Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I meant that it has some people who were in Pink Floyd decades ago, and it sounds kind of like Pink Floyd but it's not really Pink Floyd. It's something else. I think the third season was groundbreaking and brilliant in many ways, but maybe three of the eighteen hours felt like Twin Peaks to me. The rest felt like Eraserhead and Lost Highway, and his other more experimental works. Which is fine, I just missed the goofy charm of the TV show. There was a little bit of that with Dougie/Cooper. FWWM is one of my all time favorite films, and it was very different from the show, but it had a sharp focus that the third season sorely lacked, IMHO. It was just about Laura, in Twin Peaks. Not dozens of new characters in six different geographic locations, and a totally unnecessary and overly long Pitchfork/SXSW band showcase at the end of just about every episode.

I think that Kyle absolutely killed it with the three performances. I hope he wins a pile of Emmys. I would love to see an entire series that tracks Bad Coop after 1991.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That's where I disagree. Twin Peaks: The Return (Season 3) is still Twin Peaks just as The Endless River is still Pink Floyd. I stand by my analogy which you supported in your own statement, "I meant that it has some people who were in Pink Floyd decades ago" = DSOTM vs Piper.

3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

My biggest problem with season 3 is how much time they spent outside of Twin Peaks with characters unrelated to Twin Peaks. Vegas, NYC, South Dakota. I just didn't see the point of any of that. As much as I loved the Mitchum Bros. and Dougie's boss. The original story was so full of interesting characters in that small town.

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

In case anyone's interested, I just noticed that Hallmark is in the middle of a Psych marathon, and the "Dual Spires" episode is scheduled for 8 pm (eastern) tonight.

Chip Z, DeeThomaz and cboldman like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Has anyone read Stephen King's book "Revival"? It was published in 2014. I've been picking at it for about 6 months now and finally getting to the home stretch. Anyway, there are certain elements of the story that remind me of Twin Peaks The Return. I was dismissive of them as coincidence at first but it becomes more and more apparent. Specifically things about electricity, science crossed with religious ritual, and something referred to as "Mother" that bangs on the door unseen (like the "American Girl" Ronette scene in the show). I'd be curious to know if Frost read this book. Or maybe King and Frost are both being influenced by the same something else ("The Monkey's Paw"?).

marblesmike likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

I was considering rewatching the series. After all, I bought the bluray set, so it only makes sense to do something with it, yes? So I started with episode 1 and 2 last night, but I gotta tell you....I'm struggling. There's just so many parts that bore the living crap out of me, parts that I know are totally inconsequential to the overall story.

For instance, the search for the key to the hotel room. We get this whole side thing about the groundskeeper and he's making phone calls and stuff... I just want to fast forward through it. I want to fast-forward through a lot of this. I know this is wrong as this is Mr. Lynch's piece of art and he made it the way he wanted to, but there's no way I'm gonna sit still for the full 18 hours of this.

There are definitely parts I like and look forward to revisiting. What we really need is a 8 hour fan cut to lighten the burden of sitting through the entire season. I feel guilty for feeling this way, but I have to say it, it is the truth. He should have been reeled in a little. Just a little. There's too much self-indigence.

Give us 5 hours of deleted scenes or something, because a lot of this feels like deleted scenes; stuff you watch once, agree with the reasons for cutting, and move on. The series feels like a fan edit where they put the deleted scenes back in and made a movie way too long. A five-hour cut of "Blue Velvet". Sometimes less is more.

What we have now is not much fun to watch in it's entirety. At times it feels like a job. And there's so little to work with when the curtain comes down that it isn't even rewarding to think about what it all means. It's just exhausting.

Maybe I won't re-watch it after all.

trumpet sounds, Wild Frank and rburly like this.
  8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

This

Spitfire and Daniel Plainview like this.
  9. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Even on first viewing, I found the first five or so episodes to be tough sledding -- by Lynch's standards, a lot of sloppy filmmaking and slack editing (along with some brilliant stuff, too).

But from episodes 6 through 18, there are many hours I find beginning-to-end great. I plan to re-watch those episodes when I finally get the Blu-Ray set.

10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am the opposite. I have watched the new series through probably five times now. I just put the episode on and get sucked in. Also they long drawn out scenes didn't seem as long after my second viewing.

11. I agree, it seems to go faster the second time. Maybe because I didn't have that little voice in my head constantly asking me when the hell Cooper was going to show up this time. I had a very different attitude to the series on the second go round.

Jazzmonkie, Culpa and Wounded Land like this.
  12. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

You could almost say it was dreamlike!

13. "If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.”

14. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

15. Daniel Plainview

rburly likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I was not expecting it to really work and I was not expecting it to be so good. I was glued to the series from start to finish. I really enjoyed that it expanded on the old series, took risks and seemed to take in ideas from DL's whole career. And I have never laughed so often (and out loud) for a long time. It felt like a real return to form for DL.

I think I want to get the DVD/Bluray. Does anyone know are the extras on the DVD and Bluray are like?

17. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The extras on the DVD are fantastic, and I believe there are at least a few hours of additional stuff on the Bluray that's not on the DVD.

mr.datsun likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thank-you. Yes I think the bluray has an extra 1 hour. The DVD is 5 and the BR is 6 hours.

But what kind of stuff is it? I could not tell from the sealed boxes in the shop.

19. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

If you are at all interested in seeing Lynch work in his element, the box set is essential. You are a fly on the wall for those 6 hours. It's essential stuff.

Jazzmonkie, Culpa and Wounded Land like this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm just not sure I want to see behind the scenes. I don't want anything explaining. Still, I don't need to watch those bits :L)

In the meantime there was a great DVD doco watching Lynch paint whilst talking about his life – up to and including Eraserhead. Called The Art Life.

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You don't see any spoilers or get any real clarification on the content of the series with the behind-the-scenes stuff in the boxset. It just shows you Lynch and Co. working on the show, and it is really interesting seeing Lynch direct and how he gets performances from his actors.

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sounds interesting. Ok, I'm convinced. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Culpa likes this.
  23. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

24. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Yeah, the blu ray is fantastic. Very much recommended!

25. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

his meticulous direction shows in the immaculate results, almost a Hitchcock level of detail.

Wounded Land likes this.