Twilight Zone Top 50 Episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Jul 13, 2020.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I was reading up on The Battle Of Little Bighorn the other day and remembered "The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms". It had been years since I have seen it so I decided to watch it. Pulled up Netflix and Twilight Zone is gone! Ok, I'll just watch it on Prime.... Gone! So now it looks like the series has been removed unless you have Paramount+ (which I don't because I don't really want to add another streaming service). I will ask my wife for the complete series on Blu-ray for Christmas. It is decently priced (at least right now). I could probably wait for the episode on MeTV but it would be nice to have the complete series since Season 4 wasn't on streaming anyway for some odd reason.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I have Amazon Prime and any time I looked at a TWILIGHT ZONE on there, the image was full of "banding" - large grey areas were separated into lighter and darker bands - really annoying. The same was true with Paramount+ or its prior name of CBS All Access. It ALWAYS looks fabulous on the Blu-ray set. If it's currently reasonable, don't hesitate to purchase it - it's worth every penny - and I recall a time not that long ago when this set shot up to the stratosphere in price when the original Image license lapsed.

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

My Top Ten:

1. A Stop at Willoughby
    2. Walking Distance
    [​IMG]
    3. Midnight Sun
    4. To Serve Man
    5. Hitch-Hiker
    6. Eye Of The Beholder
    7.Nothing In The Dark
    [​IMG]
    8. The Masks
    9.Night Call
    10The Arrival

entropyfan, GMfan87' and MikeInFla like this.
  4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Too bad when SYFY does their marathons they don't tend to play the more rare ones. If I never ssw the Shatner one with the plane again it would be too soon.
    I'm currently starting to watch ones I never saw before.

SunSon likes this.
  5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I have one of the DVD sets, I think as far as stories go the first season is the best.

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

All gone now.

I am overdue for some binge watching.....I go through episodes every few years or so.

7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I totally disagree about 4 to 9. Some of my favorites are in that pack. I like those better than 1 to 3, especially the third one.
    I like 1 and 2 but Five Characters in Search of an Exit is the most overrated one in my opinion.

8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

This one is my favorite also, I just recently bought the dvd box set, can’t wait until this episode comes up.

Alf., FritzL and GMfan87' like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

10. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

The Masks is the one that everyone always raves about that I just do not get. And it gets worse every time I watch it.

First, extra powers in the show typically come from God or are supernatural. They're not given to a character to use as he sees fit.

Second, old crotchety dude, give your Goddamn money to someone else. You clearly don't have to give it to your family, you say so yourself. You don't seem to have any friends or any other interests, I doubt you are blameless in how your family turned out, even though the show tries hard to make it seem so. But just give the money to someone else, your family won't show up, you hate them anyway, you aren't entrapping them into years of misery through some sadistic trick.

At some point old crotchety dude is going on about art appreciation. You're going to scar people for life over art appreciation. Granted at that point I'm ready to kill him myself.

You were young once. Maybe your vapid granddaughter will mature, if you actually gave her a chance. No, you decide to scar her for life as well, you sadistic creep.

Really haven't seen much else with as whacked morals as The Masks. It might work as horror, but we're clearly supposed to see it as a morality play.

finslaw likes this.
  11. HGN2001

You have to push, push, push to get to that episode. Push, push, push!

mooseman, FritzL and MikeInFla like this.
  12. Grant

All the way, down the line!

Here's the set I have that I bought at Walmart a few years ago. It even contains the rare episode about the bigoted war-mongering American captain in an Asian war suddenly turns Asian. It was so controversial that it hadn't seen the light of day since the 60s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    stereoptic and mooseman like this.
  13. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

This is hilarious , never thought of all those points. I watched Walking Distance last night , a terrific episode , made all that much more poignant I thought, knowing what happened to Gig Young in life. Perfect in that part.

MikeInFla likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

For Christmas my wife bought me some Twilight Zone books (old stories but recent pressings with updated covers). Walking Distance is in the first collection and I read it last week. Was a nice read. I like reading stories of the episodes.

[​IMG]

15. MikeInFla

During the marathon I recorded some of my favorites. Mainly I was looking for the hour long episodes. Haven't seen those in a while as when they were on Netflix, Season 4 was not for some reason (same with Prime). I enjoyed "Thursday We Leave For Home". Watched it yesterday.

Edmoney likes this.
  16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

My favorite that has not yet been mentioned is "Four O'clock" with the great Theodore Bikel as a man obsessed with destroying evil. Bikel didn't have a lot of scenery-chewing performances but this one...yow. The story isn't the most original but his performance is brilliantly OTT.

17. HGN2001

I think you may be confusing two episodes. The one you describe was called "A Quality Of Mercy" where Dean Stockwell is transformed into a Japanese enemy soldier. That episode also had Leonard Nimoy in a minor role.

The episode that was missing for years was from late in Season Five and was called "The Encounter". It had not been part of the syndication package due to a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement (along with "The Miniature" and "A Short Drink From A Certain Fountain"). Later the cases were all settled and the episodes started showing up on TV and in home video packages.

"The Encounter" featured George Takei and Neville Brand. Brand hires Takei to help clean out his attic and old WWII hostilities break out between the two.

18. Grant

"The Encounter" was also 'banned" because of its controversial nature.

19. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I've felt this from the getgo. The old man is sort of the worst of them all, entirely judgemental, I think a better ending would be if he wore a mask that changed his face as well. I really wanted to like it since I am an Ida Lupino superfan when it comes to her directorial films (when will Outrage get released?)

Earlier I eluded to 4-9 being overrated, which I would defend this way (spoilers):

4) To Serve Man - rightly famous for the ending, but that is pretty much all there is. The lead up to it isn't all that compelling, there is no moral and it doesn't hold up to rewatches IMO.
    5) The Invaders - love so much about this episode but one thing drops the ball, there is no way those are spacesuits for humans, unless Orson Welles became an astronaut.
    6) Nightmare at 20,000 Feet - similar to the above, the SPFX are the main issue here. When I watch TZ I don't like to say "keep in mind it was 1963." The more timeless episodes don't need to be excused on such grounds, for instance Shatner's other (and superior) episode Nick of Time.
    7) Masks - same reason as stated by another.
    8) Game of Pool - I'm surprised it is that famous, really talky, and I feel that Winters cheated the built in rules at the end.
    9) Will the Real Martian Stand Up? - Maybe this one will grow on me, a whodunit, but this sorta paranoia was more meaningful in Monsters are Due on Maple Street.

Here is a hastily done top 40:

1) Eye of the Beholder
    2) It's a Good Life
    3) Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
    4) The After Hours
    5) Walking Distance
    6) Nick of Time
    7) The Living Doll
    8) Perchance to Dream
    9) Five Characters in Search of an Exit
    10) The Silence
    11) And the Sky Was Opened
    12) The Obsolete Man
    13) The Midnight Sun
    14) One for the Angels
    15) The Invaders
    16) Printer's Devil
    17) I Shot an Arrow in the Air
    18) Number 12 Looks Just Like You
    19) The Howling Man
    20) In His Image
    21) Trouble with Templeton
    22) Mirror Image
    23) Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
    24) To Serve Man
    25) Penny for Your Thoughts
    26) A Nice Place to Visit
    27) Ring-a-Ding Girl
    28) Miniature
    29) What's in the Box
    30) The Self Improvement of Salvatore Ross
    31) In Praise of Pip
    32) Young Man's Fancy
    33) The New Exhibit
    34) A Piano in the House
    35) The Lonely
    36) People Are Alike All Over
    37) A World of Difference
    38) Lateness of the Hour
    39) Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room
    40) Shadow Play

Honestly, I would more curious to read someone's bottom 20.

20. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I've been watching eps since the '70s as a kid and I had all the videotapes... I watch the NYE marathon each year, but that is mainly for the community that forms on Twitter and it's cool to get in on the conversations -- the episodes themselves are edited to hell... SyFy is editing out about an extra two to three minutes out of each ep.

21. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I don’t know if I have it in me to rank twenty, but “The Fear,” the next-to-last episode of the series, is pretty abysmal. Mark Scott Zicree described the dialogue between the two leads as Rod Serling (who scripted) having a conversation with himself, or words to that effect, and it’s absolutely true. But there are many things wrong with this one.

Though it’s bookended by “Come Wander With Me” and “The Bewitching Pool,” both very good and favorites of mine.

22. HGN2001

Possibly - the reasons are unclear according to Marc Scott Zicree, but the other episode, "A Quality Of Mercy" was never withheld for any reason. It was always in the syndication package.

Grant likes this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I just recently bought this same box set on sale at Barnes & Noble. I’m really enjoying it.

Grant likes this.
  24. Grant

As a matter of fact, i've been watching it for the last couple of weeks, bouncing from one episode to another. The picture and sound quality are excellent. But, i'm missing a "Play all" option on the menu.

25. HGN2001

Wow, too bad.
    My older Image Blu-ray set has a Play All option. Here's a quick & dirty phone picture of a main menu screen.

[​IMG]

Grant likes this.