Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

I vote for Wally's shadow to be the sheriff. Which means there's anarchy on cloudy days and at night.

P.S.: In "The Wild One", the sheriff is named Harry and he has a brother named Frank.

2. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Just saw this posted in a Ringo thread, Ringo and David Lynch appearing together. There was at least one Beatles reference in The Return, and I bet Ringo's a big Lynch fan! :) I'd love to attend, but there's no way that's gonna happen. I wish they'd take it on the road!

BackStory Events and Genesis Publications Present In Conversation: Ringo Starr, Filmmaker David Lynch & Photographer Henry Diltz

"Enjoy a once in a lifetime experience as a member of our exclusive studio audience for an intimate long-form conversation with the legendary Beatle drummer and respected solo artist Ringo Starr, iconic filmmaker David Lynch and renowned photographer Henry Diltz..."

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Legendary Beatle drummer and respected solo artist has to make Ringo proud. :eek:

Culpa likes this.
  4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

OG Twin Peaks marathon this weekend on DecadesTV. Season 1 starts today at noon, Season 2 tonight at 9pm. (So three hours of Lynch directing from 9 to midnight!). I know it's on Netflix, but still it's fun to watch an actual broadcast sometimes!

5. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Easily the best Twin Peaks breakdown I've seen to date. It's 4.5 hours long and truly illuminating (regardless of whether or not it's accurate)...

6. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I watched this last night.....it's interesting to say the least.....

bopdd likes this.
  7. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Mind blown!

bopdd likes this.
  8. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

That's definitely one word I'd use for it! While some of the ideas are obviously up for debate, others seem too pointed to be misguided (in my opinion).

numer9 likes this.
  9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Very interesting! My only major problem is that it basically positions Lynch as a conservative moralist, e.g. viewing rock 'n' roll as a corrupting influence on the general culture. Of course, it does make sense, considering Lynch's 1950s love for pre-rock 'n' roll music of the 1950s. But he still doesn't strike me as a reactionary, given his undeniable avant-gardism.

I also didn't get whether Lynch, according to the analysis, only has a problem with gratuitous violence on TV, or whether he sees it as a problem in the culture at large. Because while the use of excessive violence on Twin Peaks would then constitute a meta-critique of the TV medium, there is a still a lot of violence in his films.

10. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I wonder if Lynch was using both the medium and concept of television to channel (no pun intended) a host of peripheral ideas, and am not sure he was determined to save TV from itself. The idea that the dream world inhabited by these characters was quite literally the show is what attracted me the most. I think Lynch's broader views on post-WWII mankind are probably more complicated than something as simple as "TV violence bad--my show good." All this said, the video did make clear and clever contrasts between "Twin Peaks" and your average murder mystery procedural, among other things. I also very much liked the idea that Cooper became possessed by Bob as a reflection of the audience's demands for Laura's murder to be solved. It's all too much to unpack in a post, to be honest.

I would also add that Lynch might not be a "conservative moralist," but he is quite clearly preoccupied with themes of spirituality and balance, which isn't even to mention his overt fascination with 1950s-era Americana.

trumpet sounds and Wright like this.
  11. 4.5 hours? I’m not sure if I can do that. Maybe over five days.

12. benny

benny Senior Member

That’s exactly what I did. It’s definitely worth a watch.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  13. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I’m an hour or so into it. I’ll give the guy credit for putting some thought into it and coming up with a new take. He’s making a case.

14. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

It is. I'm not sure I agree with him, but I appreciate the effort he puts in here.

15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

16. Yeah, I saw that but didn’t quite know what to make of it. It didn’t look like there were puzzles to solve or a game to play. Just exploring.

Big Pasi likes this.
  17. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Which would be entertaining enough if done properly.

Big Pasi likes this.
  18. True!

19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Why don't they just create a David Lynchland VR theme park?
    Take a wrong turn through the red curtain and you run into Robert Blake...

GentleSenator and marblesmike like this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"You're not going down by Lincoln, are you?"

21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

you get the idea...

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I want to go on a joyride.

So is this like where you put on goggles and see stuff? What apparatus do I need to take part in this?

23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve watched three hours so far, it’s pretty brilliant! Yes I indeed, what it’s all about has always been there to be seen from the start, but it takes a keen perspective (and detective work) to bring it to light, I’m glad this fellow and his partners made this video. Really looking forward to the next 90 minutes!

bopdd likes this.
  24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I finished up Twin Peaks Explained last night, this video is brilliant and has me convinced that it's exposure of the show's overall meaning and dissection of it's symbolisms and metaphors is spot on. This is well worth the 4.5 hours of viewing time, how ever you wish to take it in.

portlandjulian, Rupe33 and bopdd like this.
  25. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

As a quick aside, John Hagelin, the TM expert who appears about 90 minutes into the video, ran for President three times under the "Natural Law Party" banner.