Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

I don't think that anyone at Criterion is allowed to do any color correction or tweaks on a David Lynch approved transfer.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  3. frozen-beach

Any work done would be approved by Lynch, which he has for their releases. I'm sure he gives them notes. I mean, their Eraserhead release is darker than the original transfer that Lynch himself released.
    Edit: Also worth noting, the Entire Mystery doesn't have lossless for the 2.0 mix. The criterion does.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  4. Joshua Tree

Those were two seperate transfers of Eraserhead both done by Lynch. This is the same transfer of TPFWM we are talking about, despite your unfounded claims. Lynch doesn't give out notes on how wants the transfer done, he supervised the transfer he approved. The selling point of the Criterion are two 20 minute interviews and a 2.0 mix.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  5. frozen-beach

I never said it was new transfer. I'm talking about color correction, grain management. Stuff that's typically done after the actual transferring process. Reason why I think this is because in one theo shots where Cooper is squatting at Gordon's desk, the color on the carpet in the background looks off in The Entire Mystery version. It didn't in the Criterion. I'm talking about subtle stuff like that, not a drastic difference like the green hue on other blurays. There was a comparison image online of this, but I'm tearing my hair out finding it.

And I mainly mentioned the Eraserhead transfer as an example of inconsistency in what he wants. You'd figure if he wanted Eraserhead as dark as the criterion, his original release would have been close to that as well. It's not.

6. Joshua Tree

Color correction and grain management is not part of the transfer and done afterwards? Ok, alright, I'm done.

7. frozen-beach

No need to be like this. If I'm wrong about something, tell me I'm misinformed about the process and inform me. I mean, it's entirely possible I'm confusing it with some other type of restoration.

But I 100% stand by what I said about the comparison shot. I've been searching for it for hours, can't find it. Remember it being a forum, not long after it came out. People initially thought it was gonna be a carbon copy, but we're surprised by slight visual differences. The carpet in in the background being corrected was the one that stood out the most.

8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I've been looking too, just out of curiosity. All I could find about comparisons were these two reviews:

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (Criterion) Blu-ray Review | High Def Digest

CriterionForum.org: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me Blu-ray Review

That doesn't mean it's true, as reviewers often get stuff wrong. :)

9. frozen-beach

I'm hoping it wasn't uploaded on screenshotcomparison, because it's long gone now if it was.

10. Joshua Tree

11. Based on the above, I will not be picking up the Criterion Collection reissue.

12. frozen-beach

alexpop likes this.
  13. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

And, of course, by omitting Fire Walk With Me, they leave another repackaging option open for the future. I've already bought the original series and FWWM on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray, and Season 3 on Blu- ray. I'm done.

Joshua Tree likes this.
  14. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

But what if those six hours contain a plot?

knob twirler and Chip TRG like this.
  15. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The article says Fire Walk With Me and The Missing Pieces are included.

So now that everything will finally be all together in one big set, that must mean Season 4 is on the way! :)

Chip Z and Rupe33 like this.
  16. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Oh, I had only seen that it was the Complete Television Collection. If it includes FWWM, then I'm somewhat interested but will still probably wait.

17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The Complete Television Collection won’t contain FWWM.
    The Twin Peaks From Z-A Collection will contain FWWM.

TWIN PEAKS: FROM Z TO A
    Street Date: December 10, 2019
    Catalog #: 59209549000

TWIN PEAKS: THE TELEVISION COLLECTION
    Street Date: October 15, 2019
    Catalog #: 59208145000

vertigone likes this.
  18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't know if that's something different or if those reports were just wrong, but this new thing does say FWWM and Missing Pieces. I'm kind of hoping that the new extras aren't anything special, so I can avoid spending all that money. :)

19. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Two collections. Weird, huh? :)

Big Pasi and ad180 like this.
  20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Yeah, I’ll be watching YouTube and Vimeo for the new behind-the-episode features to turn up. Can’t justify buying everything again for a few extras.

Culpa likes this.
  21. Joshua Tree

I bought the original series on VHS(UK), LaserDisc(US), DVD (US & UK) and on Blu-Ray, I am done. How many times did I watch the exras? Exactly once. Did they enhance my enjoyment of the show? No, not really. I'll pass on these new box sets.

22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Looks like the Z-A box is $139.99 on Amazon Prime.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It looks nice, but I have Complete Mystery and Season 3 blurays already... unless this new set features Lynch explaining what the hell was going in the show I'm not buying it again.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

25. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

[​IMG]

TWIN PEAKS: FROM Z TO A will be housed in packaging with an exterior adorned by a wraparound vista of haunting and majestic Douglas Fir trees. Once opened, a depiction of the infamous Red Room is revealed with its brown and crème chevron floor and brilliant red curtains. Sitting in front of the red curtain will be an exclusive die-cut acrylic figure of Laura Palmer kissing Special Agent Dale Cooper. This acrylic figure comes inside a plastic display holder held in place by magnets.

Fans will have the option of leaving the figure in place inside The Red Room environment or removing and displaying it elsewhere. The plastic holder can also serve as an easel to display individual images from The Red Room Gallery, a curated set of 5” x 5” printed cards depicting memorable moments in The Red Room. Each package will also contain an individually numbered collectible certificate.

[​IMG]

• Never-before-released behind-the-scenes footage shot by Jason S. and Charles de Lauzirika, of David Lynch shooting the 3rd season in approximately 20-30 minute pieces titled “Behind the Curtain,” edited and included for each of the 18 Parts.
    • A newly-shot interview of Kyle MacLachlan and Sheryl Lee who sit with David Lynch biographer, Kristine McKenna, to look back at their body of work on Twin Peaks.
    • Get “On the Couch” with Deputy Andy and Lucy Moran/Brennan as Harry Goaz and Kimmy Robertson share fond Twin Peaks memories in a newly-produced featurette.
    • A compilation of full-length, unedited versions of many of the Roadhouse performances as first seen in Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series.
    • A special 4K UHD disc with new ultra-high def transfers overseen by David Lynch of the 1990 Twin Peaks pilot, its international version, and the 2017 season’s most acclaimed episode, Part 8.

alexpop likes this.