few at my Costco so clearly this isn't a limited edition and some stores got more than others...

14. It was an inferior format. Blu-ray was rushed to market with unfinished specs to stay viable. At this stage, though, there really shouldn't be any need for additional firmware updates I mean the product has been out for years.

15. jsayers

By the way - I checked my discs <#1 and #4> and they play fine, for those that had concerns....

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Cool that there are two versions of the mono soundtrack on each disc: restored and unrestored.

mj_patrick likes this.
  17. This set is the standard by which all television on Blu-ray is measured. It's a fabulous box set, from the transfers to the copious amount of extra features.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I don't have the box set but bought all five volumes individually as they became available. It's an astounding achievement, picture quality is awesome and the extras are amazing, I'll never have the time to get through all the bonus material, the radio shows etc.. It's obviously been a labour of love for those involved and it's so nice to see a project like this done properly with such attention to detail. The prices for the box set mentioned above should make this a no-brainer for anyone interested. A real bargain.

full moon likes this.
  19. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

This may be a silly question, but why listen to the unrestored??

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have not heard this particular set, but in general, "Not all tweaks are good tweaks." It's nice to have the option.

Matt

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I already have the complete edition on DVD from a few years ago. If I didn't have that, I'd buy this. But I can't justify buying it again...

22. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I have the DVD version, but for this price I will get the blu ray set.

23. If you are watching on a display larger than 40", the improvement in visual quality alone on the Blu-ray justifies forking out the dollars for it.

24. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I
    I have a 60 inch Samsung plasma.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I discovered TZ as a kid on my 12" black and white. And I can tell you almost every line from every episode. Seasons 1 and 2 were terrific. By season 3 the writing quality dropped, and I cannot think of a really good episode from 4 and 5. And while I do own the DVDs, I would love to go back and watch them on that old 12" portable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.