Twin Peaks Soundtrack Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Thanks. As I was more than happy with the beautiful packaging and had no issue with the DW OST, that makes the DW FFWWM even more appealing, as long as the pressing isn’t warped and there isn't excessive surface noise (as was the case with my DW OST). It’s one of the rare cases where I’m simply mainly in for the artefact. I have the original CDs, too, plus a rare Japanese one. Just the price is a bit off-putting but the artwork design and sheer quality of the sleeve and slipcase of the DW make it worth it almost for the sleeve and coloured vinyl alone, especially if you’re a TP freak.

Dubmart likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Man, this Death Waltz rerelease has at least been educational for me. Look at Discogs. 112 copies and they start at.... errrr.... £9,99. Goes to show reasonably priced reissues are the way to go. They also bring the price for originals down. At least temporarily.

I guess some of the members here were right when they railed against fabricated collectables that were probably overpriced. Sometimes it takes time to see certain things in a certain light:angel:

candyflip69 likes this.
  3. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I agree with a goodly bit of this takeaway, but if this reissue had sounded good, the Discogs stats wouldn't be nearly as extreme. Poor pressings felled these reissues more than colored wax and fancy packaging. Not to mention terrible timing. They had the rights to do these LPs for years, but wanted to wait until TP:TR was being released. That process dragged on and, unfortunately for them, their window was ending so Warner was able to announce their cheaper, better pressed Rhino reissues while these were still on sale. If you dig through the Mondo/DWRC back catalog, you'll see that most of the scores they've released for popular properties like Twin Peaks, hold or increase in value. Feet to the fire, I'd still prefer well-pressed black wax in a simple sleeve to wacky colors and newly commissioned art. Anyhow, just my two pennies.

4. marcfeld69

Oh, that's not representative. The first one for $9.99 states that it's damaged (or admits to surface nice on two sides). The rest shoot up to around $30:

Angelo Badalamenti - Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (Vinyl) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

I still think the first DW is a beautiful collectable. I remember Twin Peaks fans going bananas over it. I'll have a re-listen to mine and if it has any serious issues, I'll be the first to admit it, here! I'm happy to take a chance with the DW FFWM still, but the price of the reissue is very tempting.

[One rider to the above is that I can't do any A/B for the original DW S/T with the Rhino reissue as I only currently have the DW, but maybe later.]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    ad180 likes this.
  5. marcfeld69

I'm just having a listen to the DW S/T now and I'd say there is nothing excessively wrong with this pressing. There are a few pops on the first track and the surface noise such as it is is only noticeable if you jack up the volume to an unnecessary level, which I think happens on most records. As above, I can't speak to a comparison with the Rhino reissue, which I guess could be totally silent, but I really don't mind hearing the needle on the record a bit; otherwise I'd get a CD. :)

Notwithstanding the possibility that people really did get badly pressed copies and I was just lucky, I think there is a lot of hysteria going on here about Death Waltz.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you were lucky, than I was lucky. Absolutely nothing wrong with my DW pressing after a cleaning on the VPI.

I still plan to buy a Rhino at some point... too many reissues and some good new indie records coming out!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I too have both DW issues and have no problems whatsoever with either of them

I love the "wacky colours" and the "newly" commissioned art (which is neither new or 'commissioned')

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. Mateo Sanboval

Is this the SHF version of a subtweet?

"Wacky colors" was already a nod to folks that complain about the variant before listening to it for themselves (I just got some wild mutlti-color swirl of the Manhunter soundtrack by Waxwork and it is dead solid perfect sounding). The artwork and package design is absolutely done new for these releases by Sam Smith and Jay Shaw, respectively. I presume they were paid and, therefore, it was also in fact both "new" and "commissioned". DWRC was quite proud of the fact that the artwork, package, and vinyl color were director and composer approved. Now while the latter points are not of any concern to me, they should be proud; they are, as @marcfeld69 said, beautiful collectible(s). And the ones that weren't marred by pressing plant issues sound fine. There's a fair chance I own more DWRC releases than all but a few folks here at SHF so I'm definitely not dismissing them out of hand. In fact, I'm a fan. That said, there's nothing wrong with being honest and fair with an opinion. In my opinion, and in the opinion of virtually everyone else I have read or talked to who owns all four, the Rhino reissues beat the DWRC reissues hands down and at a not insignificant discount. The World Wide Web is already chock full of places where opinions are required to be only black or white can't there be a little gray here and there? And can't folks be happy with their thing while still acknowledging that it may not be everyone else's? If you own the DWRC editions and you're happy with them, good! That's all that should matter. But it doesn't negate the fact that they are objectively inferior fidelity-wise to the Rhino reissues. Folks deserve to know that and choose for themselves. Frankly, I hope they choose the DWRC because I want soundtrack labels like that to thrive and multiply. Even if I wish they used better pressing plants from time to time.

marcfeld69 and Neonbeam like this.
  9. ad180

I just scoured this thread for actual comparisons between the Rhino and the DW.

Did anybody here buy both, and actually compared them? I may have missed it, but I don't think anybody has posted a comparison.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Not new as its the pattern for the Red Room

And commissioned would mean it - the pattern- was specially created especially for DW

And where are any 4 way comparisons that we can read?

Just seems like to me that the DW detractors (not you particularly) went a bit overboard with over correcting in favour of the Rhinos as they were a) cheaper and b) "better"

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. marcfeld69

There definitely are posters claiming to have heard both, maybe not in a detailed way. I Amy not have read all the pages.

12. marcfeld69

I think that you are being fair, on the whole. And there are actually perhaps more positive takes on the DW here than I remembered before posting recently. The only problem I have – and it's more a personal one, which is that as a TP fan I was happy to pay the high price for the DW S/T and had no problem with the records as stated above. Then I read here that the Rhinos are on the whole better. So now I want to buy both! Far from saving money or having had the chance to save money, I will probably end up buying both sets in the end. But I don't regret having the DW S/T and will get the other DW FWWM. But I am more likely to buy the Rhino FWW right now (I'm sure the original artwork will look great, anyway) and be left in limbo trying to decide if it's worth it once I have the Rhino. But there have to be bigger problems in life... It's certainly not the end of the world.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  13. Mateo Sanboval

Tell me about it. I have the DWRC LPs, the Rhino LPs, the original CDs, the original cassettes, and an OG LP of the Twin Peaks Soundtrack as well. It's pathetic.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. marcfeld69

Not really! I can't match that but I do have what might be a rare Japanese EP for Twin Peaks called Peaks Mania EP as well as the standard TV S/T. (Europe 1998 RE):

Julee Cruise • Angelo Badalamenti - Peaks Mania EP

Haven't worked out the difference yet.

Robert C and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  15. ad180

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. Mateo Sanboval

I believe it's actually a Sacred Bones release to go along with their simultaneous reissue of Cruise's The Voice of Love, her second LP. I think IDIB have an exclusive variant for The Voice of Love and that the version of Three Demos you linked to is the same as Sacred Bones' limited variant. All that said, IDIB, as they did with both Twin Peaks: The Return releases, are managing to sell the records cheaper than the label who made them. They are kind of the best.

andycherry and marcfeld69 like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Just found a German original - complete with TV hypesticker - for 15€ and am surprised how great and silent it sounds.

marcfeld69 and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  18. Mateo Sanboval

That is both awesome and legitimately the best deal I've heard of yet. Kudos.

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Don't forget that the German vinyl isn't necessarily rare. Back then we were hopelessly behind any US schedule - and don't even get me started on that horrible dubbing - and the first episode premiered on German RTL - surrounded by much hype - on 9/10/91. And since vinyl was still popular over here the soundtrack staid in print for quite a while.

The thing is that most dealers immediately grab it and put a high(er) pricetag on it. And that it's not that easy to find a super clean copy.

What's most puzzling though is how great a run of the mill 1991 Ahlsdorf pressing can sound when today they are struggling to get their premium limited editions right.

APH, marcfeld69 and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  20. Mateo Sanboval

So many good point in this post. Hear hear .

21. ad180

Nice! Is this the original TP soundtrack or FWWM?

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

"FWWM" has lost some of its value but would still be a steal at 15€. :righton: It was the original 1990 soundtrack. Which is a nice companion piece to the DW edition. I mean.... that artwork with road, mountain and town sign.... that's damned iconic. And frankly needs to show up somewhere on a "Twin Peaks" soundtrack.

Undecided if I should get a Rhino "FWWM" or an original.

23. ad180

Ok, just making sure since we've been talking about both on this thread.

Next year, maybe I'll make it to Germany for some record fairs. You're lucky... outside of Europe, you will not find the original FWWM for 15€ unless you are extremely lucky.

24. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

After stumbling across this thread, I went full in.
    1. I bought the black rhino on amazon for 14 Eur, then the green one for 13.
    Thought briefly about canceling one, but thought it’s a good idea to keep both.
    Later the evening, I found a deal on both death Walz reissues for 44 eur incl. shipping.

Went crazy and bought them too.

That should do...

25. Mateo Sanboval

[​IMG]

Marble Index and mr.dave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.