Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

He's one of those less is more actors. Great eyes.

2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

His reactions to Michael Cera doing his Wally thing were pure magic.

Billy Budapest and Wounded Land like this.
  3. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

TV Shows On DVD

COMING ON 10/15:

* Twin Peaks - The Complete Television Collection (Paramount)
    DVD; Blu-ray
    EXTRAS: A wealth of intriguing, behind-the-scenes special features
    -----For the first time, in one collection, the complete television phenomenon TWIN PEAKS: All 29 episodes of the original groundbreaking seasons; All 18 parts of the "Limited Event Series" - the return to Twin Peaks - that captivated audiences 25 years later, written by the series co-creators and entirely directed by David Lynch. So grab a cup of coffee, a slice of cherry pie, and experience the legendary mystery...again and again!

Bowie Fett, Wounded Land and Culpa like this.
  5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Mister Jackpots!

6. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Wonder if there will be any new extras.

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I wonder if it will even include all the old extras? Some of the bonus features on the Complete Mystery set included FWWM stuff. And there's just no way it'll include the commentary tracks from the Artisan season one set, right?

8. Man, I hope not!

Big Pasi likes this.
  9. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

I think including Season 3 without Fire Walk With Me would be a huge disservice to any potential new fans picking up this set.
    Season 3 was confusing enough as-is. Without Fire Walk With Me, you don't stand a chance.

GentleSenator and Fastnbulbous like this.
  10. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

There is a fan edit out there of FWWM that I watched in the run-up to S3. The fan edit incorporates the various deleted scenes from a prior release - it plays more like 3 episodes of the series and is far more coherent than the theatrical version of the film. Highly recommend seeking it out.

11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Unless you don’t want your Lynch “coherent”. ;)

I love FWWM as it is. In fact I just got to see it on the big screen again after many years. It was still impactful and intense.

The Missing Pieces are excellent on their own, and doesn’t really add too much to the proceedings (though I like the scene with Annie in the hospital... still not essential).

12. A “fan edit” of Lynch’s work really does a disservice to it, IMHO. If you want a more complete picture of Fire Walk With Me, watch it through and then watch The Missing Pieces separately. This probably should not be done in one sitting due to length!

GentleSenator and Jazzmonkie like this.
  13. It adds “everything else” that fans were clamoring for years—although if “coherence” is the end result fans were clamoring for, it doesn’t really clarify much.

14. frozen-beach

As much as it's great to see the scenes in context, it ruins the pacing of the film. The missing pieces use of music and editing of scenes is closer to The Return than it is the original film. The only thing I'd change about the original film is the editing on the David Bowie scene.

Wild Frank and GentleSenator like this.
  15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Yeah, I go back and forth on that one. It really obscures a lot of the background information, as you can barely hear what Bowie is saying. But as a piece of cinema... it's riveting! I've seen the movie countless times, but when I saw it on the big screen last week, that scene really packed a punch. The entire movie, as intended, is gut-wrenching.

Big Pasi and Wounded Land like this.
  16. I just wanted to pick up Michael Cera’s character and throw him into a wall.

Jazzmonkie, Big Pasi, Crungy and 2 others like this.
  17. Well, it has been done before. The first DVD set of Season 1 did not include the pilot! (At least in the U.S., it didn’t.)

18. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Not punch him with your rubber Hulk hand?

19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

20. Regarding the Criterion Collection Blu-ray of Fire Walk With Me, is it the same transfer as contained in the Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery box, and does it have the same extras?

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There was a very nice set of the original show plus Fire Walk with Me... and a very nice set of the new series... what is the reason for this to exist?

22. frozen-beach

The Entire Mystery is OOP, people had issues with certain episodes having out of synch audio, and criterion have a release of FWWM that's a better restoration.

23. How is Criterion’s Fire Walk With Me a better restoration? Are there any published details regarding the transfer?

24. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

zombiemodernist likes this.
  25. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I hadn't seen this before, here's a link to the Twin Peaks page at buf.com. They did many of the visual effects for the Limited Event Series. Lots of pics, and some production notes.

BUF

trumpet sounds likes this.