Twin Peaks Soundtrack Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally picked up a copy of the Rhino FWWM.

Sounds damn good. According to Discogs, it was cut by Alex Wharton at Abbey Road. :thumbsup:

When I have time I'll A/B with the Mondo/Death Waltz version but I think I know what's going to win. This Rhino LP sounds like the CD I've listened to for years. Warm, nice soundstage, dynamic.

2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

The original soundtrack was re-re-re-released on green wax last month.

Lucca90 likes this.
  3. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

That's one damn fine piece of vinyl. Damn fine.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

buyer beware. i tried several pressings. all littered with god-awful non-fill.

Neonbeam, mr.dave and Jerry Horne like this.
  5. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

The Mondo versions were a complete disaster. From design to playback. Just horrible. I keep wondering why I’m even holding onto them, given how good the Rhino releases sound and they used the original jacket imagery, etc...

Neonbeam, Dubmart and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  6. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Really? The Rhino ones are that much better? My Mondos are a bit crackly but I don’t have anything else to judge them against...

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Over here they also charged twice what the Rhino ones cost as well, I did end up with the Mondos, but I have zero recollection of buying them and owning mint originals I didn't need them, they must have been really cheap or a trade, but guilt has made me forget.:confused:

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The originals pressed at Alsdorf play perfectly, I think the rhino reissues are pretty close to that standard as well, it's been a long time since I read this thread, but I believe some Mondos were horrible and to be honest for the price I wouldn't be happy with "a bit crackly".

9. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I don’t have a Mondo to compare. But count me as another one impressed with all the Twin Peaks Rhino reissues. Quiet pressings with dynamic sound.

10. Mateo Sanboval

Really. The Mondo/DWRC are terrible compared to the Rhino pressings. There really isn't any grey area involved. I have copies of both and at least a dozen friends or acquaintances who've come to the same conclusion. That said, I begrudge no one who likes the aesthetic of the Mondo/DWRC versions better or even those who don't mind or can live with the surface noise and inferior pressings. People should enjoy and buy as they see fit. Just know there are better - much better - pressings available.

Dubmart and hhjack like this.
  11. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I got two copies of the Europe Rhino a few months ago after reading the review on Discogs. Returned the first because it was super noisy even after two trips through the Spin clean. Returned the second because it had a huge scratch across the first two tracks of side B. Sounded great though.

might just pick up a green one for kicks. They’re on sale for $20 at my local shop. I do feel it’s one of those quiet LPs that lends itself to noise and that I end up over thinking every time I play it. Like Mark Hollis I’ll probably just stick with the CD so i can sit down and enjoy it instead of stressing over every pop.

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Every foking time I'm reading about or coming across those Mondos in stores or online (much cheaper than what I paid for of course) I'm trying to think what the fok I was thinking. These little fokers have been sitting unplayed on my shelf for years now. I don't even want to be reminded of what I posted above years ago. :hurl:

Good thing: That definitely was the last time I fell for that "limited edition" (or "artist approved") b/s. I mean.... it's not as if I could have known back in 2014/5.

Any. Way. Good to know I'm not alone! :hugs:

13. Mateo Sanboval

Ha! Neon. You're the best.

Neonbeam and ejluther like this.
  14. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Mondo, in general is pretty great IMHO. I’ve gotten plenty of vinyl releases from them and with one exception (minus TP), they’ve all been worth the money. I think too many hands were involved in the making of the Twin Peaks albums. And apparently the pressing plant was infamous for bad product (from what I’d read from others.) I was shocked when last year they doubled down on this set and released the event series in the same design format. I mean at that point who would be stupid enough to purchase that?! :laugh:

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think calling the Mondo pressings "terrible" is extreme. My copies have no pressing issues. I enjoyed them when I played them.

In terms of sound quality, the Rhinos have that "breath of life" mastering, while the Mondo is just ok, not terrible.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Looking back I have to admit that it's not cool to release something and hype it as "limited edition" etc and then..... months later a more affordable and probably even superior version comes along.

I didn't want to do it but I just did look at Discogs.

"Fire Walk With Me", DW51, 123 copies, starting from 21,13€.

"Twin Peaks", DW50, 114 copies from 13,66€ (ignoring a beat up 4,50€ copy!)

Not sure about initial US prices but over here these came with a hefty price tag so.... ouch!

:buttkick:

The limited editions are not what they seem! :evil:

17. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Anyone know if the green Warner/Rhino 2020 is as good as the black 2017?

18. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I like the green. For those of us in the US it’s like $20 at my local store. I went through 2 copies of the black one ordered import on Amazon and they both suffered from crackles and surface noise and the second one was worse than the first. I think that possibly early runs of that one were better given the timing of comments on Discogs and here.

Sick of dealing with that one I just picked up the green and although I’d rather it was black and had the original label style I really like it. Clean, noiseless and a very nice presentation. I wasn’t able to a/b with the black one but I say go for it. Especially for the price.

marcfeld69 and GentleSenator like this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

sounds just as good as it's a repress. my copy was littered with non-fill, however.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  20. marcfeld69

Right, sorry about. Hope it's not typical. What is non-fill? :hide:

21. marcfeld69

Cool. Tx.

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. marcfeld69

Good article. Despite the pic I can't see any 'string of pearls' but I'll have to follow this up. I'm not sure that I've ever seen non-fill on a record but I don't doubt I'll start seeing it everywhere now (when I finally find out what it looks like).

24. marcfeld69

I get it now. @Easy-E helped me on my way. One could say it's rather 'non-fulfilling' to be the recipient of such a record!

25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Just got the 2017 Rhino/Warner Fire Walk With Me soundtrack (last copy I could find stateside) and it has some nasty pressing defects on side 2, anyone else have this issue?

[​IMG]

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.